Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
CJ Tres

Default software install problem perl module

Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"

Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell not
being a programmer.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Avi Greenbury

CJ Tres wrote:

> Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
> tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"
>
> Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell not
> being a programmer.
> Anyone have a clue?

If I do

apt-cache search perl std class

In the results is:

libclass-std-perl - Support for creating standard "inside-out" classes

Which is probably what you want. For CPAN modules in the repositories,
generally you find they take the name of the module on CPAN:

Std::Class

Make it all lower-case:

std::class

Replace any double-colons with a hyphen:

std-class

then put it between 'lib' and '-perl':

libstd-class-std-perl

So, for another (and very contrived) example, what's known on CPAN as
Syntax::Highlight::Engine::Simple
is called
libsyntax-highlight-engine-simple-perl
in apt.

There is a more general discussion as to whether you should be using
Perl modules from apt or by installing them with the CPAN installer
(or, better, cpanminus). Generally, if you're using the system Perl
(that is, the Perl that came with the OS) you're better off sticking to
the apt-supplied modules unless the one you want isn't available.

If you get into using exotic modules, you'll probably want to install
your own Perl and maintain a separate installation of CPAN modules for
it. Much of dpkg and other system tools make use of Perl, so it's best
to not modify it too far from stock,

--
Avi

--
Avi

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
CJ Tres

Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"

Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell not
being a programmer.
Anyone have a clue?

If I do

apt-cache search perl std class

In the results is:

libclass-std-perl - Support for creating standard "inside-out" classes

Which is probably what you want. For CPAN modules in the repositories,
generally you find they take the name of the module on CPAN:

Std::Class

Make it all lower-case:

std::class

Replace any double-colons with a hyphen:

std-class

then put it between 'lib' and '-perl':

libstd-class-std-perl

"Unable to locate libstd-class-std-perl"

I did find one page that suggested installing libclass-std-utils-perl
(also for creating standard "inside-out" classes according to the
package info) it listed libversion-perl as a dependency which I also
installed, but afterward, running "perl -e 'use Class::Std'", it yielded
the same error about not locating Class/Std.pm - same as when trying to
install the software, which the maintainer tells me means I don't have
the module installed.

Ah well... I thought I might learn something but according to the
maintainer, it's an obscure and not commonly installed module and
thought it might be a successful work around if I could find the package
and install it.

Appreciate the reply.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Avi Greenbury

CJ Tres wrote:

> On 02/21/2012 05:32 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > CJ Tres wrote:
> >
> >> Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
> >> tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"
> >>
> >> Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell
> >> not being a programmer.
> >> Anyone have a clue?
> >>

> > If I do
> >
> > apt-cache search perl std class
> >
> "Unable to locate libstd-class-std-perl"

What do you get if you do an apt-cache search for it? Which version of
Ubuntu are you running? This is 12.04 I'm on now, so it's possible it's
simply not in older versions.

You can install it through cpanminus (which is a CPAN client), which
will install into the environment of the Perl which runs it (so if you
just run it, you'll have it on your system Perl). You're not likely to
cause any problems since it's not available in the repositories for you
(and so nothing's assuming the repo version).

https://github.com/miyagawa/cpanminus
briefly explains how to install cpanminus and then the module you want.

Generally, you need to install cpanminus:
curl -L http://cpanmin.us | perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

And then the module:
cpanm Std::Class

> Ah well... I thought I might learn something but according to the
> maintainer, it's an obscure and not commonly installed module and
> thought it might be a successful work around if I could find the
> package and install it.

If it's on the CPAN you can install it, and it is there:
https://metacpan.org/module/Class::Std
So you *could* download that tarball, extract it and then follow the
instructions in the INSTALL file, but you'll not get any dependency
resolution that way. Cpanminus (and, to a cruder extent, the 'standard'
CPAN shell in Perl) will deal with the dependencies for you.

--
Avi

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM
CJ Tres

Attempting to install a software I get an error that the maintainer
tells me indicates that "it needs the Perl module 'Std::Class'"

Googling I found nothing helpful, at least as near as I can tell
not being a programmer.
Anyone have a clue?

If I do

apt-cache search perl std class

"Unable to locate libstd-class-std-perl"

What do you get if you do an apt-cache search for it? Which version of
Ubuntu are you running? This is 12.04 I'm on now, so it's possible it's
simply not in older versions.

This is Natty.

texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX supplementary packages
libclass-std-perl - Support for creating standard "inside-out" classes
libclass-std-utils-perl - Utility subroutines for building "inside-out"
objects

libproc-reliable-perl - Perl module to run external processes reliably

[...]

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
The developer is adding that module and letting me know when the new
version is available so I don't need to mess with it for now.

Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Christopher Sacchi

Check your coding and compiler. I am not familiar with Perl as much as C++.
Chris

Sent from my iPod

Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
CJ Tres

Check your coding and compiler. I am not familiar with Perl as much as C++.
Chris

Sent from my iPod

It was a pre-compiled binary.