Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Willis Taylor

Default Wine freezes

I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine freezes.

I'm totally lost.

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
> put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
> installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine
> freezes.
I did the same thing with success for two new servers:
HP Proliant dual core AMD64 1.8MHz 2GiB RAM and Gutsy live.
To satisfy your question beforehand: I installed wine in order to run
Mercury on both of them.
I used all the defaults when installing wine and the application, mercury,
is installed under ~/.wine/drive_c
I get one error though saying that "GLX is not installed". I have problems
getting the Matrox 2000g video drivers to work. Could this video issue be
the difference? What about your error logs?
This probably doesn't help you, but at least now you know it should be
possible.
--
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 04-04-2008, 04:49 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

> I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
> put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
> installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine
> freezes.
>
> I'm totally lost.
>
> --
> Bond Servant,
> Bill Taylor
> Killer Spade 806 CE
> 1968-'69

Carl Friis-hansen

Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Philippe Didier

Willis Taylor wrote:
> I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
> put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
> installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine freezes.
>
> I'm totally lost.

Hi,

I don't have the answer but try to add another user, and launch
wine/notepad. These was working for me.
This is not a solution, but can be a lead to follow for debugger.

Philippe

Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:34:58 -0500
Willis Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
> put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
> installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine freezes.
>
> I'm totally lost.

Try running it from the command line [ `wine [path_to_windows_application]` ] and seeing what's outputted.
By default, you'll have notepad.

--
Avi Greenbury <god@lordandmaker.co.uk>

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Philippe Didier

Avi Greenbury wrote:

Try running it from the command line [ `wine [path_to_windows_application]` ] and seeing what's outputted.
By default, you'll have notepad.

We will see the answer but if this is the same problem as me, this will
freeze the system again. Even unistall reinstall with --purge did not
help ... anxious to read the answer ;-)

Philippe

Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Willis Taylor

Philippe Didier wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> Try running it from the command line [ `wine [path_to_windows_application]` ] and seeing what's outputted.
>> By default, you'll have notepad.
>>

> We will see the answer but if this is the same problem as me, this
> will freeze the system again. Even unistall reinstall with --purge did
> not help ... anxious to read the answer ;-)
> Philippe

I tried everything I could think of to run the Notepad from the terminal
and the only result I achieved was to determine that I did not have the
slightest idea of what I was doing. Everything I tried returned, "No
such file or directory. "

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Johnny McDonald

I've actually had this problem with wine too. The best solution is to
not use wine. You should dual boot if you aren't already. So if you
have any problems with that just shoot me an email.

Sent from my iPod

On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:49 PM, "Carl Friis-Hansen" <carl.friis-hansen@carl-fh.com

Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
NoOp

On 04/03/2008 08:34 PM, Willis Taylor wrote:
> I just put together a new AND Dual Core 4000 on a Biotech K8M800 and I
> put a clean install of Gutsy on it. Everything went along fine until I
> installed Wine and every time I do anything to run Wine the machine freezes.
>
> I'm totally lost.

I wonder if it's related to this:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-driver-via/+bug/196574>
[Wine crashes Ubuntu 7.10 instantly]