Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default Growing a RAID6 array on 11.10

I have two RAID arrays on a system. The first is RAID1 and supports
/boot, swap / and /home. The second is RAID6 and supports everything
else. It currently has 4 3TB drives. I have 3 more sitting in the
tower and want to add them to the RAID6 array.

I was using Disk Utility to try to add these three drives but it doesn't
seem to want to do it with the array up and running. When I take the
array down I'm denied access to the array controls in "Edit Components"
so I can't tell it to add drives.

I remove the partitions from the 3 drives (initialized as GPT). Then I
go into "Edit Components". I see the three drives. I am told they each
have no partitions and each have 3TB available for use.

I go to add one drive. I click the box to add it and the click
"Expand". I authenticate then get this message:

Error expanding RAID Array.
An error occurred while performing on operation on "hitchcock RAID6"
(6.0 TB RAID-6 Array): The operation failed

Detail information says:

Error expanding array: helper script exited with exit code 1:
mdadm: added /dev/sdc1
mdadm: Need to backup 6144K of critical section..

I now see the new drive in the RAID6 array as a spare.

What am I missing here? If I can't figure this out I guess it will be a
reboot into a run-level 1 root shell to douse mdadm. Any pointers from
those of you who are quite familiar with using Disk Utility and RAID arrays?

--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net