Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Pete Smout

Default xorg 100% CPU usage

On 05/03/12 21:10, Pete Smout wrote:
Hi,

For about a week now my laptop (ubuntu 10.04 LTS fully updated) has been
freezing up for approx 30 secs, with gkrellm and top showing xorg using
100% cpu usage?
There seems to be no pattern to what programs I am using, everything
from open office to clementine to smplayer or thunderbird, not at any
certain time of day or day of the week, or even weather using the
inbuilt screen or external one.

My understanding (admittedly limited) is that xorg is the bit that works
the display (screen). Has anyone else come across this?

For reference the laptop specs are:

Acer Aspire 5720
Intel T5250 Dual core processor
Ram 2.0 gb
Internal graphics (intel)
Internal sound (intel)

Thanks in advance for any ideas

just for reference my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

regards

Pete

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Pete Smout

[...]

I am still struggling with this issue, I have now manually edited my
xorg.conf so the 'Driver' is now intel but this has not solved the problem.

I have checked the x logs in the 'Log File Viewer' and found no glaring
errors I could spot!

Anyone know where to look next?

Thanks

Pete