Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Liam Proven

Default Automatically mounting all volumes at boot

This used to be the default behaviour, IIRC.

I keep a lot of non-critical stuff on a FAT32 volume shared with
Windows. I have put it into /etc/fstab manually; this worked at first,
but for some reason, it keeps mounting RO & I have to do a `sudo
umount /dev/sdb6` command to unmount it, then use Nautilus to remount
it for all users as RW.

What I'd rather like is the way Ubuntu /used/ to handle this in years
gone by: to just automatically mount all visible drives at boot time.

I've Googled but I can't find an easy way of achieving this. Is there one?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Colin Law

On 1 March 2012 02:06, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> This used to be the default behaviour, IIRC.
>
> I keep a lot of non-critical stuff on a FAT32 volume shared with
> Windows. I have put it into /etc/fstab manually; this worked at first,
> but for some reason, it keeps mounting RO & I have to do a `sudo
> umount /dev/sdb6` command to unmount it, then use Nautilus to remount
> it for all users as RW.

Have you tried booting into windows and doing a chkdsk on it?

Colin

> What I'd rather like is the way Ubuntu /used/ to handle this in years
> gone by: to just automatically mount all visible drives at boot time.
>
> I've Googled but I can't find an easy way of achieving this. Is there one?
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:06:24AM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> This used to be the default behaviour, IIRC.
>
> I keep a lot of non-critical stuff on a FAT32 volume shared with
> Windows. I have put it into /etc/fstab manually; this worked at first,
> but for some reason, it keeps mounting RO & I have to do a `sudo
> umount /dev/sdb6` command to unmount it, then use Nautilus to remount
> it for all users as RW.

Is it mounted -o ro, or is it just that the default ownership and
permissions do not let any of the users write to it?

Try comparing the output of

mount | grep /dev/sdb6

before and after you do the remount with Nautilus thing. Perhaps all
you need to do is add some options to your /etc/fstab (umask=0?).

Marius Gedminas
--
"Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that
time I lost my horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it

Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Liam Proven

On 1 March 2012 13:18, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:06:24AM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>> This used to be the default behaviour, IIRC.
>>
>> I keep a lot of non-critical stuff on a FAT32 volume shared with
>> Windows. I have put it into /etc/fstab manually; this worked at first,
>> but for some reason, it keeps mounting RO & I have to do a `sudo
>> umount /dev/sdb6` command to unmount it, then use Nautilus to remount
>> it for all users as RW.
>
> Is it mounted -o ro, or is it just that the default ownership and
> permissions do not let any of the users write to it?

Root can write to it, nobody else.

> Try comparing the output of
>
> *mount | grep /dev/sdb6
>
> before and after you do the remount with Nautilus thing. *Perhaps all
> you need to do is add some options to your /etc/fstab (umask=0?).

I believe I did that! :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 01:59:36PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 March 2012 13:18, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:06:24AM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> >> This used to be the default behaviour, IIRC.
> >>
> >> I keep a lot of non-critical stuff on a FAT32 volume shared with
> >> Windows. I have put it into /etc/fstab manually; this worked at first,
> >> but for some reason, it keeps mounting RO & I have to do a `sudo
> >> umount /dev/sdb6` command to unmount it, then use Nautilus to remount
> >> it for all users as RW.
> >
> > Is it mounted -o ro, or is it just that the default ownership and
> > permissions do not let any of the users write to it?
>
> Root can write to it, nobody else.

Sounds like a permissions issue then.

> > Try comparing the output of
> >
> > *mount | grep /dev/sdb6
> >
> > before and after you do the remount with Nautilus thing. *Perhaps all
> > you need to do is add some options to your /etc/fstab (umask=0?).
>
> I believe I did that! :)

If you want us to help you you'll have to provide more information.
E.g. the contents of /etc/fstab and the output of mount in both case
(when only root can write, and when all users can write).

Marius Gedminas
--
Well, there's a quantum computer that can factor 15, so those of you using
4-bit RSA should worry.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Liam Proven

On 2 March 2012 14:59, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 01:59:36PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

>> > Is it mounted -o ro, or is it just that the default ownership and
>> > permissions do not let any of the users write to it?
>>
>> Root can write to it, nobody else.
>
> Sounds like a permissions issue then.
>
>> > Try comparing the output of
>> >
>> > *mount | grep /dev/sdb6
>> >
>> > before and after you do the remount with Nautilus thing. *Perhaps all
>> > you need to do is add some options to your /etc/fstab (umask=0?).
>>
>> I believe I did that! :¬)
>
> If you want us to help you you'll have to provide more information.
> E.g. the contents of /etc/fstab and the output of mount in both case
> (when only root can write, and when all users can write).

I'm happy enough to do that, but I'd rather have an answer to my
original, more general question:

Is it possible to have Ubuntu mount all visible filesystems
automatically on boot?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Rashkae