-   -   Will removing only lib* packages affect the user experience? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/635699-will-removing-only-lib-packages-affect-user-experience.html)

Dotan Cohen 02-21-2012 09:53 AM

Will removing only lib* packages affect the user experience?

When updating with aptitude and removing packages to satisfy
dependencies, will removing only lib* packages affect the user
experience? This is one of the solutions presented to me by Aptitude:

✈saturn:desktop-integration$ sudo aptitude --full-resolver upgrade
linux-headers-3.0.0-16{a} linux-headers-3.0.0-16-generic{a}
linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic razorqt-appswitcher{a} razorqt-data{a}
razorqt-desktop{a} razorqt-panel{a} razorqt-runner{a} razorqt-session{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
flashplugin-downloader{u} libasound2{u} libasound2-plugins{u} libasyncns0{u}
libflac8{u} libjack-jackd2-0{u} libjson0{u} libnspr4-0d{u}
libnss3-1d{u} libogg0{u}
libpulse0{u} libsamplerate0{u} libsndfile1{u} libspeexdsp1{u} libvorbis0a{u}
libvorbisenc2{u} libwrap0{u} nspluginviewer{u} nspluginwrapper{u}
razor-appswitcher{u} razor-data{u} razor-desktop{u} razor-panel{u}
razor-runner{u}
razor-session{u}
accountsservice apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin
apache2.2-common enigmail evince evince-common firefox firefox-globalmenu
firefox-locale-en flashplugin-installer ghostscript ghostscript-cups
ghostscript-x
gimp{b} gimp-data gir1.2-gtk-3.0 google-chrome-beta ifupdown
libaccountsservice0
libapache2-mod-php5 libbabl-0.0-0 libevince3-3 libgail-3-0
libgegl-0.0-0 libgimp2.0
libgphoto2-2 libgphoto2-l10n libgphoto2-port0 libgs9 libgs9-common libgtk-3-0
libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libicu44 libnautilus-extension1
libpng12-0 libpng12-0
libqtxdg0 librazorqt0 libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-common
libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-emailmerge
libreoffice-help-en-gb
libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common
libreoffice-kde
libreoffice-l10n-common libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-za
libreoffice-math libreoffice-style-oxygen libreoffice-writer
libservlet2.5-java
libssl1.0.0 libssl1.0.0 libtomcat6-java libusbmuxd1 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
libvorbisfile3 linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
linux-libc-dev nautilus nautilus-data openssl opera-next php5
php5-cli php5-common
python-software-properties python-uno razorqt software-properties-common
software-properties-gtk software-properties-kde thunderbird
thunderbird-globalmenu
toggl-desktop tomcat6 tomcat6-common ttf-opensymbol uno-libs3
update-manager-core
update-manager-kde update-notifier-common ure usbmuxd x11-common
xorg xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all
101 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 315 MB of archives. After unpacking 263 MB will be used.
gimp: Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.2) but 2.30.0-0ubuntu4 is installed.
Remove the following packages:
1) adobereader-enu
2) ia32-libs-multiarch
3) libacl1
4) libatk1.0-0
5) libattr1
6) libaudio2
7) libavahi-client3
8) libavahi-common3
9) libc6
10) libcairo2
11) libcomerr2
12) libcups2
13) libcupsimage2
14) libcurl3
15) libdatrie1
16) libdb5.1
17) libdbus-1-3
18) libdrm-intel1
19) libdrm-nouveau1a
20) libdrm-radeon1
21) libdrm2
22) libexpat1
23) libffi6
24) libfontconfig1
25) libfreetype6
26) libgcc1
27) libgcrypt11
28) libgdbm3
29) libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
30) libgl1-mesa-dri
31) libgl1-mesa-glx
32) libglapi-mesa
33) libglib2.0-0
34) libgnutls26
35) libgpg-error0
36) libgssapi-krb5-2
37) libgtk2.0-0
38) libice6
39) libidn11
40) libjasper1
41) libjpeg62
42) libk5crypto3
43) libkeyutils1
44) libkrb5-3
45) libkrb5support0
46) liblcms1
47) libldap-2.4-2
48) libllvm2.9
49) libmng1
50) libnspr4
51) libnss3
52) libpango1.0-0
53) libpciaccess0
54) libpcre3
55) libpixman-1-0
56) libpng12-0
57) libqt4-dbus
58) libqt4-declarative
59) libqt4-designer
60) libqt4-network
61) libqt4-opengl
62) libqt4-qt3support
63) libqt4-script
64) libqt4-scripttools
65) libqt4-sql
66) libqt4-svg
67) libqt4-test
68) libqt4-xml
69) libqt4-xmlpatterns
70) libqtcore4
71) libqtgui4
72) librtmp0
73) libsasl2-2
74) libsasl2-modules
75) libselinux1
76) libsm6
77) libsqlite3-0
78) libssl1.0.0
79) libstdc++6
80) libtasn1-3
81) libthai0
82) libtiff4
83) libuuid1
84) libx11-6
85) libxau6
86) libxcb-render0
87) libxcb-shm0
88) libxcb1
89) libxcomposite1
90) libxcursor1
91) libxdamage1
92) libxdmcp6
93) libxext6
94) libxfixes3
95) libxft2
96) libxi6
97) libxinerama1
98) libxrandr2
99) libxrender1
100) libxss1
101) libxt6
102) libxxf86vm1
103) zlib1g

