Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
NoOp

Default Hint List

In working with Hardy, including upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy Alpha 6,
and doing fresh installs w/Hardy Beta, I've come across a few things
that, for now, might be of some help to others:

1. OpenOffice.

OpenOffice does not come fully installed. Apparently there is a "lack of
space" on the Alternate install CD that prevents providing critical OOo
components from being initially installed, namely things such as:
- openoffice.org-java-common
- openoffice.org-base
- openoffice.org-math
- openoffice.org-filter-<x>
- openoffice-evolution
etc. As a result, the wizards won't work and any other java required OOo
componets won't work.

To resolve:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org openoffice.org-evolution

That will bring in the missing bits. See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546

2. Sound -386 kernel.

If you are using the -386 kernel (restricted module) instead of the
-generic module, and applied by only installing the restricted module,
sound doesn't work. It does work in -generic. To resolve:

sudo apt-get install linux-386

[That pulls in the complete kernel, including the missing
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-<currentrev>-386 modules.]

See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/204667/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/192005/

3. ltmodem.

If you are using the -386 kernel (restricted module) instead of the
-generic module for ltmodem support - make sure that you are upgraded to
2.6.24.12-14.32. Note: also for nvidia & fglrx issues.

See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/210652>

Perhaps others can add more to this list in order to help others make
the Hardy transition easier & we can keep it going until Hardy is
reasonably stable. If so, please include a link to the bug report that
resolved the problem. A list of Hardy specific bugs is located here:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ogasawara/hardy-buglist.html

Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
galt

thanks for this useful info

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Carl Spitzer

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 09:41 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> In working with Hardy, including upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy Alpha 6,
> and doing fresh installs w/Hardy Beta, I've come across a few things
> that, for now, might be of some help to others:
>
> 1. OpenOffice.

Best solution for OOo is to get it from OpenOffice.org.
Never had a problem even with out of date distro versions.

CWSIV

Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
NoOp

On 04/04/2008 01:21 PM, Carl Spitzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 09:41 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> In working with Hardy, including upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy Alpha 6,
>> and doing fresh installs w/Hardy Beta, I've come across a few things
>> that, for now, might be of some help to others:
>>
>> 1. OpenOffice.
>>

> Best solution for OOo is to get it from OpenOffice.org.
> Never had a problem even with out of date distro versions.
>
> CWSIV

I do the same (I have 2.3.1, 3.0dev, and (U)OOo 2.4.0rc all installed on
the same machine at the same time) - however I started the 'hint list'
to be Ubuntu specific & helpful for those that use directly from the repos.

When running alpha, or beta, the purpose is to run & troubleshoot
off-the-shelf so that the product(s) can make it to standard release.