Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Willis Taylor

Default cd/dvd writer

I have a new writer that is lightscribe capable, is there a program for
Linux users? It came with Nero but I do not want to go to Windows

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 AM
NoOp

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Blightscribe

Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Willis Taylor

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/04/2008 08:30 PM, Willis Taylor wrote:
>
>> I have a new writer that is lightscribe capable, is there a program for
>> Linux users? It came with Nero but I do not want to go to Windows
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Blightscribe

Your a gentleman and a scholar, thank you.

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

> On 04/04/2008 08:30 PM, Willis Taylor wrote:
>**
>> I have a new writer that is lightscribe capable, is there a program for
>> Linux users?* It came with Nero but I do not want to go to Windows
>>
>>****
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Blightscribe
>

>**
>Your a gentleman and a scholar, thank you.

Don´t doubt it. He does a great work in the list.

Regards.

Pedro.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Chris Carlson

I'm using Fedora 9 on a "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor
BE-2350". The system (an eMachines computer) came with a CD/DVD
read/write drive (Optiarc Model: DVD RW AD-7200A Rev: 1.W1). When I
load a blank DVD-R in the drive, an icon appears that tells me I've got
a blank DVD in the drive. I double-click the icon, and CD/DVD Creator
pops up. I drag/drop files into the window and then tell it to "Write
to Disc". It thinks for a while, then pops up a little window with the
very clear and informative message, "Error!" I can find no information
on what the error is or what I can do about it.

Thinking that the brand of CD/DVD writer was the problem, I installed an
older drive that I had from a previous computer (TSSTcorp Model: CD/DVDW
TS-H552B Rev: TS02). I get precisely that same results.

I have also tried installing a blank CD-R. This works somewhat similar
but doesn't even provide me an "Error!" popup. I see something pop up
quickly and immediately disappear, but nothing seems to be written.
I've tried this with both drives as well with identical results.

After discovering my sound didn't work because of a security setting,
I'm wondering if there is some security setting for writing CDs/DVDs.
I've modified all my /dev files related to the two drives to rw-rw-rw-,
but that doesn't seem to help.

I put a DVD-RAM disk in the Optiarc drive, and I was able to copy a gob
of data to it. It's unreadable by Windows, but it proves to me that the
drive writes.

Both drives can read CDs and DVDs without a problem.

Below is the info determined by the kernel for the two drives (sr0 is
the TSSTcorp drive and sr1 is the Optiarc drive).

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom//info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name: sr1 sr0
drive speed: 48 48
drive # of slots: 1 1
Can close tray: 1 1
Can open tray: 1 1
Can lock tray: 1 1
Can change speed: 1 1
Can select disk: 0 0
Can read multisession: 1 1
Can read MCN: 1 1
Reports media changed: 1 1
Can play audio: 1 1
Can write CD-R: 1 1
Can write CD-RW: 1 1
Can read DVD: 1 1
Can write DVD-R: 1 1
Can write DVD-RAM: 1 0
Can read MRW: 1 1
Can write MRW: 1 1
Can write RAM: 1 1

Are there any settings or other places I should look for a problem? Is
this a Fedora bug? I'll file a bug if I'm not the only one seeing this
problem.

Chris

Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
stan

Chris Carlson wrote:

[snip]

Are there any settings or other places I should look for a problem?
Is this a Fedora bug? I'll file a bug if I'm not the only one seeing
this problem.

You could run dmesg | less and go down to the bottom after the
failure. You should see some error messages there. I have a problem
with the DVDR but it is that it won't read previous disks. Work in F7,
not in F9. I opened a bugzilla. Perhaps you should do the same.

Chris

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Bill Davidsen

Chris Carlson wrote:
I'm using Fedora 9 on a "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor
BE-2350". The system (an eMachines computer) came with a CD/DVD
read/write drive (Optiarc Model: DVD RW AD-7200A Rev: 1.W1). When I
load a blank DVD-R in the drive, an icon appears that tells me I've got
a blank DVD in the drive. I double-click the icon, and CD/DVD Creator
pops up. I drag/drop files into the window and then tell it to "Write
to Disc". It thinks for a while, then pops up a little window with the
very clear and informative message, "Error!" I can find no information
on what the error is or what I can do about it.

You are going through multiple layers of voodoo here to put a GUI
interface on burning, which also seems to hide what's really going on.
If you want to actually run the commands and see what error messages
they produce, you will probably see the problem.

To create an ISO image suitable for burning:
mkisofs -o /tmp/test.iso -RU some_one_GB_directory
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/tmp/test.iso

The first command should create an image ready to burn, and the second
should do the burn.

Report back.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 AM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

Chris Carlson wrote:
I'm using Fedora 9 on a "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor
BE-2350". The system (an eMachines computer) came with a CD/DVD
read/write drive (Optiarc Model: DVD RW AD-7200A Rev: 1.W1). When I
load a blank DVD-R in the drive, an icon appears that tells me I've got
a blank DVD in the drive. I double-click the icon, and CD/DVD Creator
pops up. I drag/drop files into the window and then tell it to "Write
to Disc". It thinks for a while, then pops up a little window with the
very clear and informative message, "Error!" I can find no information
on what the error is or what I can do about it.

Hi,

I had similar problems when burning CDs/DVDs (on the gnome desktop), but
I partially could bypass them by stopping the HAL daemon before burning
(with cdrecord/growisofs).

When booting into a pure console environment (init mode 3), I got rid
from all such problems.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Mike Chambers

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 13:15 -0700, Chris Carlson wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 9 on a "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor
> BE-2350". The system (an eMachines computer) came with a CD/DVD
> read/write drive (Optiarc Model: DVD RW AD-7200A Rev: 1.W1). When I
> load a blank DVD-R in the drive, an icon appears that tells me I've got
> a blank DVD in the drive. I double-click the icon, and CD/DVD Creator
> pops up. I drag/drop files into the window and then tell it to "Write
> to Disc". It thinks for a while, then pops up a little window with the
> very clear and informative message, "Error!" I can find no information
> on what the error is or what I can do about it.

How fast are you burning? When it pops up to do the burn, minus
actually hitting the OK button, what speeds does it offer you? I think
it defaults to maximum and you mgiht need to select something else?
I've also seen it have to reboot and then try it and it worked.

Hope that helps,

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Chris Carlson

Great info, thanks. I wondered what exactly was going on under the covers.

I'll try this out this evening after work.

Chris