Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM
"Bo Lynch"

Default Video Editing

On Wed, March 11, 2009 8:30 am, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com>
> wrote:
>> This is kind of a new area for me so I thought I would get the lists
>> opinion.
>> I have a avi video that I need to edit. The main thing that I need to
>> accomplish is to maybe cut the top 1/3 of the frame and blur out a few
>> faces. What would you guys recommend for an app that would accomplish
>> this? Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> For the "cut" part of the task, I will suggest avidemux (from ATrpms).
> The "blur" part will require more powerful editing software such as
> cinelerra (from RPMforge).
>
> Akemi

Akemi,

I have loaded cinelerra from rpmforge but I'm having a really hard time
getting the avi to even show up in it. I open cinelerra and go to
file>load files and select the avi video but nothing shows up. I know this
is a valid file because I can play it. Is cinelerra capable of editing
already created AVI?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com> wrote:
> On Wed, March 11, 2009 8:30 am, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com>
>> wrote:
>>> This is kind of a new area for me so I thought I would get the lists
>>> opinion.
>>> I have a avi video that I need to edit. The main thing that I need to
>>> accomplish is to maybe cut the top 1/3 of the frame and blur out a few
>>> faces. What would you guys recommend for an app that would accomplish
>>> this? Thanks in advance for any info.
>>
>> For the "cut" part of the task, I will suggest avidemux (from ATrpms).
>> *The "blur" part will require more powerful editing software such as
>> cinelerra (from RPMforge).

> Akemi,
>
> I have loaded cinelerra from rpmforge but I'm having a really hard time
> getting the avi to even show up in it. I open cinelerra and go to
> file>load files and select the avi video but nothing shows up. I know this
> is a valid file because I can play it. Is cinelerra capable of editing
> already created AVI?

According to the documentation,

"Because AVI (Audio-Video Interleave) is so fragmented with varied
audio and video codecs, you may not be able to play all AVI formatted
files."

It's not looking good.

My friend who is an expert in video editing mentioned the other day "LIVES":

http://lives.sourceforge.net/

I have not looked at it yet, but that is another possibility.

Akemi

Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I have loaded cinelerra from rpmforge but I'm having a really hard time
>getting the avi to even show up in it.

I don't know cinelerra, and if you can believe, I don't have a single CentOS
box w/ a desktop <heh> but I would presume you have to demux the audio and video
into separate files as that is how most non linear nle's work...

Last time I heard of cinelerra, I looked at the docs and they looked very good.

jlc

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Joseph L. Casale

> Last time I heard of cinelerra, I looked at the docs and they looked very good.

I've tried it. Alas, it would crash so often that it was unusable.
I've used Kino a little. It didn't crash but I haven't done much with
it besides re-arrange some clips.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 18:07:26 Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Joseph L. Casale
>
> > Last time I heard of cinelerra, I looked at the docs and they looked very
> > good.
>
> I've tried it. Alas, it would crash so often that it was unusable.
> I've used Kino a little. It didn't crash but I haven't done much with
> it besides re-arrange some clips.

You might like to take a look at the todisc/tovid suite of programs. You get
the most power out of them if you use the CLI, but a gui does help with
various aspects if you want it. I haven't used it on a situation like yours,
but I tickled the edge of it, and was very pleased with the results. They
have a very helpful, low-volume mailing list too. Whether it will read yoiur
.avi remains to be seen, but if it will you can probably re-save it to any
reasonable format, then your mainstream tools are also available to you.

HTH

Anne
Just found a cool new feature? Add it to UserBase

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Lanny Marcus

On 3/11/09, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Joseph L. Casale
>> Last time I heard of cinelerra, I looked at the docs and they looked very
>> good.
>
> I've tried it. Alas, it would crash so often that it was unusable.
> I've used Kino a little. It didn't crash but I haven't done much with
> it besides re-arrange some clips.

cinelerra does crash, frequently, but if you read their documentation,
they save after everything you do and when you restart it, you can
immediately get back to where you were before the crash. Crashing is
not a "feature", but they are well aware of it. :-)

It has (as Akemi pointed out to me) a steep learning curve, but it is
extremely powerful.

My wife is trying to figure out how to get the audio and video synced
properly, when she edits...

kino is much easier to learn, but probably much less powerful too.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Alessandro Boggiano

Hello all,
I received as a give a video camera Toshiba SX500. It uses as file
format mp4 and I'd like to start with video editing.
Which is the better software ? I know nothing about it!!!

Thanks!
Alessandro

Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Michael Miles

On 08/05/2010 01:39 PM, Alessandro Boggiano wrote:
> Hello all,
> I received as a give a video camera Toshiba SX500. It uses as file
> format mp4 and I'd like to start with video editing.
> Which is the better software ? I know nothing about it!!!
>
> Thanks!
> Alessandro

For editing video Kdenlive is a great choice.
For doing mp4 video conversion and MKV conversion then Handbrake is the one

For encoding dvd and files to xvid OGMRip is a good place to start

Good luck
Michael