Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Liam Proven

Default Ping: Liam Newer kernel backports for 10.04

On 21 February 2012 23:42, Jeff G. <jeff.g.group@att.net> wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. *I'm thinking
>>> the
>>
>> Ric's suggestions looked good to me.
>>
>> What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
>> configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
>> - but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
>> still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
>> not.
>

> Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me on
> this old box and it *will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.
>
> Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
> thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.
>
> My question was do I worry about jockey not seeing the driver - graphics and
> kernel work flawlessly so far.
>
> Tnx for the input,

Ah right.

Well, in that case, no, I wouldn't worry. My guess is that Jockey's
detection of older hardware is failing or has been removed. This is a
problem with Linux in general - it supports a very large "footprint"
of hardware, but it's a constantly moving one, with older stuff
falling off as the devs move to newer and newer kit and can't test or
maintain it. After a while, it is marked as obsolete - nobody's using
it, because it no longer works - and it's removed.

ISA devices are hard work in 2.6, for instance, and floppy drives are
likely to go away as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Jeff G. <jeff.g.group@att.net> wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. *I'm thinking
>>> the
>>
>> Ric's suggestions looked good to me.
>>
>> What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
>> configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
>> - but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
>> still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
>> not.
>

> Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me on
> this old box and it *will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.
>
> Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
> thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.
>
> My question was do I worry about jockey not seeing the driver - graphics and
> kernel work flawlessly so far.
>
> Tnx for the input,

If nvidia-settings provides you its options, without any error
message, you are OK. jockey only recognises the repository provided
driver packages.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Ric Moore

On 02/21/2012 08:58 AM, Jeff G. wrote:

On 02/20/2012 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:

On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

nvidia did that itself upon install - it found and modified the old one.

Not completely. That was my point. It does just a plain Jane job
suitable for most machines, not your's specifically, just to get you
basically running. YOU asked, you got answers. Please try them, as there
is the remote chance there is some validity to what I wrote from years
of using nothing but nVidia and Linux. I know, it can sometimes be a bear.

You should have a lot more in that file than you showed.

I do - I was only addressing nvidia recognition by everything but jockey.

Right, the xorg.conf file has nothing to do with Jockey detecting
anything. Even using Jockey I have yet to see it set up my xorg.conf
configuration properly.

That completes the install. With that new
kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.

Only serious update I can see is something over U 10.04 - all packages
are up to date per Canonical - Thunderbird and Firefox beyond the
versions offered in Synaptic.

Then reboot and see what you have. Ric

The direct from nVidia .run file install puts stuff in places
differently than Ubuntu/Jockey does. That is most likely why jockey
doesn't see it. No matter, you still need to run the nvidia-setup to
tailor your personal setup to your machine and video displays,
especially if you have two or more monitors. Best of all, it can't hurt
and costs you nothing but 3-4 minutes. This will insure that you have
your driver working with your graphics adapter and your monitor 100%. I
wouldn't steer you wrong, Heh, then you won't care what Jockey thinks! Ric

Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Ric Moore

On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

<snip>

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. I'm
thinking the
> manual install had a thing to do with that.

Ric's suggestions looked good to me.

What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
- but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
not.

Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me
on this old box and it will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.

Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.

I wasn't clairvoyant and you didn't mention it, that's how. So, I was
offering up what I figured you needed to know. But, with 64 megs of
memory I don't think I'd strain it too much. Compiz would strain it to
the max for sure. My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run
something real lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left
over for applications. Especially if that is a laptop where you can't
just jam a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric

Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Basil Chupin

On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

<snip>

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. I'm
thinking the
> manual install had a thing to do with that.

Ric's suggestions looked good to me.

What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
- but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
not.

Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me
on this old box and it will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.

Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.

I wasn't clairvoyant and you didn't mention it, that's how. So, I was
offering up what I figured you needed to know. But, with 64 megs of
memory I don't think I'd strain it too much. Compiz would strain it to
the max for sure. My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run
something real lightweight for your desktop, so you have something
left over for applications. Especially if that is a laptop where you
can't just jam a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric

@ Jeff G.

Your MX 420 card requires the legacy driver, #173, to work. In fact,
trying to install anything other than #173 should result in an error
message that your card is not supported (by the driver you are trying to
install eg, the latest nVidia which is #295).

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 AM
"Jeff G."

Compiz would strain it to the max for sure.

I agree but strain only showed in past 2 kernels - no biggee

My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run something real
lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left over for
applications.

hence xfce, tho lightweight is relative...

Especially if that is a laptop where you can't just jam
a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric

don't think $26 will get anything nVidia but haven't looked - I'm just
getting as many miles out of this old Dell carcass as I can while I put
together a custom box.

Thanks for the input

jg

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 AM
"Jeff G."

Your MX 420 card requires the legacy driver, #173

think you might want to check that...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Ric Moore

Compiz would strain it to the max for sure.

I agree but strain only showed in past 2 kernels - no biggee

My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run something real
lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left over for
applications.

hence xfce, tho lightweight is relative...

Lubuntu is supposed to be lighter, but I prefer XFCE myself. Yup, it's
al relative, I first ran Linux on a 486 with less system memory than
your video card has. That was light weight.

Especially if that is a laptop where you can't just jam
a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric

don't think $26 will get anything nVidia but haven't looked - I'm just
getting as many miles out of this old Dell carcass as I can while I put
together a custom box.

Amazon has that one. WITH a video out.
http://www.amazon.com/Brand-NVIDIA-Geforce-FX5500-Graphics/dp/accessories/B001OFPM80
I figured that was important to you to have the TV plug from what you
wrote. I ran two monitors with no sweat on mine.

Shoot, I bought a newer 9400-GT with a gig of memory for $80 and now
it's down to around $45, but that is PCI-E, fanless with a HUGE heat
sink. They're cheap, but not as in cheaply made.

We got a bunch of Dells that have even worse graphics at our non-profit
office. We're talking Trident. <sighs> Ric

Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Basil Chupin

Your MX 420 card requires the legacy driver, #173

think you might want to check that...

You're the one having problems not me so you go and check it out.....

BC

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
"Jeff G."