-   -   Can a remaster livecd be installed? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/64450-can-remaster-livecd-installed.html)

Fajar Priyanto 04-05-2008 12:35 AM

Can a remaster livecd be installed?

Hello all,
I got interested in remastering gutsy using reconstructor.
I think the process is successful producing a custom ISO.
When I boot up the ISO in VMware server, it starts upto the desktop.
But there's no 'Install' icon.
Is this the intended result? I mean, by remastering a livecd, we can only
produce a 'non-installable' livecd? Or I have make some mistakes?
I want to make it installable to harddrive.
Any comments are welcome.
Thank you.
http://linux2.arinet.org
07:35:15 up 10:37, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Andrew Thoreson 04-05-2008 12:52 AM

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 07:35 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hello all,
> I got interested in remastering gutsy using reconstructor.
> I think the process is successful producing a custom ISO.
> When I boot up the ISO in VMware server, it starts upto the desktop.
> But there's no 'Install' icon.
> Is this the intended result? I mean, by remastering a livecd, we can only
> produce a 'non-installable' livecd? Or I have make some mistakes?
> I want to make it installable to harddrive.
> Any comments are welcome.
> Thank you.

Have you looked into remastersys?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-with-remastersys.html worked for me. On the downside, it adds the install icon back to your main desktop. You might also be able to get the install icon back by going to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu, and then System -> Administration and clicking the checkbox next to "install", although I'm not sure if that stays on the system, or is the work of remastersys. Either way, I'm unsure how to get it to automatically take the install icon away when it's not on the live CD, but it's a quick and uncommon enough task to do manually.