Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Gnumeric (1.10.8) – how to save as a template?

I can't find that option in the file menu at all. I can create a new
spreadsheet from a template, but I can not create a template, what's
the point in that?

Why use Gnumeric at all? you might ask. Well, most of the time I use
LibreOffice, but sometimes I need a lighter option that starts quickly
and doesn't mess with my graphics card. Other than that, I found
Gnumeric quite useless so far. As soon as I need to do anything just a
single µm outside the main stream area, Gnumeric is not an option, at
least not the 1.10.8 version, which is the one in the Ubuntu 10.10
repositories.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Colin Law

On 3 March 2012 11:35, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't find that option in the file menu at all. I can create a new
> spreadsheet from a template, but I can not create a template, what's
> the point in that?
>
> Why use Gnumeric at all? you might ask. Well, most of the time I use
> LibreOffice, but sometimes I need a lighter option that starts quickly
> and doesn't mess with my graphics card. Other than that, I found
> Gnumeric quite useless so far. As soon as I need to do anything just a
> single µm outside the main stream area, Gnumeric is not an option, at
> least not the 1.10.8 version, which is the one in the Ubuntu 10.10
> repositories.

Google threw up this, but I have not tried it

Colin

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/3/3 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
> On 3 March 2012 11:35, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't find that option in the file menu at all. I can create a new
>> spreadsheet from a template, but I can not create a template, what's
>> the point in that?
>>
>> Why use Gnumeric at all? you might ask. Well, most of the time I use
>> LibreOffice, but sometimes I need a lighter option that starts quickly
>> and doesn't mess with my graphics card. Other than that, I found
>> Gnumeric quite useless so far. As soon as I need to do anything just a
>> single µm outside the main stream area, Gnumeric is not an option, at
>> least not the 1.10.8 version, which is the one in the Ubuntu 10.10
>> repositories.
>
> Google threw up this, but I have not tried it
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6833899
>
> Colin

Yes, adding a document to the templates folder should do it, of
course. The problem is that I need root privileges to do that, which
is doable but not very user friendly.
So obviously the answer is something like ”No, there is no dedicated
functionality for that, but it still can be done”.

Thanks.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Colin Law

On 3 March 2012 19:16, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/3 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
>> On 3 March 2012 11:35, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I can't find that option in the file menu at all. I can create a new
>>> spreadsheet from a template, but I can not create a template, what's
>>> the point in that?
>>>
>>> Why use Gnumeric at all? you might ask. Well, most of the time I use
>>> LibreOffice, but sometimes I need a lighter option that starts quickly
>>> and doesn't mess with my graphics card. Other than that, I found
>>> Gnumeric quite useless so far. As soon as I need to do anything just a
>>> single µm outside the main stream area, Gnumeric is not an option, at
>>> least not the 1.10.8 version, which is the one in the Ubuntu 10.10
>>> repositories.
>>
>> Google threw up this, but I have not tried it
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6833899
>>
>> Colin
>
> Yes, adding a document to the templates folder should do it, of
> course. The problem is that I need root privileges to do that, which
> is doable but not very user friendly.

I suppose you could give the relevant users (or just yourself in this
case?) write access to the templates folder. I don't suppose there
would be a security risk there.

> So obviously the answer is something like ”No, there is no dedicated
> functionality for that, but it still can be done”.

Looks like it.

Colin

Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/3/4 sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:16:26 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
> [skip]
>

>> Yes, adding a document to the templates folder should do it, of course.
>> The problem is that I need root privileges to do that, which is doable
>> but not very user friendly. So obviously the answer is something like
>> ”No, there is no dedicated functionality for that, but it still can be
>> done”.
>>

> I haven't seen it documented anywhere, but you can create the directory
> ~/.gnumeric/templates and place your templates there to pick from the
> menu list.
>
> --
> sktsee

Thanks! That's better, since no root privileges are needed in that folder.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/3/4 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/3/4 sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:16:26 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> [skip]
>>

>>> Yes, adding a document to the templates folder should do it, of course.
>>> The problem is that I need root privileges to do that, which is doable
>>> but not very user friendly. So obviously the answer is something like
>>> ”No, there is no dedicated functionality for that, but it still can be
>>> done”.
>>>

>> I haven't seen it documented anywhere, but you can create the directory
>> ~/.gnumeric/templates and place your templates there to pick from the
>> menu list.
>>
>> --
>> sktsee
>
> Thanks! That's better, since no root privileges are needed in that folder.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Unfortunately it didn't work, or do I have to restart something (else
than Gnumeric) first?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/3/4 sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 21:11:38 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Unfortunately it didn't work, or do I have to restart something (else
>> than Gnumeric) first?
>>

> Sorry, it just dawned on me that the version you are using is older than
> the one that comes in oneric (1.10.17) so I don't know if the tip I gave
> will work. You might try ~/.gnumeric/1.10.8/templates and see if that
> gets it. Of course, you also need to make sure that your templates have
> a .gnumeric extension.

No luck, sorry.
I guess I just have to copy them to /usr/share/gnumeric/1.10.8/templates.

Thanks anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