Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
N1UAN Bob

Default sudo command

Hi
I ahve an script in the root dir and i have it to run some things i need
it to run i have an line like
sudo /usr/sbin/sample and this one line works fine i have another like
this to run another but it seems it doesnt run right seems it is getting
caught at the password i do not understand why one works and the other
doesnt any info and help to get this right would be of great help
Thanks in advance
Bob

Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Nils Kassube

N1UAN Bob wrote:
> I ahve an script in the root dir and i have it to run some things i
> need it to run i have an line like
> sudo /usr/sbin/sample and this one line works fine i have another like
> this to run another but it seems it doesnt run right seems it is
> getting caught at the password i do not understand why one works and
> the other doesnt any info and help to get this right would be of great
> help Thanks in advance

If you don't post the command with the problem we can't help you. I don't
think that looks like a general sudo problem but a problem related to
your specific command.

Nils

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
N1UAN Bob

ok here are the cmds one works and the other doesnt

sudo /usr/sbin/net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptys3 & this one works
sudo /usr/sbin/flexd this one doesnt work
the second line that doesnt work is suppose to connect to another program
and send data to it but has an connect error if i do this cmd from the cmd
prompt it ask for an password and then it send the data but in the script
it wont
thanks again
Bob

Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 21:52 +0000, N1UAN Bob wrote:
> ok here are the cmds one works and the other doesnt
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptys3 & this one works
> sudo /usr/sbin/flexd this one doesnt work
> the second line that doesnt work is suppose to connect to another program
> and send data to it but has an connect error if i do this cmd from the cmd
> prompt it ask for an password and then it send the data but in the script
> it wont

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread. Please post the exact and
complete command line you are using to execute the script. My guess is
that you are redirecting standard output and/or standard input, and that
this is swallowing your password prompt and/or your password (probably
along with your redirected input).

Regards, K.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
N1UAN Bob

Ok the script name is ham.sh and in the root dir
in the /etc/rc.local file i have
cd /root
./ham.sh
and everything in that script run but that one line i posted
Thanks
Bob

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Karl Larsen

N1UAN Bob wrote:
> Ok the script name is ham.sh and in the root dir
> in the /etc/rc.local file i have
> cd /root
> ./ham.sh
> and everything in that script run but that one line i posted
> Thanks
> Bob

In rc.local put a new line in that is:

/root/./ham.sh

and try it. Also please send the actual whole rc.local file to us.

Karl

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Karl Auer wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 21:52 +0000, N1UAN Bob wrote:
>>
>>> ok here are the cmds one works and the other doesnt
>>>
>>> sudo /usr/sbin/net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptys3 & this one works
>>> sudo /usr/sbin/flexd this one doesnt work
>>> the second line that doesnt work is suppose to connect to another program
>>> and send data to it but has an connect error if i do this cmd from the cmd
>>> prompt it ask for an password and then it send the data but in the script
>>> it wont
>>>
>> Sorry, I missed the start of this thread. Please post the exact and
>> complete command line you are using to execute the script. My guess is
>> that you are redirecting standard output and/or standard input, and that
>> this is swallowing your password prompt and/or your password (probably
>> along with your redirected input).
>>
>> Regards, K.
>>
>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
>> http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)
>>
>> GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28
>> Public key at : random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
John Purser

Bob,

Just a thought. You might want to have a look at your sudoers file and
see if either program is specifically mentioned. Then check to see what
your sudo permissions are (user and group). Sudo can grant a variety of
permissions based on who's calling it and what program they're trying to
run. Also there's a "time out" where if a user successfully calls sudo
then he won't be asked for his password again for any sudo session for
the next 15 minutes (default config).

Finally I'd look at the permissions of those programs to see what the
effective user and group IDs are when they actually run. Mostly just
from permissions paranoia.

John Purser

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
N1UAN Bob

Hi Karl
That didnt even make the script run was i suppose to leave the other lines