FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

To replicate my problem, in Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04, open nautilus and
switch to List View. Expand the Name column by dragging the column
divider. Now shrink the window width so there is not room for the
complete name column width. The question is how to shrink the Name
column again without making the window wider. I suspect I am missing
something obvious.

This can be a real problem as the column resizes automatically on
entry to a folder so if the folder contains very long file names so it
may be difficult to increase the window width enough.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

On 14 April 2012 16:16, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> To replicate my problem, in Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04, open nautilus and
> switch to List View. *Expand the Name column by dragging the column
> divider. *Now shrink the window width so there is not room for the
> complete name column width. *The question is how to shrink the Name
> column again without making the window wider. *I suspect I am missing
> something obvious.
>
> This can be a real problem as the column resizes automatically on
> entry to a folder so if the folder contains very long file names so it
> may be difficult to increase the window width enough.

Any suggestions anyone?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Jim Byrnes
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

On 04/16/2012 03:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:

On 14 April 2012 16:16, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

To replicate my problem, in Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04, open nautilus and
switch to List View. Expand the Name column by dragging the column
divider. Now shrink the window width so there is not room for the
complete name column width. The question is how to shrink the Name
column again without making the window wider. I suspect I am missing
something obvious.

This can be a real problem as the column resizes automatically on
entry to a folder so if the folder contains very long file names so it
may be difficult to increase the window width enough.


Any suggestions anyone?

Colin



I'm on 10.04 so my observations may not be valid. When I do what you
outline a scrollbar becomes visible at the bottom and I can scroll to
the right and then grab a column border and resize. Also when I open a
folder with long file names the folder does not expand the file name is
truncated with ellipses on the end of the name.




Regards, Jim


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

On 16 April 2012 14:05, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/16/2012 03:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 14 April 2012 16:16, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> To replicate my problem, in Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04, open nautilus and
>>> switch to List View. *Expand the Name column by dragging the column
>>> divider. *Now shrink the window width so there is not room for the
>>> complete name column width. *The question is how to shrink the Name
>>> column again without making the window wider. *I suspect I am missing
>>> something obvious.
>>>
>>> This can be a real problem as the column resizes automatically on
>>> entry to a folder so if the folder contains very long file names so it
>>> may be difficult to increase the window width enough.
>>
>
> I'm on 10.04 so my observations may not be valid. *When I do what you
> outline a scrollbar becomes visible at the bottom and I can scroll to the
> right and then grab a column border and resize. Also when I open a folder
> with long file names the folder does not expand the file name is truncated
> with ellipses on the end of the name.

Yes, you are right of course, there is a scroll bar. I have not got
used to the thin popout bars yet.
I think the auto-expanding column widths is a new thing in the version
of nautilus in Precise. It annoys me I must say.

Thanks

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Jim Byrnes
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

On 04/16/2012 08:23 AM, Colin Law wrote:

On 16 April 2012 14:05, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

On 04/16/2012 03:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:


On 14 April 2012 16:16, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:


To replicate my problem, in Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.04, open nautilus and
switch to List View. Expand the Name column by dragging the column
divider. Now shrink the window width so there is not room for the
complete name column width. The question is how to shrink the Name
column again without making the window wider. I suspect I am missing
something obvious.

This can be a real problem as the column resizes automatically on
entry to a folder so if the folder contains very long file names so it
may be difficult to increase the window width enough.




I'm on 10.04 so my observations may not be valid. When I do what you
outline a scrollbar becomes visible at the bottom and I can scroll to the
right and then grab a column border and resize. Also when I open a folder
with long file names the folder does not expand the file name is truncated
with ellipses on the end of the name.


Yes, you are right of course, there is a scroll bar. I have not got
used to the thin popout bars yet.
I think the auto-expanding column widths is a new thing in the version
of nautilus in Precise. It annoys me I must say.

Thanks

Colin



Though I've tried to get used to it Unity in general annoys me. The
popout bars are just one feature I don't like.


On your version of Nautilus does it save its state when you shutdown?
Everyday I hit F3 for the double pane and then have to adjust the column
widths to something useful for me.


Regards, Jim


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

On 16 April 2012 15:46, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> ...
> Though I've tried to get used to it Unity in general annoys me. *The popout
> *bars are just one feature I don't like.

Generally I think Unity is excellent (in 12.04 at least).

> On your version of Nautilus does it save its state when you shutdown?
> Everyday I hit F3 for the double pane and then have to adjust the column
> widths to something useful for me.

No, Nautilus (1:3.4.0-0ubuntu3) does not remember its state. I have
exactly the same issue.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Davide Alberelli
 
Default Nautilus: How to shrink very wide Name column?

>
> Yes, you are right of course, there is a scroll bar. *I have not got
> used to the thin popout bars yet.
> I think the auto-expanding column widths is a new thing in the version
> of nautilus in Precise. *It annoys me I must say.
>


I experience the same problem when I have files with long names.
The Name column grows larger to let them all in, but this makes the
other columns go out of view.

I have to go to the scrollbar, move myself to right, and then I can resize it.

It's really annoying.


> Thanks
>
> Colin
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Davide Alberelli.
___
On*Google+*and*deviantART.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org