Keep the following packages at their current version:
104) gimp [2.7.4-2011102201~oo (now)]
105) gimp-data [2.7.4-2011102201~oo (now)]
106) libgimp2.0 [2.7.4-2011102201~oo (now)]

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
107) ia32-libs recommends ia32-libs-multiarch
108) ia32-libs-multiarch recommends libgl1-mesa-glx
109) ia32-libs-multiarch recommends libgl1-mesa-dri
110) libqtgui4 recommends libcups2

I see that I will loose adobereader, that is fine. Should I assume
that the other lib* packages will be replaced with similar tools? For
instance, lots of qt4 stuff is to be removed, can I assume that other
qt4 packages will replace it? The only qt packages that I see listed
as being upgreaded are libqtxdg0 and librazorqt0.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Avi Greenbury 02-21-2012 10:42 PM

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> When updating with aptitude and removing packages to satisfy
> dependencies, will removing only lib* packages affect the user
> experience? This is one of the solutions presented to me by Aptitude:

Removing *only* lib packages generally wont, but it might disable
optional features on some software. If something is dependent on the
lib package, then its removal will be triggered by trying to remove that
library.

Generally, I've found aptitude presents what is ostensibly The Right
Thing at that point and when you agree to it it suddenly springs a
bunch of removals on you, so if you use aptitude it's well worth paying
attention at the next bit. I've found apt-get substantially less insane
in this regard.

--
Avi

Dotan Cohen 02-22-2012 12:41 PM

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 01:42, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> When updating with aptitude and removing packages to satisfy
>> dependencies, will removing only lib* packages affect the user
>> experience? This is one of the solutions presented to me by Aptitude:
>
> Removing *only* lib packages generally wont, but it might disable
> optional features on some software. If something is dependent on the
> lib package, then its removal will be triggered by trying to remove that
> library.
>
> Generally, I've found aptitude presents what is ostensibly The Right
> Thing at that point and when you agree to it it suddenly springs a
> bunch of removals on you, so if you use aptitude it's well worth paying
> attention at the next bit. I've found apt-get substantially less insane
> in this regard.

Thanks, Avi. Actually I did the upgrade in Synaptic and it only
removed Gimp. I can live with that.

אברהם?‏

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Christopher Sacchi 02-22-2012 12:47 PM

Will removing only lib* packages affect the user experience?

Library files are part of the OS and apps. Try not to mess with it.
Chris

Sent from my iPod

Christopher Sacchi 02-22-2012 12:50 PM

Will removing only lib* packages affect the user experience?

Remember that library files are part of the OS and programs and shouldn't be destroyed, unless you need to uninstall apps from the Linux system when the GUI and package manager are disabled.
--Chris

Sent from my iPod

Dotan Cohen 02-22-2012 12:53 PM

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 15:47, Christopher Sacchi <thomasbtmn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Library files are part of the OS and apps. Try not to mess with it.
> Chris
>
> Sent from my iPod

Right, but if someApp requires libSomething and I see that Aptitude is
removing libSomething but not someApp, then it is likely that
libSomething is being replaced with libSomething++.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Avi Greenbury 02-22-2012 01:33 PM

Christopher Sacchi wrote:

> Remember that library files are part of the OS and programs and
> shouldn't be destroyed, unless you need to uninstall apps from the
> Linux system when the GUI and package manager are disabled. --Chris

Well, being part of the OS and programs only affords them the same
protection as those programs, surely? :)

I've got many lib files on my PC that nothing much depends on.
Arguably, any that're installed and not needed *should* turn up in an
autoremove (unless you've explicitly installed them), but I think that
if they're only recommended by a package they still don't get
autoremoved.

For example, I've a few Perl scripts that use WWW::Mechanize
(libwww-mechanize-perl) to interact with some forms. If
Net::SSLeay (libnet-ssleay-perl) is available, they're able do that over
https.

If I remove libnet-ssleay-perl, I don't break those scripts per-se, but
I do remove their https capability, which is the sort of thing I meant
when I said you could reduce functionality.

I've other scripts that use LWP (libwww-perl), and on machines that have
had to run that script, this package has been installed. Possibly,
nothing else on the server uses that, in which case it would be entirely
safe to remove that lib package without breaking anything.

--
Avi