Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Bill Wood

Default video editing

hello nick

----- Original Message -----
From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>
Sent: Tue, 4/8/2008 11:05am
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: video editing

On Saturday 5 April 2008 Dotan Cohen's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> On 04/04/2008, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've got a few problems playing mpeg videos: kaffeine always crashes,
> > while totem runs fine. Which packages am I missing?
> > Moreover, some suggestion about a good (possibly kde) program for video
> > editing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Luca
>
> Run kaffeine from the cli, play a video, and post the output so that
> we can see what the problem is.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Uhm...I don't think this is very useful:

[luca@fluca:~/tmp]$ kaffeine
0
[luca@fluca:~/tmp]$ kaffeine: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype
inode/directory
KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...

and by the way, I've already installed the kaffeine-gstreamer engine.
Any other idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
JoeHill

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
> and select pieces of a video file.
>
> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Avidemux.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Hi to all Debian users.

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off and
select pieces of a video file.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Ron Johnson

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
and select pieces of a video file.

You don't mention what format the video is in.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Avidemux.

Also, gopchop, if it's MPEG.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Johann Spies

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 08:36:54PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>>
>> Avidemux.
>
> Also, gopchop, if it's MPEG.

With Kino you can import the video and edit it. I have recently
worked on a few mpg's and used kino. I found it a bit easier to work
with than avidemux. The drawback is that kino converts the mpg to a
.dv which is about 9 times bigger than the mpg.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore
sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am
holy:" Leviticus 11:44

Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
> Hi to all Debian users.
>
> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off and
> select pieces of a video file.
>
> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Hi,

The aforementioned tools will do the job, but for the sake of choice :

"Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
good precision in your cuts.

"Cinelerra" is complete overkill for just a few video, but if you're a
video enthusiast you can give it a try, again debian-multimedia.

"EKD" is very simple and straightforward, a bit young but already
usable, it's at http://download.tuxfamily.org/ekdforum/ekd/

"openmovieeditor" in Debian-multimedia, I don't use it, but it has built
a good reputation and is rapidly growing.

"Kdenlive", in debian-multimedia, it's meant for kde but can be used
outside too, works a lot like kino without the dv only limitation.

Tom

Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina a écrit :

>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>> and select pieces of a video file.
>>
>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Thanks to all who replied.

The file format is .vob. A couple more questions:

How can I install avidemux via apt-get? What's the package name?

Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats. Will avidemux or the
other tools mentioned do that?

Thanks again!
Rodolfo

Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Ron Johnson

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
and select pieces of a video file.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Thanks to all who replied.

The file format is .vob.

IOW, it's MPEG-2.

A couple more questions:

How can I install avidemux via apt-get? What's the package name?

You'll need to add this to your sources.list, where BRANCH in (etch
lenny sid experimental):

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org ${BRANCH} main

Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats. Will avidemux or the
other tools mentioned do that?

Kino might.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:39 PM
"H.S."

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
> beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats. Will avidemux or the
> other tools mentioned do that?

I have used Kino to do this in my movies grabbed with a minidv
camcorder. Text fade in, fade out, overlay, scrolling text at the
bottome, rolling credits, etc.

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Olivier Deckers

It is normal that there is no sound during the editing. After exporting
the video, there should be sound.

"thveillon.debian" <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> writes:

"Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
good precision in your cuts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
MB big.

Rodolfo