-   -   Unity menu on 1 screen only? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/636035-unity-menu-1-screen-only.html)

Koh Choon Lin 02-22-2012 01:42 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

Hi

I just added a second monitor to my desktop but noticed that the unity
menu only appears on my second screen. The unity launcher is at the
first screen only.

Thus, I have problems controlling the windows of newly opened
applications, which appear in the first screen, as the entire menu
does not appear.

How do I make the menu to appear on both screens as I have seen it
before on other systems?

--

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Liam Proven 02-22-2012 02:54 PM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

On 22 February 2012 02:42, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just added a second monitor to my desktop but noticed that the unity
> menu only appears on my second screen. The unity launcher is at the
> first screen only.
>
> Thus, I have problems controlling the windows of newly opened
> applications, which appear in the first screen, as the entire menu
> does not appear.
>
> How do I make the menu to appear on both screens as I have seen it
> before on other systems?

What version of Ubuntu? On what hardware, specifically, the graphics
card? With what drivers? Configured how - multiple desktops, one large
desktop, Xinerama, nVidia TwinView, what?

I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
way I like it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Koh Choon Lin 02-23-2012 02:14 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

Hi

> What version of Ubuntu? On what hardware, specifically, the graphics
> card? With what drivers? Configured how - multiple desktops, one large
> desktop, Xinerama, nVidia TwinView, what?
>
> I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
> and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
> left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
> each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
> way I like it.

I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.

Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Colin Law 02-23-2012 08:50 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

On 23 February 2012 03:14, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>> What version of Ubuntu? On what hardware, specifically, the graphics
>> card? With what drivers? Configured how - multiple desktops, one large
>> desktop, Xinerama, nVidia TwinView, what?
>>
>> I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
>> and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
>> left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
>> each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
>> way I like it.
>
> I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
> I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.
>
> Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.

You should see two top panels, one on each monitor. If the two
monitors are of different vertical resolution have you aligned the
/tops/ of the screens in System Setting > Displays. There was a bug
(I don't know whether it has been fixed) that caused problems if you
try to line up the bottom rather than the top.

Also you could try unity-2d rather than 3d to see if that makes a
difference. Click on the gear cog by the password field on logon
screen and select 2d.

Colin

Colin

Koh Choon Lin 02-23-2012 09:38 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

>>> I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
>>> and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
>>> left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
>>> each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
>>> way I like it.
>>
>> I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
>> I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.
>>
>> Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.
>
> You should see two top panels, one on each monitor. *If the two
> monitors are of different vertical resolution have you aligned the
> /tops/ of the screens in System Setting > Displays. *There was a bug
> (I don't know whether it has been fixed) that caused problems if you
> try to line up the bottom rather than the top.
>
> Also you could try unity-2d rather than 3d to see if that makes a
> difference. *Click on the gear cog by the password field on logon
> screen and select 2d.

I am already using Unity 2D. LHS is 1920x1080 while RHS is 1280x1024.
Aligning them top/bottom under "Display" has no effect.

> Colin
>
> Colin

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Colin Law 02-23-2012 10:12 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

On 23 February 2012 10:38, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
>>> I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.
>>>
>>> Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.
>>
>> You should see two top panels, one on each monitor. *If the two
>> monitors are of different vertical resolution have you aligned the
>> /tops/ of the screens in System Setting > Displays. *There was a bug
>> (I don't know whether it has been fixed) that caused problems if you
>> try to line up the bottom rather than the top.
>>
>> Also you could try unity-2d rather than 3d to see if that makes a
>> difference. *Click on the gear cog by the password field on logon
>> screen and select 2d.
>
> I am already using Unity 2D. LHS is 1920x1080 while RHS is 1280x1024.
> Aligning them top/bottom under "Display" has no effect.

Another thing to check is whether you see the same effect if you log
on as a different user (make a new one if necessary).

I can't see anything on launchpad so I think best that you report it
as a bug against unity-2d.

Colin

Koh Choon Lin 02-23-2012 10:48 AM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

Hi

>>> You should see two top panels, one on each monitor. *If the two
>>> monitors are of different vertical resolution have you aligned the
>>> /tops/ of the screens in System Setting > Displays. *There was a bug
>>> (I don't know whether it has been fixed) that caused problems if you
>>> try to line up the bottom rather than the top.

Thanks for this tip. I managed to solve this problem after someone
told me I have to restart the system to see the effect.

Now I have two Unity bars.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Ric Moore 02-23-2012 08:33 PM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

What version of Ubuntu? On what hardware, specifically, the graphics
card? With what drivers? Configured how - multiple desktops, one large
desktop, Xinerama, nVidia TwinView, what?

I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
way I like it.

I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.

Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.

You should see two top panels, one on each monitor.

Assuming you're using nvidia-settings GUI, in "twinview" both monitors
are treated as one monitor, at double the width. So, you have only one
tool bar panel having only one virtual monitor. You can span the tool
bar panel across both monitors, but it looks like #$%^ and just wastes
the upper portion of the second monitor.

If you use the Separate X screen setting you'll have two screens
independent of each other, each having it's own menu bar. Of course that
might strain that video card. In any case, you need to use
nvidia-settings GUI to configure that and not a system tool, since
you'll need everything set in stone to your xorg.conf file, first. Those
system preferences tools for setting up a monitor can't handle a
proprietary driver for beans. IMHO :) Ric

Ric Moore 02-23-2012 08:35 PM

Unity menu on 1 screen only?

I am already using Unity 2D. LHS is 1920x1080 while RHS is 1280x1024.
Aligning them top/bottom under "Display" has no effect.

What tool are you using to setup your displays? And what hardware? All I
can refer to/assist with is an nVidia setup using nvidia-settings gui
application. Ric