Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Kirk Strauser

Default Hardy Emacs with ugly fonts

I'm using emacs22-gtk in Hardy, but want to enable nice fonts. I've played
with a few HOWTOs on the web but without success. I've verified that it's
definitely linked against Xft:

$ ldd /usr/bin/emacs22-gtk | grep Xft
libXft.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXft.so.2 (0xb781c000)

but even when I configure it to use a font like Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,
it's still jagged. Everything seemed to indicate that this was a simple
feature to enable, so I'm a little bit lost here. Any advice?
--
Kirk Strauser

Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Rich Renomeron

Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using emacs22-gtk in Hardy, but want to enable nice fonts.

Install emacs-snapshot-gtk, and look here for how to configure:

http://peadrop.com/blog/2007/01/06/pretty-emacs/

Good luck,
Rich

--
From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
The browser, reloaded. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Kirk Strauser

On Friday 04 April 2008, Rich Renomeron wrote:
> Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > I'm using emacs22-gtk in Hardy, but want to enable nice fonts.
>
> Install emacs-snapshot-gtk, and look here for how to configure:

Why, though? Shouldn't emacs22-gtk have the same goodies as that article
described, particularly the inclusion of libXft?
--
Kirk Strauser

Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Kirk Strauser

On Friday 04 April 2008, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using emacs22-gtk in Hardy, but want to enable nice fonts. I've
> played with a few HOWTOs on the web but without success. I've verified
> that it's definitely linked against Xft:

To amplify on that, the only linkage differences between emacs22-gtk and
emacs-snapshot-gtk are:

libbz2.so.1.0
libcroco-0.6.so.3
libdbus-1.so.3
libgif.so.4
libgio-2.0.so.0
libgsf-1.so.114
librsvg-2.so.2
libxml2.so.2

Given that emacs-snapshot-gtk showed antialiased fonts back when it was
tracking Emacs 22 CVS, I really wish they'd enable it once and for all (and
especially since the functionality is already linked in!).
--
Kirk Strauser