Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default Ubuntu 11.10 hosting Win8 Consumer Preview

Has anyone gotten Windows 8 Consumer Preview running in VirtualBox
4.1.8 on Ubuntu 11.10?
One odd thing I noticed when setting up the VM. In the settings, under
System, the Acceleration option tab is greyed out. So far my searches
have not turned up an answer as to why.

The CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo, and I checked the BIOS already...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
"compdoc"

> One odd thing I noticed when setting up the VM. In the settings, under
System,
>the Acceleration option tab is greyed out. So far my searches have not
turned up
> an answer as to why.
>The CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo, and I checked the BIOS already...

Are you saying your system is vt-d capable?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

One odd thing I noticed when setting up the VM. In the settings, under

System,

the Acceleration option tab is greyed out. So far my searches have not

turned up

an answer as to why.
The CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo, and I checked the BIOS already...

Are you saying your system is vt-d capable?

According to the BIOS, yeah. I'd have to reboot to tell you what
exactly it says.

If it helps, it's a Dell Optiplex 760.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
"compdoc"

> According to the BIOS, yeah. I'd have to reboot to tell you what exactly
it says.
>If it helps, it's a Dell Optiplex 760.

A quick google suggests theres a problem with earlier versions of that
Dell's bios. You might check to see if there is an update...

Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

According to the BIOS, yeah. I'd have to reboot to tell you what exactly

it says.

If it helps, it's a Dell Optiplex 760.

A quick google suggests theres a problem with earlier versions of that
Dell's bios. You might check to see if there is an update...

Yeah, I noticed that... Thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

According to the BIOS, yeah. I'd have to reboot to tell you what exactly

it says.

If it helps, it's a Dell Optiplex 760.

A quick google suggests theres a problem with earlier versions of that
Dell's bios. You might check to see if there is an update...

Yeah, I noticed that... Thanks.

Updated the BIOS from A02 to A13. No change.
So either this machine isn't capable of it; or there is something else
I'm missing/misunderstanding...

Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
"compdoc"

How about guest drivers? Installed those?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Dave Woyciesjes