Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Gilles Gravier

Default SD Card Reader

Nolan,

On 07/03/2012 21:58, Nolan wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 12:21 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Nolan wrote:
>>
>>> Talking about help. ???
>>> May I please ask why I have not had any response on my problem of my
>>> SD card reader? The problem still exists, and I have not been able to
>>> fine a solution, except to buy and external usb reader.
>> Usually it's because nobody here knows the answer either.
> I thought about that, then reasoned that if that was /true/ none of you have a laptop with
> the SD card reader working in Linux. Here Ubuntu-10.04 (Lucid Lynx).
Actually no. There are many SD Card readers out there on laptops. Some
older models had very specific, proprietary, interfaces for the SD Card
readers, while a USB-connected SD Card reader would work out of the box,
the native, internal one would not, and likely will never, until
somebody reverse engineers the hardware on your laptop.

I've had this on a Toshiba laptop. Everything worked but the internal SD
Card reader. I decided to get over it and use a USB card reader. Never
looked back.

Gilles

Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Colin Law

On 8 March 2012 06:50, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Nolan,
>
> On 07/03/2012 21:58, Nolan wrote:

>>> Usually it's because nobody here knows the answer either.
>> I thought about that, then reasoned that if that was /true/ none of you have a laptop with
>> the SD card reader working in Linux. Here Ubuntu-10.04 (Lucid Lynx).
> Actually no. There are many SD Card readers out there on laptops. Some
> older models had very specific, proprietary, interfaces for the SD Card
> readers, while a USB-connected SD Card reader would work out of the box,
> the native, internal one would not, and likely will never, until
> somebody reverse engineers the hardware on your laptop.
>
> I've had this on a Toshiba laptop. Everything worked but the internal SD
> Card reader. I decided to get over it and use a USB card reader. Never
> looked back.

I had a similar issue and bought one from ebay for 2.65 [1]. It
handles several card types unlike the built in reader.

[1] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-MEMORY-CARD-READER-SD-MICRO-SDHC-MMC-M2-/370592478577?pt=UK_Photography_MemoryCardReaders_R L&hash=item5649087571

Colin

Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Pete Smout

Nolan wrote:

Talking about help. ???
May I please ask why I have not had any response on my problem of my
SD card reader? The problem still exists, and I have not been able to
fine a solution, except to buy and external usb reader.

Usually it's because nobody here knows the answer either.

I thought about that, then reasoned that if that was /true/ none of you have a laptop with
the SD card reader working in Linux. Here Ubuntu-10.04 (Lucid Lynx).

Actually no. There are many SD Card readers out there on laptops. Some
older models had very specific, proprietary, interfaces for the SD Card
readers, while a USB-connected SD Card reader would work out of the box,
the native, internal one would not, and likely will never, until
somebody reverse engineers the hardware on your laptop.

Just to make you aware when a member of my family upgraded his Sony Viao
PC from Win VISTA to 7 he had the same issue with inbuilt card reader,
we googled and searched for relevant drivers, but never found them (even
direct from Sony), he solved it by finding a cheap (5) USB one and we
aint bothered since!! But it is not a Ubuntu / LINUX issue exclusively!

No I cant persuade him to use *buntu dispite my best efforts he says
'I've spent too much money on software now to change!' which kinda
defeats the object but each to there own!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Nolan

On 03/08/2012 08:21 AM, Pete Smout wrote:

wrote:

Nolan wrote:

[...]

Sorry for not trimming, but..

Thank you all, for you replies.

After reading Giles, Colin, and Pete posts I will except the fact
that "this" SD reader is of no value to me, and will gladly buy an
USB unit.

Once again thanks for the info.

Nolan