Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Dave Stevens

Default acer laptop problems with wireless and printing

Hi,

I have a friend who has an Acer TravelMate 2480 laptop. I've been trying to
get him to use Ubuntu instead of the currently installed MS Windows XP
Professional. I partitioned the disk and installed Ubuntu 7.10 on one
partition. He now has a working dual boot. The problem area are only two but
I can't seem to make any headway on them.

For one thing, he has a Atheros AR5007EG wireless network NIC. This doesn't
work in Ubuntu although it does in Windows. I could add a USB wireless NIC
and then could presumably pick one for which there is good support (is there
one like that?) but my friend assures me that carrying it around is a pain in
the extremity and he would not likely do so, losing a huge amount of
functionality and in practice making the conversion to Linux fail. I've found
solutions advertised using nswrapper and a workaround using a source only
package that I could in principal compile and link to test. This, even if it
works, seems like a huge fuss, given the very large numbers of these laptops
on the market - is there really no better solution?

Another problem is that this laptop has no parallel port, so he can not plug
in his Canon 4100 printer - it is parallel only. He has a USB to parallel
adapter cable. This works fine with his desktop system (XP) just by plugging
it in. Connects, installs the driver, prints, just as advertised. But I can
not get it to work in either XP Pro or Ubuntu 7.10 on the laptop. No idea
why. Have (on Windows) updated everything in sight and the manufacturer's
driver CD contains only an unhelpful note that XP will recognize it
automatically. For the desktop unit that seems to be borne out, so why not on
the laptop? A Windows solution (I know this is the Ubuntu list) would be
handy, a solution on Ubuntu even better.

Ideas? Pointers to docs?

Thanks in advance,

Davev
--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007

Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Victor Sterpu

Dave Stevens wrote:

[...]

Have you activated the restricted drivers for atheros?

Maybe this can fix your problem.

I also have a Atheros Wireless card on a Acer - AR2413.

I use Rutilt Wlan manager to detect wireless networks.

If after you activated restricted drivers, you still can't see the
wireless network do a ifconfig ath0 up.

Maybe is just not up.

If it stll does not work you must use the madwifi package to compile a
driver.

http://madwifi.org/

MadWIfi is a team of volunteer developers working on Linux kernel
drivers for Wireless LAN devices with Atheros chipsets.*

Another problem is that this laptop has no parallel port, so he can not plug
in his Canon 4100 printer - it is parallel only. He has a USB to parallel
adapter cable. This works fine with his desktop system (XP) just by plugging
it in. Connects, installs the driver, prints, just as advertised. But I can
not get it to work in either XP Pro or Ubuntu 7.10 on the laptop. No idea
why. Have (on Windows) updated everything in sight and the manufacturer's
driver CD contains only an unhelpful note that XP will recognize it
automatically. For the desktop unit that seems to be borne out, so why not on
the laptop? A Windows solution (I know this is the Ubuntu list) would be
handy, a solution on Ubuntu even better.

This convertors don't really work with all the devices.

I had the same problem and I used a very old laptop with sutch a port.

I remember the problem was the number of the paralel port.

Paralel an serial ports are deprecated compared to usb.

Ideas? Pointers to docs?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Karl Larsen

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a friend who has an Acer TravelMate 2480 laptop. I've been trying to
> get him to use Ubuntu instead of the currently installed MS Windows XP
> Professional. I partitioned the disk and installed Ubuntu 7.10 on one
> partition. He now has a working dual boot. The problem area are only two but
> I can't seem to make any headway on them.
>
> For one thing, he has a Atheros AR5007EG wireless network NIC. This doesn't
> work in Ubuntu although it does in Windows. I could add a USB wireless NIC
> and then could presumably pick one for which there is good support (is there
> one like that?) but my friend assures me that carrying it around is a pain in
> the extremity and he would not likely do so, losing a huge amount of
> functionality and in practice making the conversion to Linux fail. I've found
> solutions advertised using nswrapper and a workaround using a source only
> package that I could in principal compile and link to test. This, even if it
> works, seems like a huge fuss, given the very large numbers of these laptops
> on the market - is there really no better solution?
>
> Another problem is that this laptop has no parallel port, so he can not plug
> in his Canon 4100 printer - it is parallel only. He has a USB to parallel
> adapter cable. This works fine with his desktop system (XP) just by plugging
> it in. Connects, installs the driver, prints, just as advertised. But I can
> not get it to work in either XP Pro or Ubuntu 7.10 on the laptop. No idea
> why. Have (on Windows) updated everything in sight and the manufacturer's
> driver CD contains only an unhelpful note that XP will recognize it
> automatically. For the desktop unit that seems to be borne out, so why not on
> the laptop? A Windows solution (I know this is the Ubuntu list) would be
> handy, a solution on Ubuntu even better.
>
> Ideas? Pointers to docs?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Davev

Get a new Printer like the latest HP which sells for less than the
cost of the ink cartriges and has a USB plug. Works on my Ubuntu.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User