Old 04-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Willis Taylor

Default vbox

I installed virtualbox and it allowed me to create an engine titled
Win2k but now that I'm ready to install the OS I receive the following
when I attempt to start the engine.

Any help? I used the terminal and added my login name as a user but no
help.

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make
sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them
to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take
effect..

VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:

0x80004005

Component:

Console

Interface:

IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 AM
"Indika Rupasinghe"

As the error says I think u don't have access to the VirtualBox kernel driver from your account. So you should* add your login account to the 'vboxusers' group. You can do it with command

groupadd vboxusers

usermod -G vboxusers -a yourloginuser

or

GUI System -> Administration -> Users and Groups -> Manage groups

Hope this will help u.

Cheers..

Indika.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Willis Taylor

Indika Rupasinghe wrote:
> As the error says I think u don't have access to the VirtualBox kernel
> driver from your account. So you should add your login account to the
> '/vboxusers/' group. You can do it with command
>
> groupadd vboxusers
> usermod -G vboxusers -a yourlogin/user
>
> or
>
> /GUI System -> Administration -> Users and Groups -> Manage groups
>
> Hope this will help u.
>
> Cheers..
>
> Indika.
>

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Willis Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net
> <mailto:th1bill@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>

> I installed virtualbox and it allowed me to create an engine titled
> Win2k but now that I'm ready to install the OS I receive the following
> when I attempt to start the engine.
>
> Any help? I used the terminal and added my login name as a user
> but no
> help.
>
> The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current
> user. Make
> sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by
> adding them
> to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to
> take
> effect..
>
> VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).
>

> Result Code:
>
> 0x80004005
>
> Component:
>
> Console
>
> Interface:
>
> IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
>

> --
> Bond Servant,
> Bill Taylor
> Killer Spade 806 CE
> 1968-'69

I used the terminal as suggested and received "usermod: unable to lock
password file." Iv tried the GUI to no avail also.

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Willis Taylor

Indika Rupasinghe wrote:
> As the error says I think u don't have access to the VirtualBox kernel
> driver from your account. So you should add your login account to the
> '/vboxusers/' group. You can do it with command
>
> groupadd vboxusers
> usermod -G vboxusers -a yourlogin/user
>
> or
>
> /GUI System -> Administration -> Users and Groups -> Manage groups
>
> Hope this will help u.
>
> Cheers..
>
> Indika.
>

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Willis Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net
> <mailto:th1bill@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>

> I installed virtualbox and it allowed me to create an engine titled
> Win2k but now that I'm ready to install the OS I receive the following
> when I attempt to start the engine.
>
> Any help? I used the terminal and added my login name as a user
> but no
> help.
>
> The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current
> user. Make
> sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by
> adding them
> to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to
> take
> effect..
>
> VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).
>

> Result Code:
>
> 0x80004005
>
> Component:
>
> Console
>
> Interface:
>
> IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
>

> --
> Bond Servant,
> Bill Taylor
> Killer Spade 806 CE
> 1968-'69

I'm sorry, as soon as I logged off and in it works. Nobody ever accused
me of being able to follow directions.
Thank you.

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Verde Denim

Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL version?
If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be downloaded from the virtualbox site.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Jack

Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL
> version?
> If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be
> downloaded from the virtualbox site.
>
> Thanks, as always, for the help.
>
> Jack

You need to:

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
-O- | sudo apt-key add -

and then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

As explained in:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Just it.

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL
>> version?
>> If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be
>> downloaded from the virtualbox site.
>>
>> Thanks, as always, for the help.
>>
>> Jack
>
> You need to:
>
> wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
> -O- | sudo apt-key add -
>
> and then:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
>
> As explained in:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

And of course, add the correct source to your Software Sources:

"Note: VirtualBox has been moved from non-free to contrib with 4.0, so
please adjust your repository settings.

Add one of the following lines according to your distribution to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick contrib
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid contrib

Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Verde Denim

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL

> version?

> If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be

> downloaded from the virtualbox site.

> Thanks, as always, for the help.

> Jack

You need to:

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc

-O- | sudo apt-key add -

and then:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

As explained in:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Just it.

