Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default TinyURL (Was: 8.04?)

On 05/04/2008, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> With tinyurl you just get a redirection to the actual URL. While they can
> find out from which site you are coming they can't really track you
> unless you only go to URLs via tinyurl. And because you seem to be very
> paranoid, let me ask you what do you do against beeing tracked by Google
> and Doubleclick? You can't be seriously concerned about possibly being
> tracked by tinyurl if you use a Gmail address.

I personally don't care about being tracked for the things that I do
related to the mailing lists. You are right about the Gmail address.

However, routing URLs through a third party has many implications,
including security, availability, latency, I could go on. Not the
least is that one cannot determine where the link goes. I present to
you this example:

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK!!!
http://tinyurl.com/3m4tt
WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK!!!

TinyURL does have a preview feature which reduces the risk, but there
are other drawbacks as well.

My concerns about tinyurl are broader than the context of this mailing
list. So while I don't mind tinyurl knowing that I visited the ubuntu
bugtracker, there are sites that I don't want them knowing about. And
yes, there are those who tinyurl _everything_ as if they think that is
the _only_ way to pass a link.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 05/04/2008, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 12:37 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >
> > Does the fact that the URL spans more than one line really bother you?
>

> You must have missed the many "the URL is broken" threads on this very
> list

Yes, I missed those! I did not realize that was such a problem. If
someone on this list does not know how to patch together a broken url,
then I doubt that we will be able to help him much, however.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
> Both tinyurl and the destination site will have a log of your IP
> address. The only way to prevent that is to use a blind proxy, like TOR.
> They may also record the referrer url, but that is not as likely any
> more since it is too easy to fake. Plus, in Firefox and other browsers
> you can block the referrer link from being sent to the new server.

That's just the problem: tinyurl logs person ABC's access to site XYZ.
Even if they don't, why should they be able to in the first place?

> My question with tinyurl is this. I have dnsmasq running on one of my
> servers as an internal nameserver. It only passes requests for FQDN out
> to my ISP's DNS. I can blackhole known malicious sites by adding them to
> the hosts file on my server with a destination address of 127.0.0.1 or
> just point them at one of my local Apache servers to get a quick 404
> (Page not found) error. I haven't taken a close look at what tinyurl
> returns, but can it bypass my blackhole list and send me to a site I
> already know I don't want?

The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,
kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are
fine.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Res

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>However, routing URLs through a third party has many implications,
>including security

Very right, this has been abused many times in the past, and it's for that
very reason for some time we had a "dead empty" zone for tinyurl in our name
servers preventing local users doing lookups on them, it was removed a while
back now, and I'd have no problem re-instating it if I was to get more
complaints.

--
Cheers
Res

Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

> > I would prefer for my links to work regardless of whether a
> > third-party service is down.
>
> Yeah, same here. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a two-party service on the internet, in general.

Technically, you are correct. Then instead of "two-party connection",
read "X*2 party connection" where X is the amount of hops going /
coming directly from the server.

> > I would expect the people on this list to be able to understand the
> > implications of having links go through a third party.
>
> I think most of us do.
> I think it's just that there are differences between how various people weigh up the percieved benefits and disadvantages of tinyurl.
> I know it's a well-worn statement, but there's not a lot I do on the net that I'd particularly rather wasn't shared with google or whatnot, and for that which I'd like to keep private, SSL exists.

That is true as well. I personally do not like Tinyurl for the
performance disadvantages and because it hides where the link is
going. Slashdot users will know how dangerous a blink link can be.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Patton Echols

On 04/05/2008 10:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
>
> The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,
> kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are
> fine.

I know this thread may be dead, but what is that site that is such a
problem?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Bob McConnell

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 04/05/2008 10:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
>>
>> The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,
>> kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are
>> fine.
>>

> I know this thread may be dead, but what is that site that is such a
> problem?

I don't know, I haven't ever been there and don't recognize it so I am
not going to check. Someone else posted it in an HTML formatted message
so the actual URL was hidden behind the label and asked how to put it
into /etc/hosts so that it was unreachable. I simply looked at the page
source to get the actual URL and inserted the spaces it so it was safe.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 10/04/2008, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/05/2008 10:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
> >
> > The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,
> > kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are
> > fine.
>
> I know this thread may be dead, but what is that site that is such a
> problem?

It is a malware site. It also exploits several browser vulnerabilities
(all browsers) and a few OS vulnerabilities (Windows only).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:59:58 +0300
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/04/2008, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On 04/05/2008 10:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,
> > > kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are
> > > fine.
> >
> > I know this thread may be dead, but what is that site that is such a
> > problem?
>
> It is a malware site. It also exploits several browser vulnerabilities
> (all browsers) and a few OS vulnerabilities (Windows only).

I keep getting 404s from it.

--
Avi

Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
"Travis Smith"

Just seen this they do have a preview feature that in this case if you typed in preview* before the link like http://preview.tinyurl.com/3m4tt then it would tell you Notice from TinyURL admin: This URL opens a lot of
windows with reportedly "distasteful" pictures and has audio saying
"Hey everybody, I'm looking at gay porno." It may also crash your
browser/computer.

Which is helpful if your dying to click on someones posted tinyurl but worried about were it will take you.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/04/2008, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 04/05/2008 10:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> *> On 05/04/2008, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:

> *>

> > The link was to firefox . on . nimp . org (don't try that at home,

> *> kids). If your host file directs nimp . org to localhost, then you are

> *> fine.

> I know this thread may be dead, but what is that site that is such a

> *problem?

It is a malware site. It also exploits several browser vulnerabilities

(all browsers) and a few OS vulnerabilities (Windows only).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.