Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
"G. "

Default repeated system freezes starting today

I received two separate updates. One of them I noticed had some
updates for Chrome. Since I installed these updates both Chrome and
Firefox have been freezing the whole system. I have been forced to
wait a long time and then sometimes I get a script failure notice.
Sometimes I am forced to pull the plug to shut down.

Sounds like it could be a flash problem. Any suggestions?

I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a Samsung netbook with an external 21"
monitor. I do not know what other info might be useful.

Thanks

garyk

Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Liam Proven

On 26 February 2012 19:02, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I received two separate updates. *One of them I noticed had some
> updates for Chrome. *Since I installed these updates both Chrome and
> Firefox have been freezing the whole system. *I have been forced to
> wait a long time and then sometimes I get a script failure notice.
> Sometimes I am forced to pull the plug to shut down.
>
> Sounds like it could be a flash problem. *Any suggestions?
>
> I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a Samsung netbook with an external 21"
> monitor. *I do not know what other info might be useful.

One of the most common answers is "keep updating and hope that it goes
away again soon".

How are you doing the update? What version of Flash do you have? Are
you running 32-bit or 64-bit?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
"G. "

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 February 2012 19:02, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I received two separate updates. *One of them I noticed had some
>> updates for Chrome. *Since I installed these updates both Chrome and
>> Firefox have been freezing the whole system. *I have been forced to
>> wait a long time and then sometimes I get a script failure notice.
>> Sometimes I am forced to pull the plug to shut down.
>>
>> Sounds like it could be a flash problem. *Any suggestions?
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a Samsung netbook with an external 21"
>> monitor. *I do not know what other info might be useful.
>
> One of the most common answers is "keep updating and hope that it goes
> away again soon".
>
> How are you doing the update? What version of Flash do you have? Are
> you running 32-bit or 64-bit?
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

32 bit. Flash 11.1.102.62 flash plugin. I am doing update from update manager.

I am sure it will likely go away by itself but in the meantime it is
driving me crazy.

garyk

Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Liam Proven

On 26 February 2012 19:37, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 February 2012 19:02, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I received two separate updates. *One of them I noticed had some
>>> updates for Chrome. *Since I installed these updates both Chrome and
>>> Firefox have been freezing the whole system. *I have been forced to
>>> wait a long time and then sometimes I get a script failure notice.
>>> Sometimes I am forced to pull the plug to shut down.
>>>
>>> Sounds like it could be a flash problem. *Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a Samsung netbook with an external 21"
>>> monitor. *I do not know what other info might be useful.
>>
>> One of the most common answers is "keep updating and hope that it goes
>> away again soon".
>>
>> How are you doing the update? What version of Flash do you have? Are
>> you running 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hmm. That is the latest, AFAIK, and it's what I'm running as well,
with no problems at all.

Do you use the GUI updater or do it the CLI way with `apt-get dist-upgrade` ?

I don't know of any problems, but I guess there's no harm in some
generic troubleshooting steps.

I'd try:

Doing an fsck on all filesystems (as root, do a `touch /forcefsck` -
ditto if you have a separate /home fs: `sudo touch /home/forcefsck')

Clean out the APT cache &c:
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get purge

Check for & try to fix broken packages:
apt-get install -f

And finally do an
apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Then reboot and hope it goes away?

This is all just generic housekeeping, really...

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 AM
"G. "

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 February 2012 19:37, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> One of the most common answers is "keep updating and hope that it goes
>>> away again soon".
>>>
>>> How are you doing the update? What version of Flash do you have? Are
>>> you running 32-bit or 64-bit?
>
> Hmm. That is the latest, AFAIK, and it's what I'm running as well,
> with no problems at all.
>
> Do you use the GUI updater or do it the CLI way with `apt-get dist-upgrade` ?
>
> I don't know of any problems, but I guess there's no harm in some
> generic troubleshooting steps.
>
> I'd try:
>
> Doing an fsck on all filesystems (as root, do a `touch /forcefsck` -
> ditto if you have a separate /home fs: `sudo touch /home/forcefsck')
>
> Clean out the APT cache &c:
> sudo apt-get clean
> sudo apt-get autoclean
> sudo apt-get autoremove
> sudo apt-get purge
>
> Check for & try to fix broken packages:
> apt-get install -f
>
> And finally do an
> apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>
> Then reboot and hope it goes away?
>
> This is all just generic housekeeping, really...
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Did all that, will see how it goes. Last night it froze up during a
playback of an avi video.

I use the GUI updater.

