-   -   Desktop Installs (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/64497-desktop-installs.html)

Tom 04-05-2008 02:35 AM

Desktop Installs

I cannot install programs from the desktop environment. I download to
the desks top and unzip the programs (mostly tar.gz) and it creates a
folder on the desktop w/ install file in it. I then go to terminal and
do the sudo apt-get install and the install builds a directory tree then
gives error message: couldn't find package or file. I was working from
the tom@tom-desktop$ prompt. What am I not doing right??

Thanks,

Tom

"stin wang" 04-05-2008 03:16 AM

Desktop Installs

if you have download tar.gz file why apt-get again?

I cannot install programs from the desktop environment. I download to
the desks top and unzip the programs (mostly tar.gz) and it creates a

folder on the desktop w/ install file in it. I then go to terminal and
do the sudo apt-get install and the install builds a directory tree then
gives error message: couldn't find package or file. I was working from

the tom@tom-desktop$ prompt. What am I not doing right??

Thanks,

Tom

Tie Wang
TianJin Climate Center
TianJin Meteorological Bureau
Tianjin, China, 300074
Email: stin.wang@gmail.com

Tel:+86-22-23333559

Brian McKee 04-05-2008 03:43 AM

Desktop Installs

Tom wrote:
> I cannot install programs from the desktop environment. I download to
> the desks top and unzip the programs (mostly tar.gz) and it creates a
> folder on the desktop w/ install file in it. I then go to terminal and
> do the sudo apt-get install and the install builds a directory tree then
> gives error message: couldn't find package or file. I was working from
> the tom@tom-desktop$ prompt. What am I not doing right??

Hi Tom,

Let's backtrack a little bit here. You may know this, but it's worth
double checking.

As a general rule, unless you have good reason to do otherwise, use
Synaptic/Add-Remove Software/aptitude/apt-get to install software. This
gets you software designed for your machine, and makes sure you have all
the required prerequisites in place to run it.

If there's a cool piece of software you've seen, then do a search in
Synaptic or with aptitude/apt-get and see if it's there. If it is, then
apt-get install 'package name' or installing it via Synaptic will
download it for you - you don't need to download or unzip anything by hand.

Now, if you *have* to install something that isn't available that way,
then you might download those tar balls. Unpack it, open a terminal
and 'cd' inside it, and find the README or INSTALL file and see what it
tells you to do. It won't be 'apt' anything - apt works with software
in your sources list, not stuff you download manually.

Usually tarballs like that are the program source code, not a built
program. Often (but not always) you do something like './configure &&
make && sudo make install' to build and install the program. You'll
have to figure out on your own what you need installed before you can
build the new software. Usually the mailing list of the project
involved is a good place to start if you run into problems.

If you build software by hand like that, then you've gone outside of
the whole apt system. It won't be updated automatically, it might
conflict with something from Ubuntu, and it might not work on your
system. I'm not saying don't do it - I'm saying buyer beware, and make
sure you can't just use the built in tools to do what you want, first.

HTH,

Brian

Mario Vukelic 04-05-2008 07:57 AM

Desktop Installs

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 22:35 -0400, Tom wrote:
> I cannot install programs from the desktop environment. I download to
> the desks top and unzip the programs (mostly tar.gz) and it creates a
> folder on the desktop w/ install file in it. I then go to terminal and
> do the sudo apt-get install and the install builds a directory tree then
> gives error message: couldn't find package or file. I was working from
> the tom@tom-desktop$ prompt. What am I not doing right??

You should start with reading the basic help, there are a few things to
learn :)

For your immediate problem:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/add-applications/C/index.html

In general: https://help.ubuntu.com/

"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE" 04-08-2008 08:59 AM

Desktop Installs

Title: Re: Desktop Installs

*

>> I cannot install programs from the desktop environment. I download to
> the desks top and unzip the programs (mostly tar.gz) and it creates a
> folder on the desktop w/ install file in it. I then go to terminal and
> do the sudo apt-get install and the install builds a directory tree then
> gives error message: couldn't find package or file. I was working from
> the tom@tom-desktop$ prompt. What am I not doing right??

If you get a *.deb filem Try dpkg -i (or dpkg --install) packagename

In any case,* you can open Nautilus (file manager) and click on the file icon to install the package (Gebi installs the package for you).

>*Usually tarballs like that are the program source code, not a built
program.* Often (but not always) you do something like './configure &&
make && sudo make install' to build and install the program.** You'll
have to figure out on your own what you need installed before you can
build the new software.** Usually the mailing list of the project
involved is a good place to start if you run into problems.

I would like to see a single command for this in Debian/Ubunt (instead of type* "configure &&
make && sudo make install" , type "make install source" and /or use a GUI for this, in a similar way to Gebi).

Another problem is you have to reinstall when you update your kernel (why ?, there would be a* permanent solution for source installed packages).

Some ideas...

Regards.

Pedro.

"Brian McKee" 04-08-2008 05:33 PM

Desktop Installs

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:59 AM, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
<macanas_ped@gva.es> wrote:

> I would like to see a single command for this in Debian/Ubunt (instead of
> type "configure &&
> make && sudo make install" , type "make install source" and /or use a GUI
> for this, in a similar way to Gebi).

But there are various options you may want to do at each stage. They
are three steps for good reason.

> Another problem is you have to reinstall when you update your kernel (why ?,
> there would be a permanent solution for source installed packages).

Nope - you usually don't. Only when building software that uses
kernel related stuff.... thus why you need to recompile when you
change kernels....

Brian

Mario Vukelic 04-08-2008 05:43 PM

Desktop Installs

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 13:33 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> But there are various options you may want to do at each stage. They
> are three steps for good reason.

And one can very easily set up a shell alias to execute them together if
that is what one wants.