Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 AM
CJ Tres

Default partitioning 4K 3 TB USB hd for 64 bit Ubuntu 11.10

This install episode has been rather convoluted but I believe I've
included all relevant info. I've been going 'round and 'round for a
couple days now.

I have, several times, tried to partition and install on this disc.
I've used gparted and Parted Magic which are two programs that handle
gpt partition tables to partition the drive before install every time.

Last time, I made a 1 MB partition and set the grub_bios flag as I was
told that Ubuntu would use the partition if necessary.
The / partition was about 74 GB, 2 GB for /swap and the remaining 2.3
(or so) TB dedicated to /home and I made a small /boot of about 256 MB.

On running the installer partitioner it reports the wrong sizes:

SCSI9 (0,0,0) (sdc) - 375.1 GB Seagate GoFlex Desk
128.0 kB FREE SPACE
#1 131.1 kB K biosgrub
#4 33.8 MB
#5 9.9 GB
#2 366.9 MB
#3 364.8 GB
57.3 kB FREE SPACE

Rebooting into my Natty install I issued df -h and see:

/dev/sdc5 73G 180M 69G 1% /media/_root
/dev/sdc1 992K 24K 920K 3%
/media/f4948c28-fdee-4bc1-a694-2d311fe0037f

/dev/sdc4 250M 152K 237M 1% /media/_boot
/dev/sdc3 2.7T 202M 2.5T 1%
/media/87c1e48b-0f88-471a-89fd-58fa9dce5d35

...which is as it should be except the 2 G swap isn't showing.

My hardware is not efi/uefi and there will be no Windows on the disc or
the machine.

I'm trying, this time, to install from the alternate 64 bit dvd media.

Previous attempts with 32 bit refused to install grub, either to the 1st
disc (/sda holds only Natty) mbr or to the mbr of the 3 TB disc /sdc.

This was one of a few attempts - a couple with mbr partition table
-until I discovered I need gpt to recognize/make use of the whole drive.

Not sure but I believe I also attempted it with gpt table also.

What can I do to get this install happening when the Ubu installer is
telling me lies?

In case this matters:

I did manage to get one 32 bit install completed (I think) from the
desktop dvd media, after the "cannot install grub" complaint, when it
gave me the option to place grub elsewhere. I told it /dev/sdd (the 3 TB
drive) when /dev/sda (the Natty install) failed and it seemed to be ok
with that.

But upon running "sudo debconf-show grub-pc", the "grub-
pc/install_devices" line showed only the /dev/sda drive.

I then booted to the 11.10 install media and ran:
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot, twice, once with /dev/sda
and again with /dev/sdc as the targets (both had been mounted on /mnt
first).

Both commands exited cleanly and were reported as "successful with no
errors".

But..

Looking at debconf-show grub-pc, again, only sda was showing as having
grub installed.

So anyway what's going on with the Ubu partitioner reporting incorrect
partition sizes and what black magic must be invoked to make this
install happen?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Liam Proven

On 5 March 2012 02:26, CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:
> ...which is as it should be except the 2 G swap isn't showing.

First things first: that is normal. Swap is not free space and does
not show up as such with the `df` command.

It should show up if it is "live" - i.e. `swapon` has been issued to
tell the kernel to use it, or it was in /etc/fstab at boot, or if a
liveCD detected it and used it - if you use the `free` or `top`
commands.

I'm afraid I have no personal experience of GPT partitioning just yet
except on Intel-powered Apple Macintosh systems so I can't advise on
configuring the drive.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

#1 131.1 kB K biosgrub
#4 33.8 MB
#5 9.9 GB
#2 366.9 MB
#3 364.8 GB
57.3 kB FREE SPACE

[...]

yup

Both commands exited cleanly and were reported as "successful with no
errors".
But..

yup

Looking at debconf-show grub-pc, again, only sda was showing as having
grub installed.

yup

So anyway what's going on with the Ubu partitioner reporting incorrect
partition sizes and what black magic must be invoked to make this
install happen?

On my at home media server (which doubles also as my mixing console and
DAW when I'm working on compositions) I have abandoned attempts to have
RAID1 boot drives > 2TB with GPT. I have decided to use my 2TB drives
with MBR for boot/swap/root/home partitions in a RAID1 setup. And then
use my 3TB drives with GPT for a massive RADI6 array for everything
else. I set the RAID1 pair up through the alternate installer. Then
setup the RAID6 array using Disk Utility. Started with 4*3TB and will be
adding in more drives later this week for 7 total.

Good luck on this project of yours. I'd like to see it work so I can
learn how to do it myself. I cut my losses and decided to not spend any
more time on this for now. Maybe in a couple of months I will come back
to this on a spare machine and hack at it until a RAID1 boot pair can be
done as GPT using 3TB or 4TB drives. I ran out of patience and the time
to continue faffing about with it. YMMV.
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
CJ Tres

[...]

Good to know I'm not alone.
I'll keep playing with it for a bit longer but I'll probably end up
using the big guy for data and put the OS on a smaller drive, on the
other hand, maybe I'll get lucky.

BTW - I'm liking the first two tracks - Systems Theory - interesting stuff!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

On my at home media server (which doubles also as my mixing console and
DAW when I'm working on compositions) I have abandoned attempts to have
RAID1 boot drives > 2TB with GPT. I have decided to use my 2TB drives
with MBR for boot/swap/root/home partitions in a RAID1 setup. And then
use my 3TB drives with GPT for a massive RAID6 array for everything
else. I set the RAID1 pair up through the alternate installer. Then
setup the RAID6 array using Disk Utility. Started with 4*3TB and will be
adding in more drives later this week for 7 total.

Good luck on this project of yours. I'd like to see it work so I can
learn how to do it myself. I cut my losses and decided to not spend any
more time on this for now. Maybe in a couple of months I will come back
to this on a spare machine and hack at it until a RAID1 boot pair can be
done as GPT using 3TB or 4TB drives. I ran out of patience and the time
to continue faffing about with it. YMMV.

Good to know I'm not alone.
I'll keep playing with it for a bit longer but I'll probably end up
using the big guy for data and put the OS on a smaller drive, on the
other hand, maybe I'll get lucky.

Now I'm having an issue with adding extra drives into the RAID6 array. I
was using Disk Utility but it doesn't seem to want to do it with the
array up and running, and when I take the array down I'm denied access
to the array controls so I can't tell it to add drives. Frustrating and
makes me feel as thick as a brick. I guess I will have to do it the
old-fashioned command line way directly accessing mdadm, at a reduced
system run-level of 1.

BTW - I'm liking the first two tracks - Systems Theory - interesting stuff!

Thanks. I'll make a one-off pitch here for anyone reading this. Go to my
bandmate Mike Dickson's site and d/l band and solo MP3s for free:

<http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/>

You can also hear some of the demos for the new "overfulnoisecascade"
album here:

<http://www.soundcloud.com/systemstheory>