Old 04-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Richard W Harper

Default Trouble with wireless connection after update

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 beta, which
seems to work fine. *My wireless ethernet and

my printer installed without a problem.
*The problem arose when I installed the

313 updates. *I think a kernel
update (now 2.6.24-12; I think that is not what

was installed with the original distribution);
and updated to DCHP. *My wireless

ethernet card is now nonfunctional.
*The card is an Airlink 101 using the ralink

RT2561/RT61 chipset.

lshw: *shows the rt61 as wmaster0
(which I think it should since the Ubuntu uses

mac80211 (linux wireless standard).
*The actual drivers (rt61 and rt2x00 - pci)

are loaded and virtual interfaces created,
such as wlan0 in my case.

iwconfig: *shows the interfaces
wmaster0 and wlan0 as it should (did when it was

working). *

ifconfig: *returns three interfaces
wmaster0-00 (not just wmaster0 - I think

this is why ifup and dhclient cannot
find the right interfaces); wlan0; and

wlan0:avahi (which was not there at
all when the connection was working).

iwlist: *iwlist wlan0 scan - shows
the router as it should.

dhclient: *dhclient wlan0 - says:
*wmaster0 unknown hardware address type 801.

SO: *It looks as though things
became confused when the kernel update (and

built-in driver update) occurred. *

Question: *What to do?

Is there a way to completely unload
the drivers and have them all reload

correctly? *Is there erroneous
configuration information being saved somewhere?

Help appreciated. *I continue to
do research on the problem. *Anyone else had

it and solved it?

rwharper@alum.mit.edu--

Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 AM
NoOp

On 04/03/2008 07:37 AM, Richard W Harper wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 beta, which seems to work fine. My wireless
> ethernet and my printer installed without a problem. The problem
> arose when I installed the 313 updates. I think a kernel update (now
> 2.6.24-12; I think that is not what was installed with the original
> distribution); and updated to DCHP. My wireless ethernet card is now
> nonfunctional. The card is an Airlink 101 using the ralink
> RT2561/RT61 chipset. Data: lshw: shows the rt61 as wmaster0 (which I
> think it should since the Ubuntu uses mac80211 (linux wireless
> standard). The actual drivers (rt61 and rt2x00 - pci) are loaded and
> virtual interfaces created, such as wlan0 in my case. iwconfig: shows
> the interfaces wmaster0 and wlan0 as it should (did when it was
> working). ifconfig: returns three interfaces wmaster0-00 (not just
> wmaster0 - I think this is why ifup and dhclient cannot find the
> right interfaces); wlan0; and wlan0:avahi (which was not there at all
> when the connection was working). iwlist: iwlist wlan0 scan - shows
> the router as it should. dhclient: dhclient wlan0 - says: wmaster0
> unknown hardware address type 801. SO: It looks as though things
> became confused when the kernel update (and
>
> built-in driver update) occurred. Question: What to do? Is there a
> way to completely unload the drivers and have them all reload
> correctly? Is there erroneous configuration information being saved
> somewhere? Help appreciated. I continue to do research on the
> problem. Anyone else had it and solved it?
>
> rwharper@alum.mit.edu

Do you have an alternate means on that machine to connect to the
internet to obtain further updates? Reason for asking is that I use an
Airlink 101 USB-Ethernet adapter (hardwired) and found that it was not
working with
2.6.24-12 - see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/183124

Following the updates (2.6.24-14) & using NM to bring the adaptor back
in, all works again.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 AM
NoOp

On 04/04/2008 06:52 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/03/2008 07:37 AM, Richard W Harper wrote:
>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 beta, which seems to work fine. My wireless
>> ethernet and my printer installed without a problem. The problem
>> arose when I installed the 313 updates. I think a kernel update (now
>> 2.6.24-12; I think that is not what was installed with the original
>> distribution); and updated to DCHP. My wireless ethernet card is now
>> nonfunctional. The card is an Airlink 101 using the ralink
>> RT2561/RT61 chipset. Data: lshw: shows the rt61 as wmaster0 (which I
>> think it should since the Ubuntu uses mac80211 (linux wireless
>> standard). The actual drivers (rt61 and rt2x00 - pci) are loaded and
>> virtual interfaces created, such as wlan0 in my case. iwconfig: shows
>> the interfaces wmaster0 and wlan0 as it should (did when it was
>> working). ifconfig: returns three interfaces wmaster0-00 (not just
>> wmaster0 - I think this is why ifup and dhclient cannot find the
>> right interfaces); wlan0; and wlan0:avahi (which was not there at all
>> when the connection was working). iwlist: iwlist wlan0 scan - shows
>> the router as it should. dhclient: dhclient wlan0 - says: wmaster0
>> unknown hardware address type 801. SO: It looks as though things
>> became confused when the kernel update (and
>>
>> built-in driver update) occurred. Question: What to do? Is there a
>> way to completely unload the drivers and have them all reload
>> correctly? Is there erroneous configuration information being saved
>> somewhere? Help appreciated. I continue to do research on the
>> problem. Anyone else had it and solved it?
>>
>> rwharper@alum.mit.edu
>>

> Do you have an alternate means on that machine to connect to the
> internet to obtain further updates? Reason for asking is that I use an
> Airlink 101 USB-Ethernet adapter (hardwired) and found that it was not
> working with
> 2.6.24-12 - see:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/183124
>
> Following the updates (2.6.24-14) & using NM to bring the adaptor back
> in, all works again.

You might also find this bug report of interest:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/134660>
[Ralink rt2400 / rt2500 / rt2570 / rt61 / rt73 do not work out of the
box in Gutsy/Hardy]