Old 04-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Phil Sexton

Default Audigy sound card - no sound

I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box"
with Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Does anyone have any hints for configuring this card?

I have installed the files that I have found by searching synaptic
for "audigy" that it returned.

This is my sources.list file:

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016)]/
gutsy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to
upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main
restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy
yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy
yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the
'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it
includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful
features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any
review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to
Ubuntu
## users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security multiverse

--
Phil Sexton: http://www.myspace.com/philsexton
Praise Whistlers Abroad: http://praisewhistlers.org/

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
"Andrew Hodgson"

Phil Sexton wrote:

>I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box"
>with Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

With one machine which has an original Audigy card (from 2001), I always
seem to have to run alsamixer in a console, and unmute the audio out, as
it defaults to only unmuting the SPDIf output.

Hope that helps.
Andrew.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Phil Sexton

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Phil Sexton wrote:
>
>> I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box"
>> with Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
>
> With one machine which has an original Audigy card (from 2001), I always
> seem to have to run alsamixer in a console, and unmute the audio out, as
> it defaults to only unmuting the SPDIf output.
>
> Hope that helps.
> Andrew.

No joy. Both alsamixer and alsamixer-gui show master, pcm and wav
un-muted. That was the first thing I checked.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
NoOp

On 04/05/2008 10:46 AM, Phil Sexton wrote:
> I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box"
> with Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
>
> Does anyone have any hints for configuring this card?
>
> I have installed the files that I have found by searching synaptic
> for "audigy" that it returned.

You might find these helpful:

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Soundblaster_Audigy_c10028.html
[shows working w/7.10 out of the box]
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToConfigureSoundBlasterAudigySEinBreezy>
[a bit old, but still might be useful]
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToSetupSoundCards>
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs

Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 AM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

NoOp spake thusly:

> On 04/05/2008 10:46 AM, Phil Sexton wrote:
>> I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box" with
>> Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
>>
>> Does anyone have any hints for configuring this card?
>>
>> I have installed the files that I have found by searching synaptic for
>> "audigy" that it returned.
>>

> You might find these helpful:

[ snip ]

Actually, the point is that somehow Fedora has MAGIC that nobody else
does.

If the same card "works out of the box" in Fedora 9 (Beta) it should work
in Ubuntu (or anyone slse).

All things being equal, I much prefer Ubuntu to Fedora but Fedora seems
to be the only "fresh" distro of late to be able to detect o a card with
one of the largest user bases on earth.

Fedora 9 - Check

Ubuntu 7.10/8.04 - NO

Mandriva 2008.0/2008.1 - NO

Debian Lenny - NO

Or I could always go back to Windows where sounds works just fine...

*sigh*

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 AM
NoOp

On 04/08/2008 05:04 PM, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> NoOp spake thusly:
>
>> On 04/05/2008 10:46 AM, Phil Sexton wrote:
>>> I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box" with
>>> Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any hints for configuring this card?
>>>
>>> I have installed the files that I have found by searching synaptic for
>>> "audigy" that it returned.
>>>

>> You might find these helpful:
>>
> [ snip ]
>
> Actually, the point is that somehow Fedora has MAGIC that nobody else
> does.
>
> If the same card "works out of the box" in Fedora 9 (Beta) it should work
> in Ubuntu (or anyone slse).
>
> All things being equal, I much prefer Ubuntu to Fedora but Fedora seems
> to be the only "fresh" distro of late to be able to detect o a card with
> one of the largest user bases on earth.
>
> Fedora 9 - Check
>
> Ubuntu 7.10/8.04 - NO
>
> Mandriva 2008.0/2008.1 - NO
>
> Debian Lenny - NO

Perhaps you missed this:

<quote>
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Soundblaster_Audigy_c10028.html
[shows working w/7.10 out of the box]
</quote>

So according to that Soundblaster Audigy *works out of the box* for
some. But apparently not for the OP, so that is why the added links were
provided.

> Or I could always go back to Windows where sounds works just fine...
>
> *sigh*

You could indeed...

Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Phil Sexton

Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> NoOp spake thusly:
>
>> On 04/05/2008 10:46 AM, Phil Sexton wrote:
>>> I have a Soundblaster Audigy card that has worked "out of the box" with
>>> Fedora Core, but I have no sound in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any hints for configuring this card?
>>>
>>> I have installed the files that I have found by searching synaptic for
>>> "audigy" that it returned.
>>>

>> You might find these helpful:
>>
> [ snip ]
>
> Actually, the point is that somehow Fedora has MAGIC that nobody else
> does.
>
> If the same card "works out of the box" in Fedora 9 (Beta) it should work
> in Ubuntu (or anyone slse).
>
> All things being equal, I much prefer Ubuntu to Fedora but Fedora seems
> to be the only "fresh" distro of late to be able to detect o a card with
> one of the largest user bases on earth.
>
> Fedora 9 - Check
>
> Ubuntu 7.10/8.04 - NO
>
> Mandriva 2008.0/2008.1 - NO
>
> Debian Lenny - NO
>
> Or I could always go back to Windows where sounds works just fine...
>
> *sigh*

My card won't work in Windows, just in Fedora Core (and I assume Red
Hat).

I'm still working on it.