Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
R Kimber

Default Simple (?) question about sound system

Can anyone tell me what happens (i.e. what processing takes place) when I
play a file of music?

If I set the default sample rate in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to 96000, say,
and I play a file that has a sample rate of 44100, then that file seems to
be upsampled to 96000.

But what I'd like to know is what happens when I play a 96kHz file? Does
the re-sampling just get by-passed and the music played directly, as it
were (i.e. as it would be if it was being streamed) . Or is every file
re-sampled at 96000 regardless of its inherent sampled rate?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources