Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Ashim Kapoor

Default Does -O mean rename in wget?

Dear all,

I want to do this :-

wget -O http://www.ex.com/long_filename myfile.zip*

Is this the way it is used ?

Many thanks,
Ashim

Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Alexander Skwar

Hi

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 14:09, Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I want to do this :-
>
> wget -O http://www.ex.com/long_filename myfile.zip
>
> Is this the way it is used ?

Why don't you simply try it?

14:13:39 a.sk@ewzw032:~/tmp$ LC_ALL=C wget --help | grep -- -O
-O, --output-document=FILE write documents to FILE.

wget -O foo http://example.invalid/some/path/

Alexander
--
↯*** Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣*http://alexs77.soup.io/* ** ↯
↯ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com , AIM: alexws77* ↯

Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I want to do this :-

wget -O http://www.ex.com/long_filename myfile.zip*

Is this the way it is used ?

Many thanks,
Ashim
*
*-O may not work as you expect: Wget
* * * * * *won't just download the first file to file and then download the
* * * * * *rest to their normal names: all downloaded content will be placed* * * * * *in file. This was disabled in version 1.11, but has been reinstated
* * * * * *(with a warning) in 1.11.2, as there are some cases where this
* * * * * *behavior can actually have some use.* The documents will not be written * * * * * * * * *to the appropriate files, but all**will be concatenated together and** * * * * * * * *written to file.*

--
ॐ साम्ब सदा शिवाय*नमः*
*ूतनाथ जी की*जय*

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Alexander Skwar

Would -O work as rename in case of a single file ? That is my question I
guess. If it does not , how do we rename ? Please explain.

After you gave it a try, what resutl did you get?

☄ Google+ ↣ http://plus.skwar.me ☄
☛ Lifestream (Twitter, …) ↣ http://sup.skwar.me ☛
⚰ Twitter: @alexs77 ↣ http://twitter.com/alexs77 ⚰
☞ Chat (Jabber/Google Talk) ↣ a.skwar@gmail.com ☞

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Christopher Sacchi

Maybe try: wget --help.
Good Luck,Chris
Sent from my iPod

Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Christopher Sacchi

Maybe try: wget --help.
Good Luck,*Chris

Sent from my iPod

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Joaquin Nadal Dura

On 02/22/2012 02:22 PM, Ashim Kapoor wrote:
> Would -O work as rename in case of a single file ? That is my question I
> guess. If it does not , how do we rename ? Please explain.

Hi,

It work.

But as it's said on the man page 'Use of -O is not intended to mean
simply "use the name file instead of the one in the URL;..."'.

Best regards,

--
ximo.nadal@ific.uv.es

Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Christopher Sacchi

Try wget --help to see what the option does.--Chris

Sent from my iPod