Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Marcos Barbosa

Default ^ character in konsole (KDE)

Em 12-04-2012 22:20, Fernando Valencia escreveu:

Greetings,

*I'm getting problems to use "bc" command in konsole because i
need to use ^ (

circumflex accent) but konsole don't show it.

Anyone know how can i make that character appear?

Thanks.

Press ^and space. The character shows up

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Fernando Valencia

El 12/04/12 22:39, Marcos Barbosa escribi:

*I'm getting problems to use "bc" command in konsole because i
need to use ^ (

circumflex accent) but konsole don't show it.

Anyone know how can i make that character appear?

Thanks.

Press ^and space. The character shows up

was simply as that, thank you so much ^_^

Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Liam Proven

On 13 April 2012 02:39, Marcos Barbosa <marcosestevesbarbosa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Press ^and space. The character shows up

Ahhh... "international" keyboard layout, with dead keys. Sorry, I did
not think of that - we users of US or UK English don't have any dead
keys in our map! The caret must be the dead key for a circumflex
accent...?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Doug

*I'm getting problems to use "bc" command in konsole because i
need to use ^ (

circumflex accent) but konsole don't show it.

Anyone know how can i make that character appear?

Thanks.

Don't know what bc command is, but:* Using pclos I can print a ^
without any tricks, and having set a compose key,

I can type htel, for instance, in the terminal.* I just tried it.*
I would be surprised if your Ubuntu machine won't do

that.* (I have US keyboard with the compose key set up for the right
CTRL key.* If you have a k/b with Microsoft keys,

you could make the right M/S key your control key--it's not good for
anything else.)* Generally speaking, any character

I can print in KWrite, or LibreOffice or Thunderbird mail, I can
print in the terminal. And most mail readers can reproduce

the foreign characters OK too. I'm sure you can set up a compose key
in Ubuntu--I have probably done it myself in

the past, when I was messing with Ubuntu.* That distro has superb
documentation, so look it up.* I've never seen a

command that used a foreign character, but I believe that some
complicated bash commands use the ^ by itself,

so you shouldn't even need a compose key for that.*

--doug

Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Liam Proven

On 13 April 2012 02:58, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> I've never seen a
> command that used a foreign character, but I believe that some complicated
> bash commands use the ^ by itself,
> so you shouldn't even need a compose key for that.

It doesn't need to be /that/ complicated - e.g.

lproven@blackbox-2:/usr$ ls -la | grep ^d

... gives a list of entries in that directory that start with a "d",
i.e., which are directories.

But you are using a keyboard layout which doesn't have dead keys. The
problem Fernando was describing doesn't happen on keyboards without
dead keys.

A bit more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_keys

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884