Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
CJ Tres

Default running a simple command line tool

I have downloaded an mp3 player sync tool called natool, for the Neuros
II DAP. It is a simple command line tool and non-interactive.

It successfully decompressed and installed (using a perl script) after
the dev included a perl module that was needed.

The man page shows how to copy music to the player:
(back slashes were used by the developer to indicate different parts of
the command)

natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros
dirsync ~/music/ my_music
dbsync

However when I run the above command the return tells me that no command
'natool' was found and suggests that I may have meant 'atool'

after unpacking and installing I cd'd to the resultant directory to run
the command.
Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I've not been able to discover
what that is.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:53:05 -0600
CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:

> I have downloaded an mp3 player sync tool called natool, for the
> Neuros II DAP. It is a simple command line tool and non-interactive.
>
> It successfully decompressed and installed (using a perl script)
> after the dev included a perl module that was needed.
>
> The man page shows how to copy music to the player:
> (back slashes were used by the developer to indicate different parts
> of the command)
>
> natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros
> dirsync ~/music/ my_music
> dbsync
>
> However when I run the above command the return tells me that no
> command 'natool' was found and suggests that I may have meant 'atool'
>
> after unpacking and installing I cd'd to the resultant directory to
> run the command.
> Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I've not been able to discover
> what that is.

If you enter simply the name of what you want to run, like

$ natool

Then your shell will try to find it in your $PATH. $PATH is a variable
that contains a colon-delimited list of directories in which you can
expect to find binaries to run (run echo $PATH if you're interested
in what they are.

If you want to run a command outside of the $PATH you need to provide
the path to it. If it's in your current directory, that's simply './',
so you might do

$ ./natool

to run natool in your current directory, and ../natool to run something
called natool in your parent directory. What you probably want,
therefore, is:

./natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros dirsync ~/music/ my_music dbsync

--
Avi.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Hal Burgiss

I have downloaded an mp3 player sync tool called natool, for the Neuros II DAP. It is a simple command line tool and non-interactive.

natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros

* * * * * * * *dirsync ~/music/ my_music

* * * * * * * *dbsync

However when I run the above command the return tells me that no command 'natool' was found and suggests that I may have meant 'atool'

after unpacking and installing I cd'd to the resultant directory to run the command.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I've not been able to discover what that is.

*Try ./natool .... etc. You need ./ if in the same directory with the command.

--
Hal

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
CJ Tres

If you enter simply the name of what you want to run, like

$ natool

Then your shell will try to find it in your $PATH. $PATH is a variable
that contains a colon-delimited list of directories in which you can
expect to find binaries to run (run echo $PATH if you're interested
in what they are.

If you want to run a command outside of the $PATH you need to provide
the path to it. If it's in your current directory, that's simply './',
so you might do

$ ./natool

to run natool in your current directory, and ../natool to run something
called natool in your parent directory. What you probably want,
therefore, is:

./natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros dirsync ~/music/ my_music dbsync

Yes. I could have been a bit more detailed.
I did try ./natool also, from within and outside the dir that hold the
binary.

Natool (or rather natool) gets the result "No command 'natool' found..."
./natool results in "./natool: No such file or directory" wherever it is
run from.

Time to email the dev again I guess.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Steve Flynn

On 22 February 2012 14:49, CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:

> Natool (or rather natool) gets the result "No command 'natool' found..."
> ./natool results in "./natool: No such file or directory" wherever it is run
> from.

