Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Default LiveCD: How to set rootpassword? Security considerations?

When using an Ubuntu LiveCD, everything runs as root or some kind of
ultimate sudo power, right? I have a few questions:

1. How may I change or set a password on the LiveCD during use?
2. If I use a USB stick is it possible to backup the password setting and
other settings? How do I do this? (I'm making my own Ubuntu LiveCD with
remastersys and disabling the use of the hard disk drive for any caching
in favor of using a USB thumb drive for this)
3. Are there any special security considerations for a LiveCD user on
broadband? You're running as a superuser to some degree, right? Isn't
every application running with higher powers now? Is my hard disk drive
data at risk during the time I am using an Ubuntu LiveCD?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 06:52 -0400, sleepyvulva@lavabit.com wrote:
> When using an Ubuntu LiveCD, everything runs as root or some kind of
> ultimate sudo power, right? I have a few questions:
>
> 1. How may I change or set a password on the LiveCD during use?

What for?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDPersistence

> 3. Are there any special security considerations for a LiveCD user on
> broadband? You're running as a superuser to some degree, right? Isn't
> every application running with higher powers now? Is my hard disk drive
> data at risk during the time I am using an Ubuntu LiveCD?

Do you start any services that open ports while running the live CD? I
suppose not, and so the whole issue is irrelevant: there are no
exploitable services, so nobody can connect to you.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
"Niels Andersen"

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 06:52 -0400, sleepyvulva@lavabit.com wrote:

> When using an Ubuntu LiveCD, everything runs as root or some kind of

> ultimate sudo power, right? I have a few questions:
The live CD does not run as root, it runs as a default user named "ubuntu".

> 1. How may I change or set a password on the LiveCD during use?

What for?
If you log out you can't get back in, since you don't know the password.* It isn't "ubuntu"!

The answer is to open a Terminal session and issue the command:

$ sudo passwd ubuntu

You will be prompted twice for a new password, but you will not be prompted for the old password.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the menu item on the Gnome panel where you will find the

Terminal menu item, since I am on a "winders" machine right now, but it is the first menu item on the left.

--
Niels Andersen

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:43 -0400, Niels Andersen wrote:
> If you log out you can't get back in, since you don't know the
> password. It isn't "ubuntu"!

Aha, interesting, I didn't know that.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Peter Garrett

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:52:30 +0200
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:43 -0400, Niels Andersen wrote:
> > If you log out you can't get back in, since you don't know the
> > password. It isn't "ubuntu"!
>
> Aha, interesting, I didn't know that.

sudo init 1 in, say, tty1. ( no password for sudo on the live CD, and you
will get a root prompt when the system goes to runlevel 1 )

init 2 ( you are now back at runlevel 2 , and gdm
should log you in automatically, on the live CD)

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Jianjun Kong

>1. How may I change or set a password on the LiveCD during use?

$sudo passwd root
and input "enter"as the password of default user "ubuntu",then you can change the password of root.