L.

I've added the repo, and the key, and done the update to the repo list.
Since the apt-get of vbox 4 is in the repo, it does not indicate whether this version is the OSE or PUEL version. I know that in previous versions there was a difference in functionality between them so I need to be sure that the PUEL version is the one I maintain on my system. That was the reason for the original question. Do you know if the version of virtualbox 4 in the repo is OSE or PUEL?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

Jack

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
NoOp

On 01/22/2011 12:35 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL
>> > version?
>> > If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be
>> > downloaded from the virtualbox site.
>> >
>> > Thanks, as always, for the help.
>> >
>> > Jack
>>
>> You need to:
>>
>> wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
>> -O-<http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc%0A-O->| sudo apt-key add -
>>
>> and then:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
>>
>> As explained in:
>>
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>>
>> Just it.
>>
>> L.
>>
>> I've added the repo, and the key, and done the update to the repo list.
> Since the apt-get of vbox 4 is in the repo, it does not indicate whether
> this version is the OSE or PUEL version. I know that in previous versions
> there was a difference in functionality between them so I need to be sure
> that the PUEL version is the one I maintain on my system. That was the
> reason for the original question. Do you know if the version of virtualbox 4
> in the repo is OSE or PUEL?
> Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

What is the output of:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
and
$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
and
$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose

If you have the PUEL 4.0.x version you will see:
$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4
N: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4
gg@gg:~$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
virtualbox-4.0:
Installed: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
Version table:
*** 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick 0
500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/
maverick/contrib i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/' indicates it was
loaded from virtualbox & is the PUEL version.

VB 4.0 is not yet available in the ose version from the Ubuntu repos:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose
and the last 'apt-cache' policy command above will result in the
following if you do not have the OSE version installed:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose
virtualbox-ose:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1
Version table:
3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
Packages

Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Verde Denim

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 01/22/2011 12:35 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>wrote:

>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Does anyone know if version 4 of virtualbox in the repo is OSE or PUEL

>> > version?

>> > If it's PUEL, I'm guessing the extension pack for 4.0.2 needs to be

>> > downloaded from the virtualbox site.

>> > Thanks, as always, for the help.

>> > Jack

>> You need to:

>> wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc

>> -O-<http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc%0A-O->| sudo apt-key add -

>> and then:

>> sudo apt-get update

>> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

>> As explained in:

>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

>> Just it.

>> L.

>> I've added the repo, and the key, and done the update to the repo list.

> Since the apt-get of vbox 4 is in the repo, it does not indicate whether

> this version is the OSE or PUEL version. I know that in previous versions

> there was a difference in functionality between them so I need to be sure

> that the PUEL version is the one I maintain on my system. That was the

> reason for the original question. Do you know if the version of virtualbox 4

> in the repo is OSE or PUEL?

> Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

What is the output of:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2

and

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0

and

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose

If you have the PUEL 4.0.x version you will see:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4

N: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4

gg@gg:~$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0

virtualbox-4.0:

*Installed: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick

*Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick

*Version table:

**** 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick 0

* * * *500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/

maverick/contrib i386 Packages

* * * *100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/' indicates it was

loaded from virtualbox & is the PUEL version.

VB 4.0 is not yet available in the ose version from the Ubuntu repos:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose

and the last 'apt-cache' policy command above will result in the

following if you do not have the OSE version installed:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose

virtualbox-ose:

*Installed: (none)

*Candidate: 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1

*Version table:

* * 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1 0

* * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386

Packages

apt-cache policy results -
# apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
virtualbox-3.2:
** Installed: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid
** Candidate: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid

** Version table:
*** 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0

virtualbox-4.0:

** Installed: None

** Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid

** Version table:
** * 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid 0
******** 500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ lucid/contrib packages

From this I can see that -
apt-cache policy is a good tool to know about and use;
It appears as though I can install 4.0 from synaptic which will also cause the removal of 3.2;
version 4 in the repo is the PUEL version;

- Have you installed the extension pack from oracle for 4.0.2 as well?

Thanks much for the reply - and the information re: apt-cache policy!

Jack