FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Gerhard Magnus
 
Default xscreensaver issues

I am in the process of changing the linux distribution on my small LAN
from Fedora to Ubuntu 11.10. Whatever the issues may be with Ubuntu,
they're nothing compared to the disaster Fedora has turned into. I don't
mind every little thing being an adventure with linux, but solving
"computer problems" isn't my main form of entertainment in this life. And
when things as basic as ssh and NFS no longer work, and developers have
made huge changes without documenting much of anything... well, it's time
to move on.


Many Ubuntu-related websites -- e.g.
http://shuffleos.com/3176/how-to-enable-screensavers-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelt/
-- give instructions for installing xscreensaver as basically (1) remove
gnome-screensaver, (2) install xscreensaver-related packages, and (3) add
xscreensaver -nosplash to the "Startup Applications Preferences" list. I
did this.


But then xscreensaver never started and when I tried starting it from Dash
the system froze. So I took it off the Startup list and started it
manually. I then got these two messages (and replied "Yes" to both):


"The GNOME screensaver daemon appears to be running. It must be stopped
for XScreenSaver to work properly. Stop the GNOME screensaver daemon now?"


"The XScreensaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display :0. Launch
it now?"


Then I was able to configure xscreensaver and then get it working by
hitting the "Preview" button. Assuming I first start if from Dash,
xscreensaver will now also begin its display after the time I have set
for it on the configuration panel.


Problems:
(1) Apparently gnome-screensaver is re-installed and automatically starts
up with each boot regardless of whether I remove it! Why does this happen
and how can I stop it? Does it matter in terms of...
(2) I am still unable to start xscreensaver automatically from the Startup
Preferences.


Any suggestions as to how I can further hack away at this would be most
appreciated.


Jerry



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default xscreensaver issues

On 03/06/2012 04:19 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:


I am in the process of changing the linux distribution on my small LAN
from Fedora to Ubuntu 11.10. Whatever the issues may be with Ubuntu,
they're nothing compared to the disaster Fedora has turned into. I don't
mind every little thing being an adventure with linux, but solving
"computer problems" isn't my main form of entertainment in this life.
And when things as basic as ssh and NFS no longer work, and developers
have made huge changes without documenting much of anything... well,
it's time to move on.


Welcome to the land of the RedHat ex-pats! I sincerely believe that if
Bob Young had stayed on, that the boxed set would still be alive, as he
understood that the future support paying admins needed a sandbox to
grow and thrive in. It was like divorcing an unfaithful harsh mistress.
And, previously, I worked there. I just needed to get MY stuff done.
Again, welcome! Ric



--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Pete Smout
 
Default xscreensaver issues

On 06/03/12 22:34, Ric Moore wrote:

On 03/06/2012 04:19 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:


I am in the process of changing the linux distribution on my small LAN
from Fedora to Ubuntu 11.10. Whatever the issues may be with Ubuntu,
they're nothing compared to the disaster Fedora has turned into. I don't
mind every little thing being an adventure with linux, but solving
"computer problems" isn't my main form of entertainment in this life.
And when things as basic as ssh and NFS no longer work, and developers
have made huge changes without documenting much of anything... well,
it's time to move on.


Welcome to the land of the RedHat ex-pats! I sincerely believe that if
Bob Young had stayed on, that the boxed set would still be alive, as he
understood that the future support paying admins needed a sandbox to
grow and thrive in. It was like divorcing an unfaithful harsh mistress.
And, previously, I worked there. I just needed to get MY stuff done.
Again, welcome! Ric



Hi,
I have since 'regressed' back to lucid (10.04 LTS) for reasons
previously run to exhaustion on this list (just search unity!!) but I
did have x-screensaver running ok on 11.10 before the 'downgrade'!


from memory I had to 'completely remove' the gnome-screensaver (and all
bits) in synaptic, then install x-screensaver and add it to my startup
apps. list. the only thing I never sorted was the smplayer would not
disable screensaver when in full screen, but I am sure that if I looked
in the code for smplayer I would find a reference to the gnome
screensaver which needed changing, but I lost patience and 'downgraded'
before I looked into that.


Hope this helps

regards

Pete


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default xscreensaver issues

On 03/08/2012 11:07 AM, Pete Smout wrote:

On 06/03/12 22:34, Ric Moore wrote:

On 03/06/2012 04:19 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:


I am in the process of changing the linux distribution on my small LAN
from Fedora to Ubuntu 11.10. Whatever the issues may be with Ubuntu,
they're nothing compared to the disaster Fedora has turned into. I don't
mind every little thing being an adventure with linux, but solving
"computer problems" isn't my main form of entertainment in this life.
And when things as basic as ssh and NFS no longer work, and developers
have made huge changes without documenting much of anything... well,
it's time to move on.


Welcome to the land of the RedHat ex-pats! I sincerely believe that if
Bob Young had stayed on, that the boxed set would still be alive, as he
understood that the future support paying admins needed a sandbox to
grow and thrive in. It was like divorcing an unfaithful harsh mistress.
And, previously, I worked there. I just needed to get MY stuff done.
Again, welcome! Ric



Hi,
I have since 'regressed' back to lucid (10.04 LTS) for reasons
previously run to exhaustion on this list (just search unity!!) but I
did have x-screensaver running ok on 11.10 before the 'downgrade'!

from memory I had to 'completely remove' the gnome-screensaver (and all
bits) in synaptic, then install x-screensaver and add it to my startup
apps. list. the only thing I never sorted was the smplayer would not
disable screensaver when in full screen, but I am sure that if I looked
in the code for smplayer I would find a reference to the gnome
screensaver which needed changing, but I lost patience and 'downgraded'
before I looked into that.


Just installing xfce would have saved you the trouble and you'd be
running the newest stuff. But, not as NEW as the beta stuff in Fedora.
There is a diff between NEW here and NEW there.. thankfully. Ric




--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org