Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Colin Law

Default Back light staying on when screen blanks

I have an issue since recent updates (on Precise) where my laptop
backlight stays on when the screen is blanked following a period of
inactivity. The screen goes blank but the backlight is still on,
which rather defeats the object of the exercise. This is with Intel
graphics. I can't find a bug report other than [1] which maintains
that the issue is to do with nvidia. I don't know what package to
report the bug against, suggestions would gratefully received.

Colin

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/931040

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:27:57AM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> I have an issue since recent updates (on Precise) where my laptop
> backlight stays on when the screen is blanked following a period of
> inactivity. The screen goes blank but the backlight is still on,
> which rather defeats the object of the exercise. This is with Intel
> graphics. I can't find a bug report other than [1] which maintains
> that the issue is to do with nvidia. I don't know what package to
> report the bug against, suggestions would gratefully received.
>
> Colin
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/931040

Can I add a 'me too' to this bug please. I've been wondering why my
screen doesn't turn off properly - i.e. it goes blank but with the
backlight on still - and Colin's message suggests that what I'm seeing
is a bug.

I'm seeing the same on both a desktop machine (with Intel graphics) and
on a laptop (Acer Aspire), both running xubuntu 11.10.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:27:57AM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> I have an issue since recent updates (on Precise) where my laptop
>> backlight stays on when the screen is blanked following a period of
>> inactivity. *The screen goes blank but the backlight is still on,
>> which rather defeats the object of the exercise. *This is with Intel
>> graphics. *I can't find a bug report other than [1] which maintains
>> that the issue is to do with nvidia. *I don't know what package to
>> report the bug against, suggestions would gratefully received.

I am on Intel graphics with dual monitors and primary screen would
turn off while secondary screen would not.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Colin Law

On 28 February 2012 10:27, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have an issue since recent updates (on Precise) where my laptop
> backlight stays on when the screen is blanked following a period of
> inactivity. *The screen goes blank but the backlight is still on,
> which rather defeats the object of the exercise. *This is with Intel
> graphics. *I can't find a bug report other than [1] which maintains
> that the issue is to do with nvidia. *I don't know what package to
> report the bug against, suggestions would gratefully received.

Much to my surprise I find that following some updates and a reboot
the backlight now seems to be behaving itself. Whether the fix was as
a result of the upgrades or whether something had just got confused
and the reboot fixed it I do not know.

Colin