Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Default Video editing

JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> writes:

> Avidemux.

Thanks, this works, but the audio is eliminated! Anyone can help about why
this happens and to work it out? Even when trying to play the original file,
avidemux claims that there is `trouble initialising audio device', whereas
Mplayer plays it without problems. What can I do?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:

> With Kino you can import the video and edit it. I have recently
> worked on a few mpg's and used kino. I found it a bit easier to work
> with than avidemux. The drawback is that kino converts the mpg to a
> .dv which is about 9 times bigger than the mpg.

With Kino I didn't manage to import *any* file. Can anyone explain why? It
simply says that it `couldn't import' that file.

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Rodolfo Medina

"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> writes:

> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
> good precision in your cuts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
MB big.

Rodolfo

Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Kino might.

But it only handles dv files. So, there's no hope for other formats like mpeg*
etc?

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Pedro Insua

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:33:54PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On 12/08/08 07:36, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
> >> beginning of the file
>

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > Kino might.
>

> But it only handles dv files. So, there's no hope for other formats like mpeg*
> etc?

You can use 'mplayer' to convert the file, and then, import it with
'kino'.

--
Porqu�oitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"
/ CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
X ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/

Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Ron Johnson

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
and select pieces of a video file.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> writes:

"Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
good precision in your cuts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
MB big.

Try gopchop.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Arc Roca

Use ffmpeg, it allows you to select the start-time and end-time of cut you need. First do ffmpeg -i file.avi , it will tell you the info about vthe original file. Go from there.
man ffmpeg

Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>>> and select pieces of a video file.
>>>
>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> writes:

>> Avidemux.

Rodolfo:

Olivier Deckers <olivierdeckers@telenet.be> writes:

> It is normal that there is no sound during the editing. After exporting the
> video, there should be sound.

In Avidemux, after editing the file, I save it. Then I play it with Mplayer
and there's no sound.

Rodolfo

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Ron Johnson

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut
off and select pieces of a video file.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

Try gopchop.

Thanks! It seems to work perfectly. But now I need also to append two video
files one another. What I'm trying to do is to select pieces from a dvd.

I *think* that plain old cat will successfully join them.

$ cat f1.mpeg f2.mpeg > big.mpeg

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Try gopchop.

Thanks! It seems to work perfectly. But now I need also to append two video
files one another. What I'm trying to do is to select pieces from a dvd.

Thanks for further help
Rodolfo