Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Kevin Merinsky

Default Install

I was looking for help installing Ubuntu on my Mac. I have a brand new
intel mac and i have an old PC i wanted Ubuntu to be on both. If any
one has ideas on how to make a compatible FTP server out of the PC and
Desktop client on my mac, I'm all ears.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Nelson Fernandes

i got a ubuntu cd...but unfortunately my cd drive has stopped workin...i tried to install ubuntu by copyin the cds contents in my pendrive & then install....but it is giving me error that appropriate cd not found....how can i install ubuntu on my comp..pls help me by replyin to my mail ...i wud really appreciate it.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com --

Old 04-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Nelson Fernandes

Old 04-05-2008, 04:02 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 05/04/2008, Nelson Fernandes <nelson_dbittec@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i got a ubuntu cd...but unfortunately my cd drive has stopped workin...i
> tried to install ubuntu by copyin the cds contents in my pendrive & then
> install....but it is giving me error that appropriate cd not found....how
> can i install ubuntu on my comp..pls help me by replyin to my mail ...i wud
> really appreciate it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/FromUSBStick
http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Install_from_USB_drive
http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php?title=Ubuntu_USB_Install

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
debiani386

Nelson Fernandes wrote:
> i got a ubuntu cd...but unfortunately my cd drive has stopped
> workin...i tried to install ubuntu by copyin the cds contents in my
> pendrive & then install....but it is giving me error that appropriate
> cd not found....how can i install ubuntu on my comp..pls help me by
> replyin to my mail ...i wud really appreciate it.

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

if you want to install from a pendrive, you need to use dd or some
windows/mac program to properly extract and copy ubuntu to your
pendrive. You cant just copy and paste

btw. if you have windows on your box, you can download and install wubi.

but, if you dont, it would be much easier to replace the cd drive since
they are very inexpensive now

--cj

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:48:55 -0400
Kevin Merinsky <kevinmerinsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking for help installing Ubuntu on my Mac. I have a brand new
> intel mac and i have an old PC i wanted Ubuntu to be on both. If any
> one has ideas on how to make a compatible FTP server out of the PC and
> Desktop client on my mac, I'm all ears.

What do you mean by your last sentence?

If it's to boot the mac from the other box with PXE over TFTP, see [1]

If you want an FTP server on the pc, and an ftp client on the mac, your best bet really is to have a look in Aptitude (if Ubuntu's on both). I like proftpd and gftp, but there's plenty to choose from.
If you want to have an FTP client on the mac, i've heard good things about fetch[2], but had little reason to use it myself. OSX does have a command line FTP client.

If you want to share files nicely over the local area network the two machines reside on, you want to look at nfs.

[1] http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php/Ubuntu_PXE_Install
[2] http://fetchsoftworks.com/downloads.html
--
Avi Greenbury <god@lordandmaker.co.uk>

Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>i got a ubuntu cd...but unfortunately my cd drive has stopped workin...i tried to install ubuntu by copyin the cds contents in my pendrive & then install....but it is giving me error that appropriate cd not found....how can i install ubuntu on my comp..pls help me by replyin to my mail ...i wud really appreciate it.

Try Wubi.
*
And install apt-zip.
*
Regards.

*

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>but, if you dont, it would be much easier to replace the cd drive since
they are very inexpensive now

I think sometimes it depends on the CD quality. I could not start ubuntu Live Cd from a magazine* CD and yes from the Official ShipIt Live Cd* (although I have the bad fortune I cannot use my Huawei E220 out-of-the-box).
*
Regards.--

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>i got a ubuntu cd...but unfortunately my cd drive has stopped workin...i tried to install ubuntu by copyin the cds contents in my pendrive & then install....but it is giving me error that appropriate cd not found....how can i install ubuntu on my comp..pls help me by replyin to my mail ...i wud really appreciate it.

>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Tru Wubi / Lubi.

Regards.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Derek Broughton

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

> [...]

It very much depends on CD quality. The quantity of data on the Ubuntu
images pushes the limit of what you can do with a CD, and I have had no end
of trouble writing iso images to CDs. Good media should work, bad media
never do. I finally started using DVDs for less stress.
--
derek