Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
NoOp

Default vbox

On 01/22/2011 03:12 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> [...]
>> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
>> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc%0A-O->|
>> sudo apt-key add -

>> > Since the apt-get of vbox 4 is in the repo, it does not indicate whether
>> > this version is the OSE or PUEL version. I know that in previous versions
>> > there was a difference in functionality between them so I need to be sure
>> > that the PUEL version is the one I maintain on my system. That was the
>> > reason for the original question. Do you know if the version of
>> virtualbox 4
>> > in the repo is OSE or PUEL?
>> > Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.
>>
>> What is the output of:
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
>> and
>> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
>> and
>> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose
>>
>> If you have the PUEL 4.0.x version you will see:
>> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4
>> N: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4
>> gg@gg:~$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
>> virtualbox-4.0:
>> Installed: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
>> Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
>> Version table:
>> *** 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick 0
>> 500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/
>> maverick/contrib i386 Packages
>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>
>> The 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/' indicates it was
>> loaded from virtualbox & is the PUEL version.
>>
>> VB 4.0 is not yet available in the ose version from the Ubuntu repos:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose
>> and the last 'apt-cache' policy command above will result in the
>> following if you do not have the OSE version installed:
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose
>> virtualbox-ose:
>> Installed: (none)
>> Candidate: 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1
>> Version table:
>> 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1 0
>> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
>> Packages
>>

> apt-cache policy results -
> # apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
> virtualbox-3.2:
> Installed: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid
> Candidate: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid
> Version table:
> *** 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> # apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
> virtualbox-4.0:
> Installed: None
> Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid
> Version table:
> 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid 0
> 500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ lucid/contrib
> packages
>
> From this I can see that -
> apt-cache policy is a good tool to know about and use;
> It appears as though I can install 4.0 from synaptic which will also cause
> the removal of 3.2;
> version 4 in the repo is the PUEL version;

Yes. Backup your /home/<username>/.VirtualBox folder if you are unsure,
then:

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
or simply update via the update manager.

> - Have you installed the extension pack from oracle for 4.0.2 as well?

Yes. You may find this of interest:
<http://blogs.oracle.com/wim/2010/12/oracle_vm_virtualbox_40_extens.html>

Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Verde Denim

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]

> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> # apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0

> virtualbox-4.0:

> * *Installed: None

> * *Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid

> * *Version table:

> * * *4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid 0

> * * * * *500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ lucid/contrib

> packages

> From this I can see that -

> apt-cache policy is a good tool to know about and use;

> It appears as though I can install 4.0 from synaptic which will also cause

> the removal of 3.2;

> version 4 in the repo is the PUEL version;

Yes. Backup your /home/<username>/.VirtualBox folder if you are unsure,

then:

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0

or simply update via the update manager.

> - Have you installed the extension pack from oracle for 4.0.2 as well?

Yep. I backed up the directory for good measure. Didn't need to (so far). The machines seem to be running along well. And the extension pack worked as expected for the card reader as well. All is good in Ubuntu land again.

Good read. Interesting separation of the extensions from the vbox engine. It would be a nice-to-have to put that in the ubuntu repo as well, but I'm ok with downloading it. Just may need to check for updates to those drivers now and again (unless an update to vbox4 would make a notification of that as well, although I don't see why it would).

Thanks, again for the help. I really appreciate your time in replying.

Jack