Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Luca Ferrari

Default video editing

Hi,
I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes, while
totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
editing?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Karl Larsen

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes, while
> totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
> Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> editing?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Watch and listen with VLC. Edit with Gimp or, if simple gThumb.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes, while
> totem runs fine.

Are you using the fglrx driver for ATI cards and the Xine backend for
kaffeine? If so, try setting
video.driver:xshm
in
~/.xine/config
and see if that prevents kaffeine from crashing.

Regards
mks

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 06:33 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Edit with Gimp or, if simple gThumb.

_Video_, not images

Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
NoOp

On 04/04/2008 02:48 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> editing?

Kino? http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/2 (it's in the repos).

Also have a look at cinerella:
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php
http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
Not in the repos, see:
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu

Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
norman

> _Video_, not images

Have a look at Avidemux, I have used it quite a bit.

Norman

Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 AM
debiani386

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes, while
> totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
> Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> editing?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

here are a few programs that i have used:

1) Kino
2) Lives

out of the two, i like lives, however lives is a resource hog (or
atleast on my system it is and my system is pretty gutless). Just adding
the charcoal affect causes the entire system to lock (and its not
lives's fault, its that my system has limited resources)

But you could try adobe premier on wine if it is premiere that you are
used to

--cj

Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Yannick Le Saint

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes,
> while totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?

Hi, you should be using two different engines, xine with kaffeine
(kaffeine-xine) and gstreamer with totem (totem-gstreamer).

I think you should be able to :

- Install kaffeine-gstreamer.
- Use the "settings" menu in kaffeine to use the gstreamer engine.

I haven't tested it though as the xine engine is working just fine for
me.

--
Regards.

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) <y.lesaint@gmail.com>
http://y.lesaint.free.fr/

Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 04/04/2008, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes, while
> totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
> Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> editing?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Run kaffeine from the cli, play a video, and post the output so that
we can see what the problem is.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Luca Ferrari

On Saturday 5 April 2008 Dotan Cohen's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> On 04/04/2008, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes,
> > while totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
> > Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> > editing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Luca
>
> Run kaffeine from the cli, play a video, and post the output so that
> we can see what the problem is.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Uhm...I don't think this is very useful:

[luca@fluca:~/tmp]$ kaffeine
0
[luca@fluca:~/tmp]$ kaffeine: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype
inode/directory
KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...

and by the way, I've already installed the kaffeine-gstreamer engine.
Any other idea?

Thanks,
Luca