Thanks for the assistance!

garyk

Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 AM
"G. "

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hmm. That is the latest, AFAIK, and it's what I'm running as well,
>> with no problems at all.
>>
>> Do you use the GUI updater or do it the CLI way with `apt-get dist-upgrade` ?
>>
>> I don't know of any problems, but I guess there's no harm in some
>> generic troubleshooting steps.
>>
>> I'd try:
>>
>> Doing an fsck on all filesystems (as root, do a `touch /forcefsck` -
>> ditto if you have a separate /home fs: `sudo touch /home/forcefsck')
>>
>> Clean out the APT cache &c:
>> sudo apt-get clean
>> sudo apt-get autoclean
>> sudo apt-get autoremove
>> sudo apt-get purge
>>
>> Check for & try to fix broken packages:
>> apt-get install -f
>>
>> And finally do an
>> apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>>
>> Then reboot and hope it goes away?
>>
>> This is all just generic housekeeping, really...
>>
>> --
>> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
>> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
>> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
>> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>>
>> --
>
> Did all that, will see how it goes. *Last night it froze up during a
> playback of an avi video.
>
> I use the GUI updater.
>
> Thanks for the assistance!
>

> garyk

Unfortunately the system froze up again using Chrome and Firefox.
Having to unplug to reboot a frozen system 5 times in two days is just
beyond the pale.

Again thanks for your assistance and if you have any other ideas let me know.

garyk

Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Ernest Doub

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hmm. That is the latest, AFAIK, and it's what I'm running as well,

>> with no problems at all.

>> Do you use the GUI updater or do it the CLI way with `apt-get dist-upgrade` ?

>> I don't know of any problems, but I guess there's no harm in some

>> generic troubleshooting steps.

>> I'd try:

>> Doing an fsck on all filesystems (as root, do a `touch /forcefsck` -

>> ditto if you have a separate /home fs: `sudo touch /home/forcefsck')

>> Clean out the APT cache &c:

>> sudo apt-get clean

>> sudo apt-get autoclean

>> sudo apt-get autoremove

>> sudo apt-get purge

>> Check for & try to fix broken packages:

>> apt-get install -f

>> And finally do an

>> apt-get dist-upgrade -y

>> Then reboot and hope it goes away?

>> This is all just generic housekeeping, really...

>> --

>> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile

>> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven

>> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

>> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

>> --

> Did all that, will see how it goes. *Last night it froze up during a

> playback of an avi video.

> I use the GUI updater.

> Thanks for the assistance!

> garyk

Unfortunately the system froze up again using Chrome and Firefox.

Having to unplug to reboot a frozen system 5 times in two days is just

beyond the pale.

Again thanks for your assistance and if you have any other ideas let me know.

garyk

Sounds similar to a problem I had recently involving Firefox and some add on/extension incompatibilities after an update.
They all involved flash video.
Using Ubuntu 10.04 regularly updated and Firefox 10.0.2

--
"If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its
current stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination

"... Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of
mankind,* none has been more effective than that which deludes them with
paper money."

Daniel Webster

Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM
"G. "

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Did all that, will see how it goes. *Last night it froze up during a
>> > playback of an avi video.
>> >
>> > I use the GUI updater.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the assistance!
>> >

>> > garyk
>>
>> Unfortunately the system froze up again using Chrome and Firefox.
>> Having to unplug to reboot a frozen system 5 times in two days is just
>> beyond the pale.
>>
>> Again thanks for your assistance and if you have any other ideas let me
>> know.
>>

>> garyk
>>
>> --
>

> Sounds similar to a problem I had recently involving Firefox and some add
> on/extension incompatibilities after an update.
> They all involved flash video.
> Using Ubuntu 10.04 regularly updated and Firefox 10.0.2
>
> --
> "If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its current
> stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination of the
> thoughts and perceptions that Robert Heinlein has been selling as
> entertainment since 1939." --- Spider Robinson
>
> "... Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind,
> none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money."
> Daniel Webster

Has become so bad I has to switch over to Lubuntu.

garyk

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 AM
"G. "

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately the system froze up again using Chrome and Firefox.
>>> Having to unplug to reboot a frozen system 5 times in two days is just
>>> beyond the pale.
>>>
>>> Again thanks for your assistance and if you have any other ideas let me
>>> know.
>>>

>>> garyk
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> Sounds similar to a problem I had recently involving Firefox and some add
>> on/extension incompatibilities after an update.
>> They all involved flash video.
>> Using Ubuntu 10.04 regularly updated and Firefox 10.0.2
>>
>> --
>> "If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its current
>> stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination of the
>> thoughts and perceptions that Robert Heinlein has been selling as
>> entertainment since 1939." --- Spider Robinson
>>
>> "... Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind,
>> none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money."
>> Daniel Webster
>>

>> --
>>

> Has become so bad I had to switch over to Lubuntu.
>
> garyk

Would loading an earlier kernel help? I should think not.

garyk

Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
"G. "

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds similar to a problem I had recently involving Firefox and some add
>>> on/extension incompatibilities after an update.
>>> They all involved flash video.
>>> Using Ubuntu 10.04 regularly updated and Firefox 10.0.2
>>>
>>> --
>>> "If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its current
>>> stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination of the
>>> thoughts and perceptions that Robert Heinlein has been selling as
>>> entertainment since 1939." --- Spider Robinson
>>>
>>> "... Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind,
>>> none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money."
>>> Daniel Webster
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Has become so bad I had to switch over to Lubuntu.
>>
>> gary
>
> Would loading an earlier kernel help? *I should think not.
>

> garyk

I loaded gnome 3 and used it for a while until it too froze up.

garyk