Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Joseph

Default Nervous Mouse Syndrome

Joseph wrote:

I have a nervously, jittery mouse. It wasn't like this on WinXP but is
with Ubuntu. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible.

Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering about. I can sometimes
let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
Also, when I click on a link in a web page, may time the page will jump
up just as I click, and the click will invariably miss the link....
and I end up in places I didn't want to be.

Joseph

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Karl Larsen

Joseph wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
>

> I have a nervously, jittery mouse. It wasn't like this on WinXP but is
> with Ubuntu. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible.
>
> Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering about. I can sometimes
> let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
> Also, when I click on a link in a web page, may time the page will jump
> up just as I click, and the click will invariably miss the link....
> and I end up in places I didn't want to be.
>
> Joseph

Get a track ball. Mine is from Logitec and it works fine now for
over 5 years.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Karl Auer

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 19:22 -0500, Joseph wrote:
> Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering about. I can sometimes
> let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
> [...]
> Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible

Can you try with another, preferably identical, mouse? Just to determine
whether it is the mouse itself that's causing the problem.

Also, clean the base with a soft cloth, and make sure the surface you
are using it on is clean.

It's unlikely to help much, but it might make the thing more usable if
you set the sensitivity down:

System->Preferences->Mouse->Motion->Sensitivity

Is it possible that your system is configured with the wrong mouse
driver? Check in /etc/X11/xorg.conf; for that kind of mouse I'd expect
to see "ImPS/2" as the protocol (search in the file for "Protocol").

Regards, K.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
>

> I have a nervously, jittery mouse. It wasn't like
> this on WinXP but is
> with Ubuntu. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical 1.0
> PS2/USB Compatible.
>
> Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering
> about. I can sometimes
> let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
> Also, when I click on a link in a web page, may time
> the page will jump
> up just as I click, and the click will invariably
> miss the link....
> and I end up in places I didn't want to be.

May or not be useful but I found that one of my
optical mouses drifts badly on a smooth surface but
the one on a mouse pad stays in one place. If the
mouse jitters on a stable base, I'd agree with Karl,
check the integrity of the mouse's working mechanism
or get a better mouse.
Good luck,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 AM
scott

Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Joseph

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:
>>

>> I have a nervously, jittery mouse. It wasn't like this on WinXP but is
>> with Ubuntu. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible.
>>
>> Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering about. I can sometimes
>> let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
>> Also, when I click on a link in a web page, may time the page will jump
>> up just as I click, and the click will invariably miss the link....
>> and I end up in places I didn't want to be.
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> Get a track ball. Mine is from Logitec and it works fine now for
> over 5 years.
>
> Karl

I have a track ball too and it wasn't recognized by Ubuntu.

Joseph

Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Karl Larsen

scott wrote:

I doubt that it is Ham Radio interference. The mouse stuff is around
2400 Mhz and most Ham stuff now is lower than 10 MHz.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Karl Larsen

Joseph wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Joseph wrote:
>>
>>> Joseph wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a nervously, jittery mouse. It wasn't like this on WinXP but is
>>> with Ubuntu. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible.
>>>
>>> Any way I can get the cursor to stop jittering about. I can sometimes
>>> let go of it and the cursor will wander a bit.
>>> Also, when I click on a link in a web page, may time the page will jump
>>> up just as I click, and the click will invariably miss the link....
>>> and I end up in places I didn't want to be.
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>>

>> Get a track ball. Mine is from Logitec and it works fine now for
>> over 5 years.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> I have a track ball too and it wasn't recognized by Ubuntu.
>
> Joseph

Interesting what make is your track ball and how does it plug in?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Aaron

Karl Larsen wrote:
> scott wrote:

> I doubt that it is Ham Radio interference. The mouse stuff is around
> 2400 Mhz and most Ham stuff now is lower than 10 MHz.
>
> Karl

Some wireless mouses work in 27 Mhz and 41 Mhz of they are old. However
if its a wired mouse there should not be this type of problem. Unless
its some seriously strong ham.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Joseph

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Get a track ball. Mine is from Logitec and it works fine now for
>>> over 5 years.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> I have a track ball too and it wasn't recognized by Ubuntu.
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> Interesting what make is your track ball and how does it plug in?
>
> Karl

It's a PC Trac Deluxe+ PD800 by MicroSpeed Inc. It fits the old mouse port rather than the OS2 or USB.

Both of these:
PC Delux track Ball
[http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Microspeed-PC-TRAC-Deluxe-PD-800]
Microsoft Optical 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible optical track ball
[http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/3298/cat/myprod]

...have worked beautifuly on my XP Pro system. Just not on Ubuntu.

Interestingly, my optical trackball has the two buttons for "page forward" and "page back" but they
don't work, as the writer on the page indicated, but thought the responder said it could be
programed, there was no info on how....

Never-the-less, I like this optical trackball (and yes I do keep it clean), and I would like tit to
do what it should....

And something else, the jittery movement has eased up after I put a folded shirt under it. It
"seems" to be working smoothly now.

Joseph