Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Chris Green

Default Automount of USB drives not working

I've just discovered that automounting of USB drives isn't working on my
xubuntu 11.10 system.

I can see the device with lsusb:-

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0951:1607 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100

but no sign of it automounting.

The "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" setting is ticked and it
always used to work (though I'm not absolutely sure it has worked
since I upgraded to 11.10).

Any ideas?

--
Chris Green

Old 02-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Zind

I've just discovered that automounting of USB drives isn't working on my

xubuntu 11.10 system.

I can see the device with lsusb:-

* *Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0951:1607 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100

but no sign of it automounting.

The "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" setting is ticked and it

always used to work (though I'm not absolutely sure it has worked

since *I upgraded to 11.10).

Any ideas?

Well,IMO, it may be a matter of your USB drive.Linux may not recognize some kinds of file system format, for example, if you USB drive is formatted to be used as a Windows PE boot disc.

Does your USB drive work properly before the upgrade? Do you change the file system format of your USB drive?Myabe you can try your USB drive on another Linux OS machine and see whether your USB drive can be mounted automatically.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Chris Green

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:56:13AM +0800, Zind wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Chris Green <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> I've just discovered that automounting of USB drives isn't working on my
> xubuntu 11.10 system.
>
> I can see the device with lsusb:-
>
> A A Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0951:1607 Kingston Technology DataTraveler
> 100
>
> but no sign of it automounting.
>
> The "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" setting is ticked and it
> always used to work (though I'm not absolutely sure it has worked
> since A I upgraded to 11.10).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Well,
> IMO, it may be a matter of your USB drive.
> Linux may not recognize some kinds of file system format, for example, if
> you USB drive is formatted to be used as a Windows PE boot disc.
> Does your USB drive work properly before the upgrade? Do you change the
> file system format of your USB drive?

It's a drive that works in other Linux boxes, not to mention that I
tried several USB (and other) flash drives, *none* of them automounted.

> Myabe you can try your USB drive on another Linux OS machine and see
> whether your USB drive can be mounted automatically.

Yes, did that too, and it worked.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

Mine used to do that, until I added a "notification" applet to my panel.
Somehow I managed to remove it, dinking around with my panel bar, and I
got no notifications or automount behavior until I re-installed it.
Using 11.10 Xubuntu. Ah ...it's called "Mount Devices". and puts a
little hard drive looking icon on the panel.

Huh, just noticed that adding "Indicator Plugin" adds a "Network
Indicator Plugin", which is not a "system notification" in my mind.
Huh... the icon should have an "i" on it, from the installer, but I keep
getting two up-down arrows. Gonna have to check on that one. Ric

Ric

Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Chris Green

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 04:34:21PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/24/2012 02:16 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:56:13AM +0800, Zind wrote:
> >> Myabe you can try your USB drive on another Linux OS machine and see
> >> whether your USB drive can be mounted automatically.
> >>
> >Yes, did that too, and it worked.
>
> Mine used to do that, until I added a "notification" applet to my
> panel. Somehow I managed to remove it, dinking around with my panel
> bar, and I got no notifications or automount behavior until I
> re-installed it. Using 11.10 Xubuntu. Ah ...it's called "Mount
> Devices". and puts a little hard drive looking icon on the panel.
>
> Huh, just noticed that adding "Indicator Plugin" adds a "Network
> Indicator Plugin", which is not a "system notification" in my mind.
> Huh... the icon should have an "i" on it, from the installer, but I
> keep getting two up-down arrows. Gonna have to check on that one.

Ah, now that's a clue, I have been doing things to the panel. I'll go
and check that I have something suitable there. Thanks.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Ric Moore

Myabe you can try your USB drive on another Linux OS machine and see
whether your USB drive can be mounted automatically.

Yes, did that too, and it worked.

Mine used to do that, until I added a "notification" applet to my
panel. Somehow I managed to remove it, dinking around with my panel
bar, and I got no notifications or automount behavior until I
re-installed it. Using 11.10 Xubuntu. Ah ...it's called "Mount
Devices". and puts a little hard drive looking icon on the panel.

Huh, just noticed that adding "Indicator Plugin" adds a "Network
Indicator Plugin", which is not a "system notification" in my mind.
Huh... the icon should have an "i" on it, from the installer, but I
keep getting two up-down arrows. Gonna have to check on that one.

Ah, now that's a clue, I have been doing things to the panel. I'll go
and check that I have something suitable there. Thanks.

Let us all know what you find! It's usually a doozy. My mistakes often
are! Ric