Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Ric Moore

Default eject not working unless I'm root

Anyone knows what gives with that??
My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times.
Using Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played
a music CD but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the
cdrom group. There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the
grinder as I had to sudo eject for it to happen. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Colin Law

On 6 March 2012 08:40, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone knows what gives with that??
> My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times. Using
> Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played a music CD
> but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the cdrom group.
> There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the grinder as I had to
> sudo eject for it to happen. *Ric

I find that when I burn a CD that it cannot eject the disk and comes
up with a message asking me to do it manually. I wonder if that is a
similar issue. Next time it happens I will see if will eject with the
eject command, with or without sudo.

Does eject -v tell you anything?

Colin

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Jkhatri

My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times. Using
Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played a music CD
but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the cdrom group.
There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the grinder as I had to
sudo eject for it to happen. *Ric

I find that when I burn a CD that it cannot eject the disk and comes
up with a message asking me to do it manually

In my case ... when I get the message about manually ejecting* the
disk ... My CD or DVD gets fail , it says the disk is written
successfully but I'm not able to read the disk ( it happens
locationally not every time* ) *

Regard

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Liam Proven

On 6 March 2012 08:40, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone knows what gives with that??
> My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times. Using
> Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played a music CD
> but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the cdrom group.
> There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the grinder as I had to
> sudo eject for it to happen. *Ric

Is that not normal? I'm not sure, I seldom use `eject` except when
doing things like copying disks, when I normally do run as root.

Have you tried unmounting the disk first?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Ric Moore

My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times. Using
Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played a music CD
but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the cdrom group.
There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the grinder as I had to
sudo eject for it to happen. Ric

I find that when I burn a CD that it cannot eject the disk and comes
up with a message asking me to do it manually. I wonder if that is a
similar issue. Next time it happens I will see if will eject with the
eject command, with or without sudo.

Does eject -v tell you anything?

Hey! It works! There was a flurry of updates last night, and that must
have been one of the fixes. I also note that the group video has been
added to my groups. Gonna check things out to see what works and what
doesn't. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Ric Moore

My DVD isn't playing and yes, been through the how-to a dozen times. Using
Xubuntu 11.10. A data disk is recognized. A few days ago I played a music CD
but now that doesn't work either. My user is a member of the cdrom group.
There must be a flakey udev rule tossing things into the grinder as I had to
sudo eject for it to happen. Ric

Is that not normal? I'm not sure, I seldom use `eject` except when
doing things like copying disks, when I normally do run as root.

Have you tried unmounting the disk first?

As I mentioned, after last night's updates, it works now. The eject
command is linked to /dev/cdrom. Your user should be in the group
"cdrom" in order to eject stuff. So, when I had to sudo the command,
something was dead wrong. It works now, without the sudo. "Yeah," says
Detective Ric, "I was hot on their trail of stale smokes and warm beers.'

Now I can play a cd. No go on DVD's as of yet. Would someone post their
working desktop preferences command to play a DVD? I have:

vlc dvd://%d in mine.

I think I've been here before ...deja vu.
<weeeeuuuh!> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

The setting to run vlc should simply be "vlc %U" and you select vlc as
the default app. with which to play anything CD or DVD.

In my case, however, because I use vlc to watch TV the command I use is
"vlc %U /home/<name>/.xine/channels.conf" which automatically starts the
TV reception from the list of channels sitting in /.xine directory.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
Niccolo Machiavelli