Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Saikat Saha

Default How to clone HDD in an External HDD in ubuntu 11.04

Hi,

I want to clone a HDD to another External HDD in Ubuntu 11.04. Please
let me know the process for cloning & also the process for extract
that clone external HDD Image to another system.

Regards,
Saikat Saha

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 AM
"J. Bakshi"

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:39:01 +0530
Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to clone a HDD to another External HDD in Ubuntu 11.04. Please
> let me know the process for cloning & also the process for extract
> that clone external HDD Image to another system.
>

> Regards,
> Saikat Saha

dd_rescue -v infile outfile

so

dd_rescue -v <partition to read> <<partition to write>

Please read the man page once more to confirm infile outfile order.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Dustin Oprea

This might not be what you're looking for, but if the second hard drive is not the same size, doing a byte-level copy with DD may not be optimal.
You might want to do a "cp -pr" (to copy recursively, along with the permissions) or an rsync (I think "-a" should do owners, permissions, recursivity, timestamp copy, etc..).

You can also use rsync to copy to a remote system, but you can also use SystemImager to create a perfect copy of a hard drive or partition and deploy it to one or many other locations (like Ghost). However, since SystemImager is file-level and not byte-level, it easily clones to hard-drives that aren't necessarily the same size. It also does things like cloning the data and then changing the IP on the remote system.

Dustin Oprea

Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> dd_rescue -v infile outfile
>
> so
>
> dd_rescue -v <partition to read> *<<partition to *write>

Curious to know the reason why ddrescue is preferred to dd?

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 AM
"J. Bakshi"

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:24:44 +0800
Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > dd_rescue -v infile outfile
> >
> > so
> >
> > dd_rescue -v <partition to read> *<<partition to *write>
>
> Curious to know the reason why ddrescue is preferred to dd?

It tries to read and if it fails, it will go on with the next sectors where tools like dd will fail.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Saikat Saha

This might not be what you're looking for, but if the second hard
drive is not the same size, doing a byte-level copy with DD may not be
optimal.

You might want to do a "cp -pr" (to copy recursively, along with the
permissions) or an rsync (I think "-a" should do owners, permissions,
recursivity, timestamp copy, etc..).

You can also use rsync to copy to a remote system, but you can also
use SystemImager to create a perfect copy of a hard drive or partition
and deploy it to one or many other locations (like Ghost). However,
since SystemImager is file-level and not byte-level, it easily clones
to hard-drives that aren't necessarily the same size. It also does
things like cloning the data and then changing the IP on the remote
system.

Dustin Oprea

can you please let me know how to install Systemimager & clone the hdd
as I am not to find the package from synaptic ?

Saikat

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Jkhatri

On Thursday 23 February 2012 01:07 PM, J. Bakshi wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:24:44 +0800
Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

dd_rescue -v infile outfile

so

dd_rescue -v <partition to read> *<<partition to *write>

Curious to know the reason why ddrescue is preferred to dd?

It tries to read and if it fails, it will go on with the next sectors where tools like dd will fail.

good explanation ..... but what do you think about clonezilla*
..have a look at this[1]

[1]

http://clonezilla.org/

*

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Dustin Oprea

You're going to have to do that work yourself. Never mind SystemImager.. It's probably not a good solution for you.
Use the other guy's suggestion... Clonezilla.

Use Google to figure it out.
Dustin Oprea

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Colin Law

On 23 February 2012 14:31, Dustin Oprea <myselfasunder@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're going to have to do that work yourself. Never mind SystemImager..
> It's probably not a good solution for you.
>
> Use the other guy's suggestion... Clonezilla.

+1 for clonezilla. Google for clonezilla tutorial and you will find several.

Colin

Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Johan Scheepers

wrote:

>> Hi

>> > dd_rescue -v infile outfile

>> > so

>> > dd_rescue -v <partition to read>
*<<partition to *write>

>> Curious to know the reason why ddrescue is
preferred to dd?

> *It tries to read and if it fails, it will go on
with the next sectors where tools like dd will fail.

I would also suggest clenezilla. Used it a few times wit suscces.
Johan

dangerous content by Pinpoint Securemail,

and is believed to be clean.