Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Wireless routers and dynamic DNS

I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
to work with this.

I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
choices that I might otherwise use.

I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
that work with other vendors?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
rikona

Hello Kevin,

Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:57:18 PM, Kevin wrote:

> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
> to work with this.

> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
> choices that I might otherwise use.

> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
> that work with other vendors?

Another thought - I switched from ATT DSL [slow, expensive, very
reliable] to Comcast cable [fast, expensive, not reliable, terrible
customer service]. Comcast cable has fixed IPs available [more $], but
asking around, they are supposedly more reliable. If you want fixed
IPs, that may be an option.

--

rikona

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:57:18 PM, Kevin wrote:
>
>> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
>> to work with this.
>
>> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
>> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
>> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
>> choices that I might otherwise use.
>
>> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
>> that work with other vendors?
>
> Another thought - I switched from ATT DSL [slow, expensive, very
> reliable] to Comcast cable [fast, expensive, not reliable, terrible
> customer service]. Comcast cable has fixed IPs available [more $], but
> asking around, they are supposedly more reliable. If you want fixed
> IPs, that may be an option.

Interesting, but I don't think Comcast is available here. It's pretty
much Charter or nothing for cable. Besides, this is home use and
outages, while super annoying, don't cost me money.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 AM
NoOp

On 02/27/2012 12:57 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
> to work with this.
>
> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
> choices that I might otherwise use.
>
> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
> that work with other vendors?

I'm 'baffled' as to what you are referring to. Do you think that you
require a specific router to update dyndns.org? If so I suggest you read
up on ddclient:

http://dyn.com/support/clients/
http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/
http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ddclient
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ddclient.8.html

I also recommend using the ddclient package/software rather than
attempting to rely on router firmware. Quite often I've seen router
firmware to off and spam the dns update server... result is that they
cut off your service until you 'explain' what happened.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Icarus Alive

I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server

to work with this.

I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for

this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.

This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of

choices that I might otherwise use.

I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,

that work with other vendors?

AFAIK, most of the dynamic-DNS hosts have turned "for pay" or gone. There are 1 or 2 free dynamic DNS servers which products (s.a. wireless routers) from China come preset with. IIRC, it is 2323.com (or something like that... all numeric name).

Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
"John LeJeune"

> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
> to work with this.
>
> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
> choices that I might otherwise use.
>
> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
> that work with other vendors?
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

I use ZoneEdit (www.zoneedit.com) to manage my DNS for my domains. If you
sign up, you can get 2 free domains. They have an https service, that I
call from a cron job every 10 minutes to keep my DNS records up to date.
Not as elegant as dyndns, but it gets the job done.

John LeJeune
ubuntu-server@jlejeune.com

Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 12:57 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm just converting from static IPs to HTML and getting my web server
>> to work with this.
>>
>> I have a Netgear N-300 wireless router that offers good support for
>> this so long as I'm using dyndns.org to manage changes to IP numbers.
>> This costs a small amount of money, and is only one of a number of
>> choices that I might otherwise use.
>>
>> I'm curious if there are other routers out there, wireless or not,
>> that work with other vendors?
>>

> I'm 'baffled' as to what you are referring to. Do you think that you
> require a specific router to update dyndns.org? If so I suggest you read
> up on ddclient:
>
> http://dyn.com/support/clients/
> *http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/
> *http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
> * http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
> *https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ddclient
> *http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ddclient.8.html
>
> I also recommend using the ddclient package/software rather than
> attempting to rely on router firmware. Quite often I've seen router
> firmware to off and spam the dns update server... result is that they
> cut off your service until you 'explain' what happened.

Thanks for the links. I did indeed think updates had to be done by
the router. It didn't occur to me that a machine behind a NAT router
could easily discover the current IP leased to the router. I knew
(and still do) that I was baffled, so much so I'm not certain what I'm
baffled about. This continues to be the case, but it's getting a bit
better.

I'm in the midst of transferring domain registration to dyndns, since
my existing registration will expire in 2 months anyway. This is
included in the price of the "standard" package, and about matches
what I've been paying for domain registration alone. I'm working on
transferring the domain registration now.

It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
NoOp

On 02/28/2012 09:04 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM, NoOp <...
>> I'm 'baffled' as to what you are referring to. Do you think that you
>> require a specific router to update dyndns.org? If so I suggest you read
>> up on ddclient:
>>
>> http://dyn.com/support/clients/
>> http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/
>> http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ddclient
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ddclient.8.html
>>
>> I also recommend using the ddclient package/software rather than
>> attempting to rely on router firmware. Quite often I've seen router
>> firmware to off and spam the dns update server... result is that they
>> cut off your service until you 'explain' what happened.

By spam the dns update server I mean whereby the router firmware is
flakey & it sends many updates each second/every few seconds. I've had
at least three routers that would do this.

I also had something similar happen while I was away... But in that case
my home office was getting hit with multiple thunderstorms & the power
was flickering on/off at weird rates. Result was the router was powered
down, then up, then down, etc., and each time that it did it, the router
would aquire a new IP address from the ISP & happily report it to DYN.
Of course DYN (they were dyndns.org/com then) logged my updates from
each power cycle & that triggered an alarm on their side & they shut off
my dns domain. They nicely turned it back on after I emailed them &
explained the problem, but that does show how having the update in the
router hardware can be a problem

> Thanks for the links. I did indeed think updates had to be done by
> the router.

No. Were that the case then I'd not be able to keep track of my laptop
when traveling. I do the same for clients/relatives; that way I don't
have to have them do the http://whatsmyip.org thing to find their IP
address(s).

If you have one of the "grandfather'ed" free dns accounts (as I do), the
only problem is that you need to have your device log in at least once a
month so that they know you are still alive. If not, you get an email
that they will cancel the domain in X days (8 IIRC). Note: you can still
get 1 free dns by trying a trial version. If you cancel you still get to
keep one. Difference is that the new "free" one doesn't have as many dns
choices as the old "free" did.

> It didn't occur to me that a machine behind a NAT router
> could easily discover the current IP leased to the router. I knew
> (and still do) that I was baffled, so much so I'm not certain what I'm
> baffled about. This continues to be the case, but it's getting a bit
> better.

One thing to pay attention to; when you create/modify your ddclient
script(s?), I highly recommend that you pay attention to, and use the
ssl options:
http://dyn.com/support/clients/linux/ddclient/
[Secure Updates]
Also, I run ddclient in daemon mode & to keep 'update' traffic down, I
have it configured for 'daemon=3600' (every 60 minutes). You can adjust
accordingly, But in my case I figure I don't need to update any earlier.

> I'm in the midst of transferring domain registration to dyndns, since
> my existing registration will expire in 2 months anyway. This is
> included in the price of the "standard" package, and about matches
> what I've been paying for domain registration alone. I'm working on
> transferring the domain registration now.
>
> It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Not that much. It's all pretty easy to get the hang of it once you've
tried it. Also, once you've created your first /etc/ddclient.conf, you
can easily copy that to other machines & make slight modifications as
necessary.