Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Unity Crash?

Hi all,
I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with an nVidia GForce 8400GS.
Every now and then I notice the "frame" around the windows (the one containing the minimize, restore and close buttons of each window) is gone. I can't point to a specific application or action that causes this. To restore it I run 'unity --replace' from the Run dialogue (ALT-F2).

Is there any way to track the culprit? What can I do?
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Jkhatri

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with an nVidia GForce 8400GS.

Every now and then I notice the "frame" around the windows
(the one containing the minimize, restore and close buttons of
each window) is gone. I can't point to a specific application
or action that causes this. To restore it I run 'unity
--replace' from the Run dialogue (ALT-F2).

Same things happen on ATI Graphics card ...* I've added a script in
right-click to reload the window decorator

compiz-decorator --restart &

exit 0

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Colin Law

On 24 February 2012 11:33, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with an nVidia GForce 8400GS.
>
> Every now and then I notice the "frame" around the windows (the one
> containing the minimize, restore and close buttons of each window) is gone.
> I can't point to a specific application or action that causes this. To
> restore it I run 'unity --replace' from the Run dialogue (ALT-F2).
>
> Is there any way to track the culprit? What can I do?

Could it be this bug?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/728679

Colin

Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Amichai Rotman

It sounds like it is that bug. Is it fixed?

I also have dual head setup on my nVidia, but I rearly use it. Could it be it?

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Colin Law

On 24 February 2012 16:24, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> It sounds like it is that bug. Is it fixed?

It is marked as fix released on Unity but some are still reporting it.
Perhaps the status should be updated.

> I also have dual head setup on my nVidia, but I rearly use it. Could it be
> it?
>
> How do I fix this?

Start by adding yourself to the bug.

Have you tried using unity-2d to see if it fixes it for you? On the
logon screen click the cog next to the password and select 2d.

Colin

> Thanks!
>
> On Feb 24, 2012 1:44 PM, "Jkhatri" <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday 24 February 2012 05:03 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with an nVidia GForce 8400GS.
>>
>> Every now and then I notice the "frame" around the windows (the one
>> containing the minimize, restore and close buttons of each window) is gone.
>> I can't point to a specific application or action that causes this. To
>> restore it I run 'unity --replace' from the Run dialogue (ALT-F2).
>>

>> Same things happen on ATI Graphics card ...* I've added a script in
>> right-click to reload the window decorator
>>
>> compiz-decorator --restart &
>> exit 0
>>

>> --
>>
>> */
>>
>> Jatin Khatri
>>
>> RHCSA RHCE CCNA
>>
>> www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin
>>
>> Phone (+91) 98250 20393
>>
>> Save Paper, Save Environment.**
>> (Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)
>>

>> --

gplus.to/clanlaw