Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
"Francisco Borges"

Default networkmanager and WEP, and general questions

Hello (again)

This email got sent too early. when trying to indent my list with "tab"....

[...]

I have a Intel wireless card, and I can connect to wireless networks which are
(i) protected with WPA2,
(ii) unprotected.

But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.

1. Could anyone using a intel wireless card confirm if it can or
cannot connect to a WEP network?

2. Other than that, which are the alternatives to NetworkManager for
wireless connection?

[....]

And now some general NM questions:

3. How do I debug a NetworkManager session?

I can see what it prints in the logs, but I cannot find a way to make
sense of that. As in: how to proceed with debugging when certain
errors appear?

NetworkManager will actually, in a rather irritating display of
programming arrogance, suggest through its logs that I need to get a
new wireless card. While the card works with (unprotected, WEP, WAP)
on Windows, and (unprotected, WPA) networks in Linux. But if I try to
use it in Linux for WEP, I need to "get a better one"? What is that?

4. How do I properly restart it? I can't find anything to do that in /etc/init.d

[...]

Thanks in advance to any comments, or suggestions,

Cheers,
--
Francisco

Old 04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Nils Kassube

Francisco Borges wrote:
> I have a Intel wireless card, and I can connect to wireless networks

Which Intel wireless card? I think I saw someone with an IPW3945 having
problems.

> which are (i) protected with WPA2,
> (ii) unprotected.
>
> But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected
> network.
>
> 1. Could anyone using a intel wireless card confirm if it can or
> cannot connect to a WEP network?

I'm using Knetworkmanager - does that count? And with Knetworkmanager and
my IPW2200 card I can connect to a WEP network.

> 2. Other than that, which are the alternatives to NetworkManager for
> wireless connection?

Knetworkmanager, Wicd <http://wicd.sourceforge.net/>, probably others.

Nils

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Shannon McMackin

Francisco Borges wrote:
> Hello (again)
>
> This email got sent too early. when trying to indent my list with "tab"....
>
> [...]
>
> I have a Intel wireless card, and I can connect to wireless networks which are
> (i) protected with WPA2,
> (ii) unprotected.
>
> But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.
>
> 1. Could anyone using a intel wireless card confirm if it can or
> cannot connect to a WEP network?
>
> 2. Other than that, which are the alternatives to NetworkManager for
> wireless connection?
>
> [....]
>
> And now some general NM questions:
>
> 3. How do I debug a NetworkManager session?
>
> I can see what it prints in the logs, but I cannot find a way to make
> sense of that. As in: how to proceed with debugging when certain
> errors appear?
>
> NetworkManager will actually, in a rather irritating display of
> programming arrogance, suggest through its logs that I need to get a
> new wireless card. While the card works with (unprotected, WEP, WAP)
> on Windows, and (unprotected, WPA) networks in Linux. But if I try to
> use it in Linux for WEP, I need to "get a better one"? What is that?
>
> 4. How do I properly restart it? I can't find anything to do that in /etc/init.d
>
> [...]
>
> Thanks in advance to any comments, or suggestions,
>
> Cheers,
I have an Intel wireless card, iwl4965, and have no problems with WEP or
open APs. LEAP is problematic for me.