Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Ric Moore

Default I think I blew up my own alsa configuration somehow

After bricking my big machine with a new power supply, I sent my MB to
ASUS to check it out, just for ducks. Got it back and with a power
supply that doesn't have a smoke jinn in it, it's all back up and
running, except for my multichannel analog sound. I'm getting bleeps and
buzzing especially when I rotate the mouse wheel. This maddening,
especially after curing my ills with almixer/pavucontrol advice.

My USB head phones work fine.

So, I removed pulseaudio and still no joy. I'm running 11.10, 64bit
although when I did a system clean up there was a bunch of 32bit files
removed. I have no clue how they got there. I sure don't want to have to
do another re-install. Not if I don't have to.

<swears like drunken sailor> I'm peeved. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Rashkae

After bricking my big machine with a new power supply, I sent my MB to
ASUS to check it out, just for ducks. Got it back and with a power
supply that doesn't have a smoke jinn in it, it's all back up and
running, except for my multichannel analog sound. I'm getting bleeps
and buzzing especially when I rotate the mouse wheel. This maddening,
especially after curing my ills with almixer/pavucontrol advice.

My USB head phones work fine.

So, I removed pulseaudio and still no joy. I'm running 11.10, 64bit
although when I did a system clean up there was a bunch of 32bit files
removed. I have no clue how they got there. I sure don't want to have
to do another re-install. Not if I don't have to.

<swears like drunken sailor> I'm peeved. Ric

You're getting noise on your audio from electronic interference. I'm
not sure what you can do there besides install a good quality discrete
audio card. Still, this is a hardware problem, not a software one.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Rashkae

You're getting noise on your audio from electronic interference. I'm
not sure what you can do there besides install a good quality discrete
audio card. Still, this is a hardware problem, not a software one.

PS: It might be worthwhile, however, in case I'm wrong, to use alsamixer
and mute your inputs (Line-in and or Microphone.). It's possible your
sound system could be picking up the noise on those then amplifying it.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

That's my thinking too, and they are cheap enough nowadays. Thanks. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Ric Moore

You're getting noise on your audio from electronic interference. I'm
not sure what you can do there besides install a good quality discrete
audio card. Still, this is a hardware problem, not a software one.

PS: It might be worthwhile, however, in case I'm wrong, to use alsamixer
and mute your inputs (Line-in and or Microphone.). It's possible your
sound system could be picking up the noise on those then amplifying it.

The problem is that I'm getting nothing at all on playback. My surround
system is silent during boot, then just as it starts to boot, the
speakers start to make obscene noises. Replacing that system with a pci
sound card should do the trick. I unplugged the USB mike with mike and
that didn't reduce the sound. Thanks! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Rashkae

The problem is that I'm getting nothing at all on playback. My
surround system is silent during boot, then just as it starts to boot,
the speakers start to make obscene noises. Replacing that system with
a pci sound card should do the trick. I unplugged the USB mike with
mike and that didn't reduce the sound. Thanks! Ric

Oh, I misunderstood the problem report. I thought you were getting
buzzing noise overtop of the sound that should be coming out. True that
a PCI card might fix you right up, but my 'diagnosis' goes right out the
window.

At the very least, it would be worthwhile to boot a live cd and see if
sound on a pristine environment works or not.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Ric Moore

The problem is that I'm getting nothing at all on playback. My
surround system is silent during boot, then just as it starts to boot,
the speakers start to make obscene noises. Replacing that system with
a pci sound card should do the trick. I unplugged the USB mike with
mike and that didn't reduce the sound. Thanks! Ric

Oh, I misunderstood the problem report. I thought you were getting
buzzing noise overtop of the sound that should be coming out. True that
a PCI card might fix you right up, but my 'diagnosis' goes right out the
window.

At the very least, it would be worthwhile to boot a live cd and see if
sound on a pristine environment works or not.

When I move the scrollwheel on the USB mouse it buzzes louder! It starts
buzzing as soon as Linux starts to boot. Nothing seems to relieve it.
I've changed the card settings in pavucontrol, but in alsamixer there is
no "channels" setting, like is usually on the right side <channels 6>
<channels 8> ...that part is gone. Beats the heck out of me. I had zero
problems until the new power supply blew up on install. Got a different
power supply, everything works except sound. The PS failure DID take out
the hard drive, but I replaced it's pc board for $35 and it works like a
charm. So, there was some spare electricity flying around inside. I hate
seeing good smoke come from places it is supposed to remain in,
especially so in a power supply!

Thanks I'll give the boot live CD a whirl and get back. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Ric Moore