Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Tom Poe

Default They broke my firefox video!!

On 03/06/2012 05:03 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
Jeeeezzz... after last night's flurry of updates, I now get this open
chest looking icon display where videos are supposed to happen. Right
clicking doesn't identify what it is... I just tried YouTube and it
shows the open chest icon first, then shows a box with a red crossed
circle that complains no file. It was all working nicely before I went
to bed. Crimminy.... BAH! And we were just complaining about Fedora. Ric

Ric: I'm running 11.10, and have reinstalled twice due to updates that
crashed video. I now have third iteration of 11.10, and have refused
all updates. Still running smooth. I too, am convinced the updates are
seriously flawed, either with chromium updates, or gnash updates. I've
tried reinstalling both, with no luck, no change, no clue as to what the
issue is. Good luck. Let me know, since I would like to be able to
keep up with updates on my old desktop computer a little longer.

Tom

Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Tom, I had to dig. For one thing I never install gnash, as it's pretty
much hopeless as a drop in replacement for adobe flash installer. BUT!
Somehow, it got dragged in, like my neighbor's cat died and was left it
on my porch.

So, I'm hunting it down and finally, using alternatives configurator, I
found the little beasty and DELETED it's entry, after selecting normal
flash. Now I have flash back up and running. Just look for the mozilla
flash plugin entry, edit it back to normal, then smack the gnash entry
out of the ballpark. I enjoyed that part. Funny thing that it still
remained, even after I deleted the package. I'm really glad I wsn't
showing off my box today.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Avi Greenbury

Ric Moore wrote:

> Jeeeezzz... after last night's flurry of updates, I now get this open
> chest looking icon display where videos are supposed to happen. Right
> clicking doesn't identify what it is... I just tried YouTube and it
> shows the open chest icon first, then shows a box with a red crossed
> circle that complains no file. It was all working nicely before I
> went to bed. Crimminy.... BAH! And we were just complaining about
> Fedora. Ric

That sounds like your Flash plugin is broken or missing (or, at least,
Firefox can't use it for some reason).

How was it configured before? I presume Flash was working, but do you
know how you installed it? Simply doing

sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree

*should* pull in the Adobe flash plugin and make the video Just Work
again. Failing that, could you open aboutlugins in Firefox and see
what there is in there for Flash?

--
Avi

Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
nepal

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:51:07 -0600
Tom Poe <tompoe@meltel.net> wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 05:03 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Jeeeezzz... after last night's flurry of updates, I now get this
> > open > chest looking icon display where videos are supposed to
> > happen. Right > clicking doesn't identify what it is... I just
> > tried YouTube and it > shows the open chest icon first, then shows
> > a box with a red crossed > circle that complains no file. It was
> > all working nicely before I went > to bed. Crimminy.... BAH! And we
> > were just complaining about Fedora. Ric
> >
> Ric: I'm running 11.10, and have reinstalled twice due to updates
> that crashed video. I now have third iteration of 11.10, and have
> refused all updates. Still running smooth. I too, am convinced the
> updates are seriously flawed, either with chromium updates, or gnash
> updates. I've tried reinstalling both, with no luck, no change, no
> clue as to what the issue is. Good luck. Let me know, since I would
> like to be able to keep up with updates on my old desktop computer a
> little longer. Tom

I'm running 11.10 mint and have this problem too, with the Chromium
browser and flash. On reading about your problem, I checked and I have
this problem too. I've tried reinstalling but no change. I do not have
apparently, any gnash or other alternative AFAICT. However, I can go to
RT.com and watch a Keiser Report,

http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/episode-258-max-keiser/

so does this not use flash but another video driver?

But there are other video links on that site that do not work, just
provide a static image, like below;

http://rt.com/news/cia-blackwater-mossad-syria-037/

All is working correctly AFAICT within Firefox 10.0.2

Any suggestions?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Ric Moore

On 03/07/2012 06:05 AM, nepal wrote:

[...]

Yup, run alternatives-configurator GUI application. Look for
mozilla-flash-plugin and correct the entry to flash and not gnash. Damn
thing is persistent even after you remove the gnash packages. You might
want to delete the gnash option as well, just to put a stake into it's
heart. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html