Sounds very much like the natool code doesn't have the execute bit set.

cd into the directory natool resides in
chmod +x natool

then try calling it with "./natool"

--
Steve

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:49:17AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 08:36 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>

> >If you enter simply the name of what you want to run, like
> >
> >$ natool
> >
> >Then your shell will try to find it in your $PATH. $PATH is a variable
> >that contains a colon-delimited list of directories in which you can
> >expect to find binaries to run (run echo $PATH if you're interested
> >in what they are.
> >
> >If you want to run a command outside of the $PATH you need to provide
> >the path to it. If it's in your current directory, that's simply './',
> >so you might do
> >
> >$ ./natool
> >
> >to run natool in your current directory, and ../natool to run something
> >called natool in your parent directory. What you probably want,
> >therefore, is:
> >
> >./natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros dirsync ~/music/ my_music dbsync
> >

> Yes. I could have been a bit more detailed.
> I did try ./natool also, from within and outside the dir that hold
> the binary.
> Natool (or rather natool) gets the result "No command 'natool' found..."
> ./natool results in "./natool: No such file or directory" wherever
> it is run from.

Show us the result of "ls -l" in the directory where you [think you]
have natool installed.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
CJ Tres

On 02/22/2012 09:05 AM, Steve Flynn wrote:

On 22 February 2012 14:49, CJ Tres<ctres@grics.net> wrote:

Sounds very much like the natool code doesn't have the execute bit set.

cd into the directory natool resides in
chmod +x natool

then try calling it with "./natool"

Checking that it was set to execute was the first thing I did, looking
at the properties>permissions of the perl script, and found the allow to
execute box ticked.

Also I did try ./natool.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
CJ Tres

<mailto:ctres@grics.net>> wrote:

I have downloaded an mp3 player sync tool called natool, for the
Neuros II DAP. It is a simple command line tool and non-interactive.

natool --neuros-path /mnt/neuros
dirsync ~/music/ my_music
dbsync

However when I run the above command the return tells me that no
command 'natool' was found and suggests that I may have meant 'atool'

after unpacking and installing I cd'd to the resultant directory to
run the command.
Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I've not been able to discover
what that is.

Try ./natool .... etc. You need ./ if in the same directory with the
command.

--
Hal

I was in the dir created when I unpacked it but just now, ran it from
the bin dir which is inside that and got:

"Invalid command option --dev/sdd1.

"/dev/sdd1" is the path to the Neuros and "media/IDW IO D001"/ is the
mount point

Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Avi Greenbury

CJ Tres wrote:
> Yes. I could have been a bit more detailed.
> I did try ./natool also, from within and outside the dir that hold
> the binary.
> Natool (or rather natool) gets the result "No command 'natool'
> found..." ./natool results in "./natool: No such file or directory"
> wherever it is run from.

Aha, I've just re-read and seen that you've installed it, which means
that it's probably not simply extracted into your current working
directory.
Normally, install scripts attempt to put the binary somewhere in your
$PATH, but he might have missed (gone for somewhere that normally is,
but in this case isn't).
Quickest would be either to peruse the Makefile.PL and/or configure
scripts to see if there's any clue, or pehaps to email the developer
and ask them. It might well be in the README or INSTALL files, too, so
that'd be worth doing before poking him.

Were did you get this package from? I'll have a go at installing it and
see if I can let you know everything it needs to get it working if you
like.
--
Avi

Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
CJ Tres

On 02/22/2012 09:16 AM, Chris Green wrote:

Show us the result of "ls -l" in the directory where you [think you]
have natool installed.

This is from the directory that holds the bin dir where the script lives:
drwxr-xr-x 2 curt curt 4096 2012-02-22 06:59 bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 1053 2012-02-21 17:33 Copyright.txt
drwxr-xr-x 5 curt curt 4096 2012-02-21 17:33 CPAN
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 7977 2012-02-21 17:33 install.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 18009 2012-02-21 17:33 LICENSE.GPL
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 31020 2012-02-21 17:33 natool.1.pod
drwxr-xr-x 3 curt curt 4096 2012-02-21 17:33 Neuros
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 2464 2012-02-21 17:33 README
drwxr-xr-x 9 curt curt 4096 2012-02-22 07:05 regression_tests
-rw-r--r-- 1 curt curt 8 2012-02-21 17:33 VERSION

This is from within the "bin" dir:
total 4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 curt curt 274 2012-02-21 17:33 natool