-   -   Downloading help - Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/64411-downloading-help-ubuntu.html)

"Cattarin, Alec" 04-02-2008 08:58 PM

Downloading help - Ubuntu

Title: Downloading help - Ubuntu

So I have succesfully downloaded Ubuntu, put it on a cd, and installed it on my computer.

When I restart my computer, (without the cd in), I am left with the message stating;

Uncompressing Linux....ok, booting the Kernel

and it just stays there forever (I mean forever, I've let it run for over 15 hours)

I've checked the cd and it says it okay.

If you have any help for me in this area I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.

-Alec Cattarin

Seattle

NoOp 04-05-2008 02:03 AM

Downloading help - Ubuntu

On 04/02/2008 01:58 PM, Cattarin, Alec wrote:
> So I have succesfully downloaded Ubuntu, put it on a cd, and
> installed it on my computer.
>
> When I restart my computer, (without the cd in), I am left with the
> message stating;
>
> Uncompressing Linux....ok, booting the Kernel
>

> and it just stays there forever (I mean forever, I've let it run for
> over 15 hours)
>
> I've checked the cd and it says it okay.
>
> If you have any help for me in this area I would be much
> appreciative.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Alec Cattarin Seattle

It's helpful if you can provide the following:

1. System information; system type, cpu type, memory, etc. You know, the
basic information about your system hardware.

2. Type of Ubuntu you used; version (i.e.,it 7.10/Gutsy), which CD
version (i.e., LiveCD, Alternate CD), desktop, server, other (Edubuntu,
Kubuntu), etc., etc.

Remember that you are asking the folks on this global user list to help
you. Nobody here is: a) a mind reader, 2) paid to help, and 3) know how
to help you unless you provide some details. Most are quite willing to
assist, but only if you give them something to go on.

"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE" 04-08-2008 07:56 AM

Downloading help - Ubuntu

>So I have succesfully downloaded Ubuntu, put it on a cd, and installed it on my computer.

>When I restart my computer, (without the cd in), I am left with the message stating;

>Uncompressing Linux....ok, booting the Kernel

>and it just stays there forever (I mean forever, I've let it run for over 15 hours)

Try Wubi / Lubi to install Ubuntu, as a second option.

Regards.

Pedro.

P.S. : I am newbie, but I don´t really understand *why* Ubuntu works in a different way in a LiveCd and in a hard disk. If it works in a Live Cd, it would work in the hard disk installation (coherence). So, trying Ubuntu the Live Cd would be a security that it is going to work in the hard disk.