-   -   networkmanager and WEP (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/64669-networkmanager-wep.html)

"Francisco Borges" 04-05-2008 12:22 PM

networkmanager and WEP

Hello,

I can connect to wireless which are
(i) protected with WPA2,
(ii) unprotected.

But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.

--
Francisco

David Vincent 04-05-2008 03:11 PM

networkmanager and WEP

"Francisco Borges" 04-06-2008 08:25 PM

networkmanager and WEP

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
> > But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.
>
> Are you sure you're choosing the correct passphrase type?
>
> WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> WEP 64/128-bit Hex
> WEP 64/128-bit ASCII
>
> I had problems connecting to my WEP network until I realised I was not
> paying attention and had left it on the default "WEP 128-bit
> Passphrase". NM would look like it was going to connect but then would
> fail. WPA worked fine. Finally I saw the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex" option
> and once I started using that everything was fine.
>
> Just a thought.

I am sure I tried that. But I was always filling in a passphrase on
the "WEP 128-bit Passphrase", and this key (generated from the
passphrase on the router interface) on the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex".

What are you filling in in the Hex key field? An actual key you got
from a phrase when configuring the router, or your actual passphrase?

Kind regards,
--
Francisco

musicman 04-07-2008 01:41 AM

networkmanager and WEP

Hi,

I'm also having trouble connecting to a unprotected network using NM,
atheros chip.

dmesg|grep wifi
[ 40.724167] hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
[ 40.724173] wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
[ 40.926625] wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
[ 40.926773] wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.0.7
[ 40.943135] wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.3.5
[ 40.947499] wifi0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround
for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
[ 40.949365] wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xd0000000, irq=23
[ 40.949593] wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
[ 47.642749] wifi0: LinkStatus=2 (Disconnected)
[ 47.642954] wifi0: LinkStatus: BSSID=44:44:44:44:44:44
[ 48.027940] wifi0: LinkStatus=1 (Connected)
[ 48.028251] wifi0: LinkStatus: BSSID=00:18:39:a5:90:3a

It seems to be dying on the DHCP, or at least the churn for DHCP?

lspci -v
04:03.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
chipset (rev 01)
Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

does anyone have any ideas?

cheers
L.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Francisco Borges
<francisco.borges@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
>
> > > But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.
> >
> > Are you sure you're choosing the correct passphrase type?
> >
> > WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> > WEP 64/128-bit Hex
> > WEP 64/128-bit ASCII
> >
> > I had problems connecting to my WEP network until I realised I was not
> > paying attention and had left it on the default "WEP 128-bit
> > Passphrase". NM would look like it was going to connect but then would
> > fail. WPA worked fine. Finally I saw the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex" option
> > and once I started using that everything was fine.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> I am sure I tried that. But I was always filling in a passphrase on
> the "WEP 128-bit Passphrase", and this key (generated from the
> passphrase on the router interface) on the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex".
>
> What are you filling in in the Hex key field? An actual key you got
> from a phrase when configuring the router, or your actual passphrase?
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Francisco

"with the most sincerity I can muster in my sarcastic tones, I thank you"

Vanessa Culliford, on leaving the TWS.

Smoot Carl-Mitchell 04-07-2008 02:16 AM

networkmanager and WEP

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:41 +1000, musicman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm also having trouble connecting to a unprotected network using NM,
> atheros chip.

I can get connected with the atheros driver on an unprotected network
with NM. It does seem to take a while getting an IP address via DHCP
once the station is acquired.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

jack wallen 04-07-2008 02:19 AM

networkmanager and WEP

does anyone have any ideas?

cheers
L.

have you tried installing and using WICD?

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Francisco Borges
<francisco.borges@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.

> Are you sure you're choosing the correct passphrase type?
>
> WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> WEP 64/128-bit Hex
> WEP 64/128-bit ASCII
>
> I had problems connecting to my WEP network until I realised I was not
> paying attention and had left it on the default "WEP 128-bit
> Passphrase". NM would look like it was going to connect but then would
> fail. WPA worked fine. Finally I saw the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex" option
> and once I started using that everything was fine.
>
> Just a thought.

I am sure I tried that. But I was always filling in a passphrase on
the "WEP 128-bit Passphrase", and this key (generated from the
passphrase on the router interface) on the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex".

What are you filling in in the Hex key field? An actual key you got
from a phrase when configuring the router, or your actual passphrase?

Kind regards,
--
Francisco

jack wallen
www.monkeypantz.net

David Vincent 04-07-2008 05:56 PM

networkmanager and WEP

Francisco Borges wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
>> > But so far, using Hardy, I simply cannot connect to a WEP protected network.
>>
>> Are you sure you're choosing the correct passphrase type?
>>
>> WEP 128-bit Passphrase
>> WEP 64/128-bit Hex
>> WEP 64/128-bit ASCII
>>
>> I had problems connecting to my WEP network until I realised I was not
>> paying attention and had left it on the default "WEP 128-bit
>> Passphrase". NM would look like it was going to connect but then would
>> fail. WPA worked fine. Finally I saw the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex" option
>> and once I started using that everything was fine.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> I am sure I tried that. But I was always filling in a passphrase on
> the "WEP 128-bit Passphrase", and this key (generated from the
> passphrase on the router interface) on the "WEP 64/128-bit Hex".
>
> What are you filling in in the Hex key field? An actual key you got
> from a phrase when configuring the router, or your actual passphrase?

i was being silly and relying on NM to figure things out for me and tell
me what type of key i had to enter - just like XP does. NM doesn't work
like that.

i was entering my hex key into the 128-bit passphrase prompt (thats what
comes up by default) and my network would then fail to connect. once i
corrected myself and added my hex key to the 64/128-bit Hex prompt
things of course worked like they needed to.

but now however, i find when i go to a hotspot and they give me a
key/passphrase to get on, i have to spend time trying all the options NM
gives before i find the one which works (which is annoying) unlike XP
which will just take my key and run with it, figure out what the network
requires and then use it. that's annoying. i haven't tried WICD yet -
anyone know if it fixes that issue?

-d

Catalin David 04-07-2008 06:19 PM

networkmanager and WEP

Yup, Wicd is better than Network Manager. With NM, i had some problems
with WPA networks and I wasn't able to connect to them. With WICD, all
is better now... :) You should try it, if you have any more trouble.