Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 AM
"Yvette Hochberg"

Default USB adapter or wireless card

Hi,
I just joined a digital inclusion network and* I'm new to linux.
I just got a Compaq Presario 6000 Pentium 4 and need a gutsy wireless card or USB adapter.
Anyone know the best thing for me to get and where to get it?

Also, if you're interested in finding out about the network, send me an email and I'll send the info.
We're trying to make technology accessible to everyone.
Thanks,
Yvette

Old 04-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Andrew Thoreson

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 20:55 -0400, Yvette Hochberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I just joined a digital inclusion network and I'm new to linux.
> I just got a Compaq Presario 6000 Pentium 4 and need a gutsy wireless
> card or USB adapter.
> Anyone know the best thing for me to get and where to get it?
> Also, if you're interested in finding out about the network, send me
> an email and I'll send the info.
> We're trying to make technology accessible to everyone.
> Thanks,
> Yvette

Did you try
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsByVersion ?
There are plenty of results on google for wifi cards that will work out
of the box with Gutsy.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 05/04/2008, Andrew Thoreson <febaen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 20:55 -0400, Yvette Hochberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just joined a digital inclusion network and I'm new to linux.
> > I just got a Compaq Presario 6000 Pentium 4 and need a gutsy wireless
> > card or USB adapter.
> > Anyone know the best thing for me to get and where to get it?
> > Also, if you're interested in finding out about the network, send me
> > an email and I'll send the info.
> > We're trying to make technology accessible to everyone.
> > Thanks,
> > Yvette
> >

> Did you try
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsByVersion ?
> There are plenty of results on google for wifi cards that will work out
> of the box with Gutsy.

I think that he is asking the more general question of PCI or USB
interface to his computer. PCI is my preference, and it sits right on
the south bridge with no intermediate protocol (USB). Also, the card
won't compete with other devices for USB bandwidth. Of course, the
downside is that you have to open the computer, which is a problem for
some people.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 PM
debiani386

Andrew Thoreson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 20:55 -0400, Yvette Hochberg wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I just joined a digital inclusion network and I'm new to linux.
>> I just got a Compaq Presario 6000 Pentium 4 and need a gutsy wireless
>> card or USB adapter.
>> Anyone know the best thing for me to get and where to get it?
>> Also, if you're interested in finding out about the network, send me
>> an email and I'll send the info.
>> We're trying to make technology accessible to everyone.
>> Thanks,
>> Yvette
>>

> Did you try
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsByVersion ?
> There are plenty of results on google for wifi cards that will work out
> of the box with Gutsy.

my card doesnt exactly work right out of the box (i had to compile
drivers for it), but most linksys adapters work right out of the box.
The card i use is a Linksys WUSB54GSC

besides, all the broadcoms i have used (all of them laptop wireless
devices) worked out of the box.

--cj